• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Renaming the G-word (hint: fighter-mages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Polite notice:

If you think it would be funny to use the 'word-that-rhymes-with-dish' in this thread, think again.

I would have thought my humorous removal of the first instance would have made the point, but apparently not, as three people have since thought it clever to use it. I've deleted those posts.

If you can't play nicely in this thread, don't play in it at all.

If I see it happen again, there will be bannings. There are thousands of threads where you can use the word freely, do so there. Not here.

You have been warned!

Clavis

First Post
I'm for warrior-mage.
It's a nice, generic name, and so cries out to to be given a custom name in different campaigns.
I like the idea of the class. It's an old fantasy archetype (Malagigi or Maugris in the medieval legends of Charlemagne was a knight skilled in magic), and I've always thought it should have been available as a human class in D&D from the beginning.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
blargney the second said:
On a related note, I just set up a profanity filter in firefox that replaces all instances of rhymes with dish with battlemage. The world is a much happier place. :) I think I might just go try it out for a spin on the CO boards. *grin*
-blarg

Now we only need to find an audio-filter also. That way, when we speak to those friends who insist on using the "word that shall not be said" we don't need to worry about the urge of strangling them. I actually have a friend who likes the word. It's horrible. But since he is a really good fellow otherwise, I'm willing to overlook this profanity.

shilsen

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
Polite notice:

If you think it would be funny to use the 'word-that-rhymes-with-dish' in this thread, think again.

I would have thought my humorous removal of the first instance would have made the point, but apparently not, as three people have since thought it clever to use it. I've deleted those posts.

If you can't play nicely in this thread, don't play in it at all.

If I see it happen again, there will be bannings. There are thousands of threads where you can use the word freely, do so there. Not here.

You have been warned!
Whoops! I'd skimmed the first page and completely missed where you'd done so, especially since there's no post by you mentioning it. Won't happen again.

BadMojo

First Post
I kind of like Fighter Mage. It seems like there have been a tons of riffs on the x-blade name in fantasy lately, so for me simple is better.

Arnwyn

First Post
Warrior-mage or fighter-mage.

Cam Banks said:
I knew things had progressed beyond the point of sanity when Noonan himself used the word
Yeah, I just shook my head when he started prattling on about that. Sad.

szilard

First Post
Martial Arcanist?

Is that too silly?

Warrior-Mage or Battlemage works for me.

I'd prefer to avoid things with "blade" or "sword" in them, since... you know... not everyone uses a blade or sword.

Though, honestly, I don't mind the rhyming vernacular as long as it isn't used in character or anything.

-Stuart

The_Gneech

Explorer
I've been referring to warrior-mages as warrior-mages since the 1980s and I have no intention of stopping now.

-The Gneech, warrior-mage of legacy :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads