• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Renaming the G-word (hint: fighter-mages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drowbane

First Post
Eldritch Knight is rather cool. Sounds like it would be a setting specific gish.
Moggthegob said:
J'accuse!!!! Way to Threadcrap man...
Meh, its a word (pseudo-word?). I'm not going to dance around it cause it bugs like 5 people over the intarwebs.

Robert Ranting said:
Being an AE fan, I of course default to "mageblade".

However, I do also like:

Spellsword
Mageknight
Warmage
Witchblade
Athame
Arcanamach

Robert "Honestly, I don't really mind 'fish' either" Ranting

Of all those listed so far, I'd be most likely to use Athame... I think.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Drowbane said:
I have no problem with Gish, but sometimes its fun to reinvent the wheel.
I never heard the term until a few years ago.

Warrior-Mage is the term that springs to mind when i think of a combatant-caster combo, though I do like Mage-Knight

Tarek

Explorer
Spellsword... this has the advantage that it has independently appeared in fantasy novels that have nothing to do with D&D and describes the concept very well. It has the disadvantage of being tied to a specific D&D prestige class, though.

Witchblade and Athame are the same thing, a tool in ritual magic, and lacks the "generic" connotations needed for a class/class combo name.

Warmage could easily mean a mage whose spell list is primarily centered around evocations and other mass-combat sorts of spells, and may or may not mean he has any ability to draw a sword and fight. Same with battlemage.

Eldritch Knight implies the existance of an Order of Knighthood, code of conduct and all...

I'd go with Spellsword, myself.

Drowbane

First Post
frankthedm said:
I never heard the term until a few years ago

I first heard it sometime between 95' and 97'... but back then it only (in my circles) applied to Githyanki Fighter/Magi. I believe it goes back another 5-10yrs though.

Warlock is the term in my homebrew.... while any members of the warlock class (who are known in character as such :p) are declared "Witch!!".. usually followed by an attempted "stake'n'bake".

Last edited:

Delta

First Post
blargney the second said:
Heh - that works too! I hate dishes and I love fishes, so you can see why I chose the way I did. :) Fortunately, we're both right!

Sure, I'm a big seafood guy myself, but sometimes things go bad. Like the multiclass that shall not be named.

I must admit, the only the thing in the thread that really sparked my imagination was "witchblade". As much as I'd like to not use a compound word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads