Converting Maztica and Horde monsters

Wippit Guud

First Post
Shade said:
Some comparable monsters:

Purple Worm (Gargantuan, 5 feet in diameter and 80 feet long, 40,000 pounds)
Nightcrawler (Gargantuan, 7 feet in diameter and 100 feet long, 55,000 pounds)
Lucent Worm (Gargantuan, 5 feet in diameter and almost 100 feet long, 55,000 to 60,000 pounds)
Tarrasque (Colossal, 70 feet long and 50 feet tall, 130 tons)

The colossal monstrous centipede or the megapede would have been the closest comparisons, but they have no listed weight. :(

Based on the above, I'd recommend 55,000 pounds.
Worms are more... solid, though... chitinous bugs tend to be light compared to dimensions.... maybe 20,000 pounds?

Shade

Monster Junkie
While I know we don't follow it faithfully, the monster size chart shows the following weight ranges:

Huge 2-16 tons
Gargantuan 16-125 tons
Colossal 125 tons or more

So I'd say it needs to weigh at least 32,000 pounds (the minimum for Gargantuan, which is one size category smaller).

Krishnath

First Post
Well, it could have metallic components in it's structure, which would increase the beasts weight compared to other millipedes of compareable size. (Does this make sense to anyone but me?)

Shade

Monster Junkie
It doesn't make sense to me, but it doesn't fail to make sense, either. I'm no entymologist...I just help convert monsters. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
realism? make sense? bah! y'all goin make me lose my mind up in here!

i think i'll go with shade's original 55,000. ;) still pretty damn light though, but maybe it should weigh only 27.5 tons?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, time to go on a rampage! :) i'm looking to finish up the four most complete monsters, so that we have a batch of 10 to post. here we go!

Space/reach: 30 ft/20 ft – does that still accommodate a 100-foot long creature?

Damage reduction: 5/epic?

CR: 20?

Therefore, SR: 32? (12+CR)

Its gizzard for Swallow Whole: AC 22?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Rampage like the starving tarrasque! :D

Go at least 10/epic. The tarrasque has 15/epic. The solar and hellfire wyrm both have at least 15/epic.

The nightcrawler is 100 ft. long and only has 15 ft. reach, but is also Gargantuan, not Colossal, so I think 20 ft. reach is appropriate for H'Calos.

I agree with everything else you suggested.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
The talk about DR before was 5, because it was lesser than the Tarrasque. You think 10 is more appropriate?

And CR 20 is cool?

How about crushing damage from the swallow whole attack?

Remove ads