An Alternative Problem.

Jemal

Adventurer
So here's the situation :
I've been thinking lately (something I like to try every once in a while so my brain doesn't atrophy too much), and I've been thinking of a particular setting that I thought would make for a great campaign.
Unfortunately, I have several problems with this. SO, I'm going to outline my problems FIRST, then the setting which has intrigued me so, and you can all think on them while reading it.

Problem 1: It's a setting that I'd rather play than DM (Though that doesn't mean it's out of the question, the same is true for most of my games *L* That's just how I run games, as ones I'd like to play)
Problem 2: I don't know what system it would work best in. Part of me wants to set it in D&D for simplicity and b/c I love the D&D system, but I think it may be better suited for World of Darkness or D20 Modern.
Problem 3: Power Level of campaign.. what kind of challenge should such a setting provide? Higher level/more powerful characters need more powerful challenges, obviously, which affects the campaign world significantly.

Now that those're outa the way, here's my idea:

The world is dead.
Ok, not ALL the world.. just most of the civilized and intelligent parts of it. Disaster struck, people died, and what was left was not a fun place.. well, some think it's fun, but they're kind crazy. The lot of you has managed to band together within an old abandoned city/castle, but it won't remain safe for long if you don't do something.. but what to do? Build here, and hope other survivors find you? Or go out and try to find them?

*Depending on setting, it could either be a world over-run with supernatural threats (D20 modern/World of darkness), or Monsters [mostly evil/nonintelligent] (D&D).

Thoughts, Anybody?

Halford

First Post
Well, I've not played anything but DnD to be honest, so I'm not sure how helpful my opinion will be - but hey I'll give it anyway.

It seems doable in DnD, maybe in the wake of one of the Elder Evils? If the survivalist are to have a hope it seems easier to assume that the world has been destroyed, rather than taken over by something, malignant but focused upon destruction rather than conquering. This leaves us free to suppose that savage creatures have repopulated civilized areas, and maybe even that some civilized races have fallen to barbarism.

Problem 3: It seems more appropriate for a low powered game, this can often engender a more dangerous feel to the game. Especially if you are prepared to run in a Darksun style where challenges are high and back up PCs may be necessary. It seems like a game where the PCs ought to learn to run almost as often as not - with the right encounters this can be extremely exciting in my experience. One of my favorite games involved us being chased by an Inevitable - good times. You alter history in your favor, one time whilst on a mission to save the world and everyone gets on your back...

Problem 1: Can't help you there, still trying to get my Dunnjinni working so I can post in my own game - soon I promise.

Problem 2: DnD, its always DnD - I knows what I like 'n I'm stickin' with it!

Incidently for a great survival horror DnD game which sounds similarish to what you want you might want to try reading the thread Lessons from DMing for my Girlfriend on the Wizards general forum in which he describes in detail a halloween game which I would have given my hind teeth to be part of. Perfect and exceedingly creepy. I'd provide a link, but I'm a lazy lazy man.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I think a low-powered campaign is a good idea and for some reason I have a sense that 1st edition AD&D or Castles and Crusades might be the way to go. There is less structure with these which allows for DM fiat. The characters are more mortal than in 3rd or 4th edition which leads to them being more fearful also. If I were to do so, I'd run it under C&C and allow for 3.5 character class and racial conversions.

OutlawJT

First Post
1) Man do you have my sympathy on this one. Can't say how often I see or think up something I want to play in but never have the DM to run. I try running games I would want to play in as well. Sometimes it can be painful too because I will get my players to certain parts and my soul will just be screaming to be on the other side of the screen for them.

2) All of the mentioned systems can be tailored to fit the post-apocalypse mold. D20 modern actually has WOTC content created specifically for the type of setting you described actually. That probably makes it the easiest system to use starting out but some preparation on the DM's part should be able to make up for that. Might take a few sessions to get it running smoothly but it can certainly be done in any of those systems. My advice, just pick the one you like the most and put in whatever prep work is necessary to tailor the system to the setting.

3) Starting out I would have to agree with low power. The setting as described sounds like the game should be more about survival than defeating evil. I agree with Halford that it would probably be the kind of game where the fun comes in escaping from the encounters alive rather than in actually defeating enemies (not to say that that shouldn't happen too, just that it shouldn't be the focus of combat). Maybe it could evolve to high power once the players manage to stabilize their own base of operations. Until then I think low power would suit the setting better, though.

Jemal

Adventurer
I think I agree with you all on the low powered aspect. I'd like to stay away from less-commonly used systems b/c I'm more familiar with the three I stated (Nothing against 1st ed, I loved it, but It's been far too long, and I've never played C&C. ALso, I don't have the apocalypse d20 info, and dislike having to resort to online source material), and b/c there's more chance of whoever wants to join being able to get access to one of those three (d20 modern, World of Darkness, D&D 3.5)

I've also contemplated 4th ed, but it has the same problem as less-used systems : I'm not familiar with it (yet).

Outlaw - One of the original aspects for the setting I had would be that it's partly about survival, partly about finding OTHER survivors, and partly about rebuilding. I see combat as being there, just like in any RPG, but it's mostly to keep things 'interesting' and provide challenge/danger to propel the story forwards.

Graf

Explorer
Sounds a bit like my ePoL concept or really -any- world that pushes PoL into post-apocalyptic territory.

Personally I think that your game system should reflect the sort of game you want to play, not really the setting. If you want brooding drama I know some people who get a lot of millage out of All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

nWoD is a natural choice for modern + gloomy, though it's a frustrating system to run unless everyone is on the exact same page.

The setting you're describing is pretty close to Omega World (from the dungeon magazine game). That game can be awesome, but people have to appreciate the spirit. It's not good for serious power gamers but it's fantastic for people who have a sense of humor (or irony).

Personally, I'd agree with your "instinct" that DnD is good. As you've presented it's just extreme-PoL/post-apocalyptic. The system is balanced, the rules are well known, etc etc. Unless you need something that DnD doesn't support I'd be inclined to go with it.

Jemal

Adventurer
not sure what E6 or PoL stand for.

As for needing something not supported, well I've always been ok with making :):):):) up.

Allright, since nobody's stepped forward and solved Problem # 1 (Not that I really expected it, but I did have hopes), I'm going to solve the other two :

All in favour of the aforementioned system (more details to be posted soon) set in a D&D world and starting low level (6 or under, depends on concepts) please post a character concept and what level you think would work best for said concept.

Zweischneid

First Post
Jemal said:
not sure what E6 or PoL stand for.

PoL means Point of Light. It's the 4e Desgin delineation for the 'default' D&D game.

WotC's Design&Development said:
The Dungeons & Dragons game assumes many things about its setting: The world is populated by a variety of intelligent races, strange monsters lurk on other planes, ancient empires have left ruins across the face of the world, and so on. But one of the new key conceits about the D&D world is simply this: Civilized folk live in small, isolated points of light scattered across a big, dark, dangerous world.

Most of the world is monster-haunted wilderness. The centers of civilization are few and far between, and the world isn’t carved up between nation-states that jealously enforce their borders. A few difficult and dangerous roads tenuously link neighboring cities together, but if you stray from them you quickly find yourself immersed in goblin-infested forests, haunted barrowfields, desolate hills and marshes, and monster-hunted badlands. Anything could be waiting down that old overgrown dwarf-built road: a den of ogre marauders, a forgotten tower where a lamia awaits careless travelers, a troll’s cave, a lonely human village under the sway of a demonic cult, or a black wood where shadows and ghosts thirst for the blood of the living.

Given the perilous nature of the world around the small islands of civilization, many adventures revolve around venturing into the wild lands. For example:

Roads are often closed by bandits, marauders such as goblins or gnolls, or hungry monsters such as griffons or dragons. The simple mission of driving off whomever or whatever is preying on unfortunate travelers is how many young heroes begin their careers.

Since towns and villages do not stay in close contact, it’s easy for all sorts of evils to befall a settlement without anyone noticing for a long time. A village might be terrorized by a pack of werewolves or enslaved by an evil wizard, and no one else would know until adventurers stumbled into the situation.

Many small settlements and strongholds are founded, flourish for a time, and then fall into darkness. The wild lands are filled with forgotten towers, abandoned towns, haunted castles, and ruined temples. Even people living only a few miles away from such places might know them only by rumor and legend.
The common folk of the world look upon the wild lands with dread. Few people are widely traveled—even the most ambitious merchant is careful to stick to better-known roads. The lands between towns or homesteads are wide and empty. It might be safe enough within a day’s ride of a city or an hour’s walk of a village, but go beyond that and you are taking your life into your hands. People are scared of what might be waiting in the old forest or beyond the barren hills at the far end of the valley, because whatever is out there is most likely hungry and hostile. Striking off into untraveled lands is something only heroes and adventurers do.

Another implication of this basic conceit of the world is that there is very little in the way of authority to deal with raiders and marauders, outbreaks of demon worship, rampaging monsters, deadly hauntings, or similar local problems. Settlements afflicted by troubles can only hope for a band of heroes to arrive and set things right. If there is a kingdom beyond the town’s walls, it’s still largely covered by unexplored forest and desolate hills where evil folk gather. The king’s soldiers might do a passable job of keeping the lands within a few miles of his castle free of monsters and bandits, but most of the realm’s outlying towns and villages are on their own.

In such a world, adventurers are aberrant. Commoners view them as brave at best, and insane at worst. But such a world is rife with the possibility for adventure, and no true hero will ever lack for a villain to vanquish or a quest to pursue.

Remove ads