Renaming the G-word (hint: fighter-mages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRR_Talking

First Post
RM has some good terms for its classes

warrior-mage is fine for a fighter-wizard
mountebank implies a wizard-thief to me.
personally the term rogue to me implies a fighter-thief

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I like spellsword or mageblade, too. While I know one of the appeals of the word that rhymes with dish is that it's short and only one syllable, "barbarian," "paladin," and "sorcerer" are not exactly short words, either.

I knew things had progressed beyond the point of sanity when Noonan himself used the word - and words like "weaksauce." Even if WoW elements do end up in 4e because of their usefulness in design, can't we please leave all of the WoW lingo out of it?

Cheers,
Cam

Shemeska

Adventurer
hero4hire said:
The origins of Rhymes with Dish are pretty cool, but I myself hate that it commonly applies to any fighter/wizard now.

Amen. As a cultural term used by former illithid slaves on the Astral, it's damn cool. But not as a generic term for any random fighter/wizard, and not once the CO board got a hold of it.

Delta

First Post
In the past in my campaign I've called them "Myrmidon". I'd really like to have some natural, historical something for that class option (like paladin, ranger, witch, etc.) None of the sword-mage, battle-sorcerer, spell-sword hyphenated/compound words do it for me.

And I'd call the thing we're trying to get rid of as "the word that rhymes with fish", because that's definitely what I think of when I read it, completely with stinky smell, ugh.

Korgoth

First Post
"Elf"! "Fighter/Magic-User" and "Fighter-Mage" are also acceptable.

The "rhymes with dish" is total "weaksauce". And "weaksauce" is "weaksauce". +1 to Cam on that one.

Drowbane

First Post
Hack'n'Slash-a-mancer?

Battle-mage

Red Mage (FF, not FR)

I have no problem with that g-word-that-people-are-silly-enough-edit-for-no-good-reason, but sometimes its fun to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads