• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Maztica and Horde monsters

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
naw, i agree... hide does seem kind of silly for colossal creatures. what is it going to hide behind - a mountain? :)

Krishnath

First Post
Good point, reminds me of something I read on the net about a party of adventurers that where suprised by a reptilian gargantua...

DM: You are suprised by a reptilian gargantua.
Player 1: Surprised? How, the thing is 100' tall!
Player 2: I dunno, I guess it must have been hiding or sumthin'.
Player 1: Hiding? Behind what! A mountain?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, updating in homebrews...

i have to vote "no" on multiattack, since it doesn't use both attack forms in the same round. i switched it up for Improved Bull Rush, since that is a prerequesite for Awesome Blow (got to love that name)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
i have to vote "no" on multiattack, since it doesn't use both attack forms in the same round. i switched it up for Improved Bull Rush, since that is a prerequesite for Awesome Blow (got to love that name)

Interesting...I was always under the assumption that a creature would take a -5 penalty on any secondary attacks, even if not used in the same round.

So, are you saying that both the bite and claws would be primary attacks, since they are not used in the same round, or that you just don't like Multiattack in this instance because the attacks occur in different rounds?

I could be misinterpreting this, but this text from the Monster Types and Abilities file seems to support Multiattack being needed even in this case:

"The primary weapon is given in the creature’s Attack entry, and the primary weapon or weapons is given first in the creature’s Full Attack entry. A creature’s primary natural weapon is its most effective natural attack, usually by virtue of the creature’s physiology, training, or innate talent with the weapon. An attack with a primary natural weapon uses the creature’s full attack bonus. Attacks with secondary natural weapons are less effective and are made with a –5 penalty on the attack roll, no matter how many there are. (Creatures with the Multiattack feat take only a –2 penalty on secondary attacks.) This penalty applies even when the creature makes a single attack with the secondary weapon as part of the attack action or as an attack of opportunity."

Regardless of the outcome, it definitely needs Improved Bull Rush to get Awesome Blow. :eek:

Shade

Monster Junkie
They are a confusing. So, does that mean H'Calos gets to keep Multiattack? ;)

If so, should we replace Improved Overrun with Improved Bull Rush?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hmm, yeah... i'm thinking that's aboot right.

so what's left? CR? anyone want to further a guess as to how much this thing should weigh? ;)

Wippit Guud

First Post
BOZ said:
so what's left? CR? anyone want to further a guess as to how much this thing should weigh? ;)
Ok, closest large bug I can find online, that actually includes a weight, is the giant millipede - 1 ft long, but only .44 lbs. and they're more heavily armored than a millipede. But 44 lbs seems way too light for a 100 ft long animal, so lets go exponentially, and make it either 4400lbs or 440 lbs... mainly a question of how thich you want the shell to be, I guess.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Some comparable monsters:

Purple Worm (Gargantuan, 5 feet in diameter and 80 feet long, 40,000 pounds)
Nightcrawler (Gargantuan, 7 feet in diameter and 100 feet long, 55,000 pounds)
Lucent Worm (Gargantuan, 5 feet in diameter and almost 100 feet long, 55,000 to 60,000 pounds)
Tarrasque (Colossal, 70 feet long and 50 feet tall, 130 tons)

The colossal monstrous centipede or the megapede would have been the closest comparisons, but they have no listed weight. :(

Based on the above, I'd recommend 55,000 pounds.

Remove ads