• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cover to Dragon #310 [wow!]

Kai Lord

Hero
Nice:

Attachments

• cover310-360.jpg
    cover310-360.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,786

Christian Walker

First Post
I like the cover. I just wish all that "splash text" was ditched. Go back to that old-school style, where the art, and only the art, dominated the cover.

Kai Lord

Hero
I agree. I wonder how it would go over if they polybagged every issue and covered the plastic with all the busy splash ads and left the artwork clean.

At least they always reprint the full cover inside, sans the text.

PA

First Post
Kai Lord said:
I agree. I wonder how it would go over if they polybagged every issue and covered the plastic with all the busy splash ads and left the artwork clean.

At least they always reprint the full cover inside, sans the text.

The cover will always need at least the title of the magazine. For future reference, having the content clearly visible can also help. I think their reprinting the cover art inside without any text to spoil it is... well, the perfect solution.

And I do agree: the best Larry's I've seen in a while. His work for D&D 3e usually let me rather cold, but this one is closer in quality (in expressivity) to what he did for Dragonlance in the past.

Ah, and also: the other full-page art pieces in Dragon #310 (not from Larry) are also very good.

Very inspiring.

Jody Butt

First Post
Larry is the Man.

Now, if we could only get Dawn Murrin (D&D Art Director) to ditch the dungeonpunk/ear-ring/buckle-fetish crap, and the faux-tome book covers . . . .

Artimoff

First Post
Lately Dragon Mag. has used less then 100% of artists paintings. This issues cover is blown up a bit, as wellas the Westeros(sp.) cover image. I wonder why they are doing that. It would seem that they could get more blurbs on the covers if the just used the painting as is at 100%

P.S. the dark haired fighter looks like one of the employees at the Dunkin' Donuts across the street. It's her face exactly.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Well, all things done and told, if I have to have the article headlines on the cover, I'd rather have ones like this that are at least nicely aligned and not AS intrusive as other issues.

And I'm really, really digging the six alternate paladins. Now all DnD needs to do is adopt a Green Ronin style approach, where it actually MATTERS what god you're a paladin of...this is getting closer.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Iced Tea said:

for some reason teh art seems 2e picturesque to me.
You mean less goth, less spikey than what you're used to? :p

I grew up with Larry Elmore's arts gracing almost every D&D products, even the 1980 Dungeons & Dragons boxed sets. Bringing him back is like a throwback to the good old days for me.

That and his female artworks are just as fine as Clyde Caldwell's, especially the sexy halfling rogue on the cover of Dragon last summer. ;)

Remove ads