The Knights of Ill Fortune (or the Chronicles of Kale, Agent of the Empire)

Morrow

First Post
In a sense this campaign was inspired by Contact's Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, a campaign that derives a lot of black humor from it's massive body count.

I suggested to a few gamers of my acquaintance that it might be fun if I ran a game with the stated purpose of killing lots of characters. They would have a chance to play all those character concepts that might be fun for a session or two, but who they don't want to be stuck playing long term. I thought the idea would go over like a lead balloon. It shows what I know.

I'm not going to try to keep a strict Story Hour here, I'm just going to ask the players to toss up session reports, character information, and whatnot as the mood strikes them. Hopefully we'll get different chunks of the overall story told by different characters. After only one session I have discovered that characters with life expectancies of less than a month tend to develop some pretty interesting character flaws.

Last edited:

Morrow

First Post
Shinobi Killfist

The first character in our honored company is Shinobi Killfist. On paper this accomplished half-orc is a 1st level rogue/ fighter. But in his own mind... Well, just take a look at this quote from a recent email.

Don't worry. If you show up late, I'll control your character.

I have little doubt you'll be following his lead anyway. He is, after all, a NINJA! A ruler of the night! Master of swordplay and assassination! All the women worship him, and all the men fear him. He's a slam-bang honest-to-goodness three-fisted humdinger. He's a bona fide supraman, and the faster you all learn to follow his lead, the better.

Morrow

Last edited:

Forrester

First Post
My name is Shinobi Killfist.

My name is Shinobi Killfist.

I have climbed the highest mountain and swum the deepest ocean, both in the same day and without a bathroom break. I once defended a village of midgets from rampaging psionic half-dragon illithid ogres using nothing more than a half-empty flask of holy water and a small lathe. They sang songs in my honor, after which I asked them to stop, quickly. In my spare time I make masterwork weapons in less than half the time projected by a careful reading of the PHB. All the women call me Treetop Lover, and all the men just call me ‘Sir’. I am the Alpha and the Omega, as well as the Beta and the Zeta on the second Monday of every month. To know me is to fear me, to fear me is to love me, to love me is to need me, and to need me is to wonder whether I can find the time to fit you into my busy schedule.

I can fit you into my busy schedule. I have cut the hair of kings and queens, and am always left a hefty tip. I am a poet, a painter, a sculptor, and have killed more men than God. Last summer I arm-wrestled a titan. I have eaten troll, dragon, and demon, and washed it down with the blood of the Tarrasque. I can throw large objects with no range penalty. I once talked a high-level diplomat into giving me all of his magic items. He thanked me for my company afterwards, and we went for a beer. It was on him.

I help old women across the street, whether they want to cross the street or not. I have never missed in combat. To relax, I knit +5 scarves. I once sold one of my toenails for fourteen gold pieces. Children ask me to autograph their foreheads. I spontaneously combust every twenty minutes, and it does wonders for my complexion. I take 20 on untrained Knowledge checks. Women consider most of my body parts to be epic-level magic items. I once looked into a Mirror of Opposition, but my double was too scared of me to come out.

My name is Shinobi Killfist, and you are lucky to have me traveling with you. So where in the hell are we going?

jeffwik

First Post
In a nutshell...

The party meets a farmer and does him a favor in exchange for breakfast. Farmer does not show up to buy breakfast at the appointed time. Party hurries back to farm to wreak crunchy vengeance and take the breakfast by force, if necessary. Party finds farmer dead, trampled to death by Evil Mind-Controlling Horses. Party gets excited, because they can take the farmer's livestock and sell it! Party fights off Evil Mind-Controlling Horses. Guards ride up and suggest party chase Evil Mind-Controlling Horses back to their source. Party instead tries to claim the farmer's estate based on his owing them. Owing them breakfast (valued at four copper pieces). Party searches farm for loot.

My character is Thror Urthwerker Dwarrowdelver Hammersmith Swordaxe Steelbeard Potentaxe Arkenstone, dwarven cleric of the god of the laws of the dead. Thror is the de jure party leader, because he keeps saying he is. Thror demands respect from the puny commoners, because he has healing magic. As a priest of the (LN) death god, Thror is empowered to put a good or bad word in with the Judge, and decide whether you belong in Heaven or Hell. Thror sells healing at a rate of thirty pieces of silver per two hit points healed.

Thror also wears heavy armor and has a strength of 10, which means his base move is only 15'. If he runs (speed 45') he can keep up with Throdizar's single move rate (40').

Last edited:

Forrester

First Post
Shinobi here.

Now sit back on that tremendous chunk of flesh you call an ass and listen to my story.

Not that it’s much of a story so far. The time I beat Thor in a pissing contest – now THAT was a story. That boy could drink! Or that night I spent with those succubi . . . damn. I mean, damn. Worth every lost level, let me tell you. But this? This barely qualifies. But what the hell, right? So here we go.

I’ll skip the background. It reads like a bad Forgotten Realms novel. I honestly doubt that you are so bored you want me to drone on and on about this lord and that country and our great quest and blah blah blah and I’m slipping into a coma even as I speak. Trust me, I’m doing you a favor. It suffices to say that I, Shinobi Killfist, demigod and Ninja Extraordinaire was traveling north with three “companions”.

The first is a half-orc whose name escapes me. I just call him “Brother”. He’s quite stupid, in an endearing Homer Simpson sort of way.

The second is a dwarf whose name is something along the lines of Thror GreedyBastard. A cleric, of course, though he does an excellent impersonation of a turtle. He insists that he will be charging me for healing. If I ever got hit in combat, I would be quite worried about that, as I spent my last 10,000gp on this cute little Solar I know. Imprison me baby . . . mmmm. But I digress.

The third is a half-elf pseudo-paladin named Gwaedaheelahae. Or something. I stopped paying attention after the third syllable and the seventh vowel. He likes shooting things from far away. How un-elflike!

So anyway, there we are. Walking north. Slowly, because Thror is encased in heavy armor. You could cut the tension with a yawn . . . when suddenly, out of NOWHERE, we see this OLD MAN! Trying to SADDLE his HORSES!!!!

“Wow”, you’re saying. “That’s . . . that’s, well, really dull. Can you tell us the story about the succubi instead?” No, I can’t, Timmy. I have to tell this story, because it’s Morrow’s story hour, and I don’t want him getting all upset. So sit your ass back down.

Anyway, so he can’t saddle his horses. Stupid commoner. But it gives us a lame excuse to talk to him. Long story short, we help the pathetic sod and ask him about the town nearby.

I don’t remember much . . . but I do remember that he said there were bells there. And something about a dragon that got killed 50 years ago. And they make bells there. Also, he’s had some nightmares. And I did I mention the bells?

Great. Just great. Here we are walking into a Kevin Kulp module and we don’t even have anyone psionic. I’m not worried, of course, as I’m immune to psionics (it’s all a part of the Shinobi template), but my companions are as good as toast. D’oh!

So we talk a bit with Old Man Exposition, and he says that he’ll treat us for breakfast the next day in town. Well, I’m not one to turn down a free breakfast, and I can tell from the drool dripping down the dwarf’s chin that he’s not one to turn one down either. We accept.

It’s getting late, so we head into town. We hit the market, look at the local yokels, run into some nut who has had some weird visions . . . all pretty standard just-got-into-town stuff. A couple bumpkins bump into me (see, that’s why they call them bumpkins). They knock their coin purses into my pocket – a shame, that. When I get a spare moment I’ll have to turn over their goods to the local constable. Anyway, everyone seems kind of grumpy – you know, like they Haven’t Had Much Sleep Lately. If I were a smarter demigod, I’d say that this is a Clew.

Now that we’re through with the mingling, the local Mayor decides to hold an impromptu town meeting. He gives a little speech about the random crap happening – don’t ask for details, I didn’t take notes – and says that the local Heroes are out hunting for the Missing Children. Awwww, there are missing children. Isn’t that terrible? That would be a plot hook if I gave a crap. Maybe, though, there might be some money in finding them. That’s what Thror GreedyBastard thinks, and he talks to the local Sheriff-type about the possibility of a reward. He is, unfortunately, blown off – the Sheriff says that the Local Heroes can take care of it, thank you very much, yes they’ve been gone for a couple days but they’ll be back soon, you can count on it.

Riiiiiiiight.

So we go to bed. I will spare you the amusing tale of keeping Brother out of my room, not to mention my tormenting of the local innkeeper. Point is that at some point, we all fall asleep. And – Dum-dum-DUMMMMMMMMM! – we all have, as expected, Bad Dreams. I’ve had worse – I remember this one time I had a dream that I had nothing to eat but elf pudding for ten days in a row, that was pretty bad. But that’s not the point. The point is that we had bad dreams, thus further entangling us in the Plot. Got it? Good.

So we wake up. I wake up a little early, actually, and scoot around town doing a little spying. You know, just to make sure that everyone is on the up-and-up. I don’t see anything too suspicious, and so I head back to the inn. After all, Old Man Exposition is supposed to be feeding us, right?

Well, surprise surprise, Old Man Exposition isn’t there. I wonder. Could he be dead? That’d be predictable, I mean, the natural next step in the plotline of a well-written module. Elf-boy is concerned about the old man, and GreedyBastard and I are pissed off that the old fart welshed on his promise to feed us breakfast. Brother, well, Brother pretty much goes wherever you tell him to go. We point him south, towards the old man’s farm, and kick him in the shorts. He heads off in that direction, and we follow.

After about five minutes, we realize that he could be eating breakfast without us. This really pisses Brother and I off, and we decide to hustle the rest of the way, leaving the slo-mo and Elf-boy behind. We get there in twenty or so minutes. The place, well, the place is deserted. We sniff around a little bit, and are less than surprised to find Old Man Exposition’s corpse in the barn. I confess that we were a little surprised to find hooveprints embedded in his forehead. But these things happen, right?

Brother goes outside to snoop around while I search the old man’s body for clues. I find some, but not as much as I’d like. I proceed to the old fogey’s little hut, and proceed prying up floorboards and rummaging through cupboards looking for more clues. Nothing! I still can’t believe he didn’t have anything in there. Not an old sword, not a sack of silver pieces, nothing. Damn. Well, I suppose we can always sell the horses.

Where are those horses anyway? I head outside to check. Brother is busy counting his toes, trying to get up to ‘6’. (He has seven.) I smack him in the back of the head and point to the two horses that are giving us dirty looks from across the field. Hmph. We draw our swords and approach them slowly. The chance that these are demon-possessed horses that happened to have a grudge against Old Man Exposition and so they killed him is small (and certainly ridiculously stupid – I mean, wouldn’t demon-possessed horses have something better to do with their time?), but it’s possible.

Yeah. Possible.

One of them gives me a dirty look. I ignore it. Brother walks up to one of them and, I don’t know, tries to put the halter or saddle or some other sort of horse-gear on him. And then a horse gives HIM a dirty look. He doesn’t ignore it -- all of a sudden, he becomes paralyzed with fear, or boredom, or something. Well, that’s just great. Luckily for the pace of this story, our two companions show up a round later. Elf-boy shoots a horsie a couple of times, and the two of them get all scared. They gallop off. Brother is unhurt, even though a horse tried to chew on him. Clumsy horses! Brother and I chase them for a half-minute or so, but soon face the facts – the dumb horses can, unfortunately, run faster than we can. That’s what I get for trading those Boots of Cheat to that cleric of Aphrodite for a bj. We all have weaknesses . . . yes, even Shinobi.

Now that Thror’s here, I talk to him a bit about our newfound treasure. Namely, three horses and two cows. The horses are valued at oh, I don’t know, perhaps 75gp each, and maybe the cows are about 30gp apiece. Treasure treasure treasure! Thror starts drooling, and I confess my mouth moistens a bit. Brother goes back to counting his toes.

Elf –boy, on the other hand, isn’t too fond of our plan to take all of the old man’s possessions. Thror points out that if the old man had family, they’d have been here to cook for him and such, not to mention save him from being trampled by demon-possessed horses. Also, the old man owed us for helping him saddle his horses – and, he never did treat us for breakfast like he promised. Makes sense to me! Unfortunately, it didn’t make sense to elf-boy. *sigh* So we decide to not go through with it. After all, there are folks on the road who just HAPPEN to be walking by, keeping an eye on us and harassing us about what just happened. Nosy bastards. Anyway, the Sheriff finds out about the death, shows up to investigate an hour later, buys my story about how we killed two horses and chased two off (and so should be entitled to a reward, duh), and then leaves. Talk about your useless NPCs.

But what about Your Heroes, you ask? Well, we are, naturally, bored. And pissed off at the demon-horses. And so, we decide to track them – I mean, they’re horses. One of them is bleeding. This shouldn’t be too hard. And it isn’t – we track them south, then northwest, towards the Mysterious Old Mine Where The Dragon Was Killed Fifty Years Ago. As we get close, the trail grows cold – but, we find a metal plate that leads down into a mine of some sort. It’s been bent back a couple times. In we go!

We descend. We walk around a little. We enter a cavern. Three heads start screaming, so we destroy them. We enter a room filled with beetles and tacky dragon art. We get attacked by four trog-zombies, three of which I dispatch personally (Brother nails the fourth).

And that, friends, is where we left it. I’ll tell you more – promise – in ten days or so. If you’re good.

Shinobi Killfist

incognito

First Post
I'll read this one if the sarcasm keeps up. Shinobi had a very nice, angry, 'it is my right!' type of pacing.

at the end, it lost track a bit.

Morrow

First Post
I think it's great that the whole party (well, nearly the whole party) whined and moaned all session about just wanting to start a fight, but when they finally got the chance to kick ass, Shinobi loses interest in the project. I guess it's hard to be sarcastic about laying a righteous butt-kicking on the spawn of the undead.

As y'all have probably figured out we are starting the campaign with Piratecat's Of Sound Mind. Of course we've added that particularly charming Knights of Ill Fortune bad attitude.

We couldn't get together this week, so you'll have to wait another week before our cranky, greedy heroes get the heaping helping of hurting they've got coming their way.

Morrow

Last edited:

Forrester

First Post
incognito said:
I'll read this one if the sarcasm keeps up. Shinobi had a very nice, angry, 'it is my right!' type of pacing.

at the end, it lost track a bit.

You may, of course, proceed to kiss my shiny metal ass. If I was trying to keep your interest, incognito, I would have made all of the NPCs 5-year old boys looking for a spanking.

That being said, I may flesh out the end at some point. But I have to be honest -- after you've killed storm giants with your bare hands, a little battle against some half-fiend half-dragon trog zombies is less than gripping, no matter how you spin it.

I could have defeated them all blindfolded with my right hand tied behind my back while taking a crap. I would have, too, but it takes a while to set something like that up, and I had hit the privy before we left. Maybe next time.

Shinobi

LuYangShih

First Post
This story hour would be much better if it focused more on Thror GreedyBastard. He's really got a deep, interesting personality, that reminds me of some great fantasy character from some book somewhere.

incognito

First Post
You may, of course, proceed to kiss my shiny metal ass. If I was trying to keep your interest, incognito, I would have made all of the NPCs 5-year old boys looking for a spanking.

That was funny! To bad the end of your post wasn't. :p

But is anll seriousness - when can we expect the next update?!?

LuYangShih: while a cleric who charges for healing is a hoot. Shinobi should detail this adventure for consistency - I think. Shiny metal asses notwithstanding

Maybe the cleric can narrate teh 'next' story arc?

Remove ads