• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Renaming the G-word (hint: fighter-mages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklone

Whimsical said:
This is a word you can use right away, and just about everyone would know what you are talking about.

Jedi

The ultimate fighter/wizard.
Psywar or fighter/priest...

Jolly Giant

First Post
'Skald' comes pretty close, historically speaking. They were supposed to be good at both fighting and magic.

However, since I don't speak all that much about fighter/wizards off-game, I don't really find it too time-comsuming to just say 'fighter/wizard'. In-game, I use many different names and titles. It depends on which part of the campaign world the fighter/wizard in question comes from. Most of those names have already been mentioned, I think.

Even so, here are some of my favorites:

Eldritch knight/warrior/blade.
Spellsword/spellhammer/spellaxe.
Warrior mage/warmage.
Mageblade/magehammer.
Finally, in one region of my campaing world there is a legendary and mysterious fighter/wizard who's real name is unknown. He simply calls himself Spear. (Call me Spear." I based him on Snake Plisken from 'Escape from LA'! ;) ) He is (in)famous enough that 'spear' has become a by-word for fighter/wizards in that part of the world.

PS: Oh, and a rogue/wizard is an arcane trickster; even if if he isn't a member of that particular PrC. The name just feels so right! :cool:

Jolly Giant said:
PS: Oh, and a rogue/wizard is an arcane trickster; even if if he isn't a member of that particular PrC. The name just feels so right! :cool:
I always expect the arcane trickster to use ghost sound to create flatulence noises when the king sits down on his throne. Or stinking cloud when fake vomit just isn't good enough. Trickster just doesn't work for me.

As for the main topic any combination of warrior/fighter with mage/wizard is fine by me. Don't really see the need for any specialized term. When in doubt, use "adventurer" to describe someone.

wildstarsreach

First Post
On another note the Duskblade is a bad name for the class which I am greatly happy with.

Two things annoy meare that they didn't put restrictions that made sense. If the name is Duskblade, a blade implies a sword, not any weapon that they want to optimize this. Also, Arcane Channeling should be arcane spells only if they are using from other classes such as Divine spells they would not be effective.

bowbe

First Post
Dr. Seuss said:
Who am I?
My name is Ish.
On my hand I have a dish.

I have this dish
to help me wish.

When I wish to make a wish
I wave my hand with a big swish swish.
Then I say, "I wish for fish!"
And I get fish right on my dish.

So...
if you wish to wish a wish,
you may swish for fish
with my Ish wish dish.

Sorry I couldn't resist. Pardon the thread jack.

Case

Darklone

Jolly Giant said:
Finally, in one region of my campaing world there is a legendary and mysterious fighter/wizard who's real name is unknown. He simply calls himself Spear. (Call me Spear." I based him on Snake Plisken from 'Escape from LA'! ;) ) He is (in)famous enough that 'spear' has become a by-word for fighter/wizards in that part of the world
Yoinked.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Warmage or Battlemage, perhaps. It's a tricky one, though. :\

I prefer a multiclassing option, but anyway. . .

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
On a related note, I just set up a profanity filter in firefox that replaces all instances of rhymes with dish with battlemage. The world is a much happier place. :) I think I might just go try it out for a spin on the CO boards. *grin*
-blarg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads