• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why does WotC hate Macs?

breschau

First Post
So, I've railed against Gleemax for some time due to my inability to log in, read links posted here that direct to those forums, and my fear that D&DI will be linked to Gleemax in some way.

It is common knowledge that D&DI will not support Mac OSX, much to the chagrin of us Mac users. Automatically cutting off 10% of your customer base is bad business. I'm using the general Apple market share here, though there are strong arguments for a higher % of Mac users in the RPG community.

What I've found is that—like Hotmail—Gleemax simply doesn't work with Safari anymore. I have made the transition to Safari a while ago, switching from Firefox, because I can't stand IE. At first when I've attempted to log onto Gleemax with Safari I got the "we own your brain message," but in the last few days, it has utterly failed to open. My Gleemax forum bookmarks don't work (fail to open), opening fresh links from the main D&D site fail to open, nothing. Gleemax simply doesn't work with Safari. Now, just on a lark, I tried getting onto Gleemax with Firefox—lo and behold—it worked just fine.

Woo-hoo! Just like Microsoft, WotC seems to be actively preventing the Mac community from accessing their sites. Now, this is not a "I'll boycott" thread, so don't get into that. I'm just pissed that after a few months of Gleemax working on a spotty basis—or not working at all—they have simply ceased to exist for Safari users.

As a note: Safari is a free browser that works on all PCs and Macs, so denying Safari isn't just limiting Mac users, it's limiting lots of other people as well.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Cause Mac supports Terrorist! (old joke amongst my friends)

Seriously, I dunno. Does WoTC actually own Gleemax, or is part of a conglomerate of stuff? There could be some backdoor issues there.

Incenjucar

Legend
The programming community has, by and large, avoided dealing with Apple software, hence the smaller number of programs that actually work on the things without virtualization or dual-booting.

It's just the nature of the thing. MS is more open, but more hazardous, Apple is more secure and robust, but with fewer options.

ascendance

First Post
I'm just wondering why anyone would be using Safari. Unless you're browsing from an iPhone, there's just so many other robust browsers out there... Firefox, Opera...

Incenjucar

Legend
Safari is supposedly the fastest thing out there, browser-wise.

I might use it myself but the thing it does to fonts is like stabbing myself in the eyes.

I don't know anything about software development but what would it cost to write the whole DDI to be both PC and Mac (and while your at it Linux!) compat? Too much, I guess, for the 10% or so to be a worthwhile market.
As for Gleemax, I have never had any problems on it (and I use IE, FF and Opera) so are all the Gleemax complaints from Mac/ Safari users? Just because I am nosey:) Any issue with Safari is probably the same as you get some issues on other sites with FF, IE is the most 'slack' browser when it comes to reading your web page therefore will accept a lot more 'not wuite right' stuff. I would imagine Safari is quite strict. Who's fault is this? Well both Safari (because it is no use being too strict if it reduces your usefulness) and WotC (for not making Gleemax more compliant with web standards). Just IMO, and a guess from experience, rather than a fact from real knowledge about these things;)

Just IM'd a software writing friend of mine and to add Mac compat to something like this could cost in the region of 30 to 50% more. For 10% of the market place, is big money o_O

Remove ads