• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Maztica and Horde monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
The talk about DR before was 5, because it was lesser than the Tarrasque. You think 10 is more appropriate?

Oh yeah. It's been awhile since we had that talk. ;)

10/epic sounds good.

BOZ said:
And CR 20 is cool?

Yep.

BOZ said:
How about crushing damage from the swallow whole attack?

Similar critters:
Tarrasque: 2d8+8
Nightcrawler, Purple Worm: 2d8+12

I'm not really sure which to go with. It is more similar in physiology to the worms, I suppose.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmmm...for the purple worm it is equal to its Str, and for the nightcrawler it doesn't have any connection to its Str.

Since there doesn't appear to be a set pattern, I'd say go with whatever you'd like.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Init should be +2 (+4 Improved Init, -2 Dex)

Accounting for Improved Critical feats:

Attack: Bite +36 melee (2d10+16/19-20)
Full Attack: Bite +36 melee (2d10+16/19-20) or 4 claws +34 melee (1d6+16/19-20)

Otherwise, I think it is done. I gotta say, H'Calos is one of my favorites we've done. Let my players beware. :D

Shade

Monster Junkie
Wouldn't it make for a good ol' time if H'Calos and the tarrasque were to awaken at the same moment? :D

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
have i told you lately that you're an evil man? :D

should we have something like this? nearly forgot...

For Damage Reduction:
A (X)’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as (X)-aligned and (X)-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Shade

Monster Junkie
You have told me, but I never tire of hearing it. :p

Good catch on the overcoming DR line. It looks like the norm for DR x/epic is:

H'Calos's natural weapons are treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Last edited:

Remove ads