ÄRAM: Wake of Fallen Empire

mikeg

First Post

RELIGION

The religious life of Äram has been punctuated historically by a succession of deities whose adherents have seen their own influence and powers strengthen and wane. Many cults have revered similar deities who differ only by name, while others borrowed rites from distant lands which over time would become enmeshed in the culture of the Continent. The current ascendancy of the Doma is rooted philosophically in the old sun cults of Hual, and historically in the life and works of Ben Duín born over eight centuries ago. The Doma's view of other cults fluctuates between grudging acceptance and wholesale incitement of religious violence. A more holistic view sees the pantheon of deities as sharing common roots, and now falling into divine categories of Creators (the Old Gods), Preservers (the New Gods) and Destroyers (the Dark Gods).

Classical Pantheon (The Old Gods)

The Old Gods of Äram embody divinity in its creative aspect. These are the deities who feature prominently in the shared creation folklore of the Continent and beyond. Due to their age, many of these gods are known by different names in different cultures, and yet many of the powers granted to their clerics are similar. The number of proponents of these gods have dwindled in the past several centuries. And today they are worshipped among the more isolated pockets of Äram, such as the druidic cults of Lephthra and Nerfyrda, the dwarven deeps of the West, superstitious mariners on the high seas, and the lodges of the barbaric northern tribes of Boream.

Era
All but the most rigidly patriarchal cults of Äram will agree that Era is the origin of all earthly life. A benevolent but fair universal mother, Era figures in all the major creation myths. But her own origins are either shrouded in mystery, or else understood as the single force without beginning or end. The realms of earth, nature and fertility are hers. As are the elemental forces of the cosmos. Her representation varies wildly between cultures, but it is not uncommon to see her as a triply-manifested goddess of consort/mother/crone in the south, or maiden/mother/crone among those northern regions with a prehistory of dowry rituals. Although reverence for Era is nearly universal, her worship is today largely relegated to the wilderness and more backward areas of Äram. Her strongest base can be found deep among the oak groves and cairn rows of the druidic cults of Lephthra and Nerfyrda, where her reclusive clerics ensure the bounty of the land, but whose rare morbid demands temper the even strongest chieftains.
domains: Earth, Plant, Air, Fire, Water

Etrych
If Era is the maternal origin of all beings, her consort Etrych is closest to a universal father. His name is the origin for the Teulan word enterych, meaning the firmament or height. He is considered by many to be the sky itself. And as such, he is historically understood to be the all-seeing, all-knowing protector, who dispenses measures of punishment and forgiveness.

He is now largely considered an impotent figurehead, as his power waned with the arrival of Jovurno, the southern rain god whom some traditions revere as Etrych's own son.

His many divine minions are still called upon by those who have suffered from seemingly random acts of fate, although mainly through superstitious acts such as tossing earth into air or knocking on an earth-bound stone.

Clerics of Entrych are rare, although not unknown, and he maintains strong associations with the realms of magic, math and astronomy.

name invoked in animating constructs though potency is unclear

domains: Air, Law, Good, Knowledge, Magic

Jovurno
rain, lightning, virility
seen by some adherents as the consort of Era
temples still exist in Arta, rural areas of southern Csorna, and the more remote holdings among the Free Princes
ancient southern origins, rumors of lightning/rain god in Asur indicate the worship of Jovurno by another name
clerics still have foothold in west, call lightning
domains: Air, Water, Chaos

Mananan
the sea, weather, seafaring, the unknown, the unconscious, drunkenness, the void
origin shrouded in mystery, perhaps the void before Era, bringer of Eaphalla, wine
some clerics, object of superstition among sailors
related to berserking cults of Lephthra and Nerfyrda
domains: Water, Travel, Luck

Ignfuarn
the raven, thought, wisdom
one of first beings of Era
associations with magic, appears on spellbooks, raven is a common familiar, tradition without religious component
barbaric cults, shaman culture
domains: Air, Animal, Knowledge
cigfran (raven)

Arath
the bear, strength, hunting, intuition, bringer of visions
bear sacrifices far to the north
clerics and druids among the lodges of Boream
Animal, Protection, Strength
arth (bear)

Ysgyfarnog
the hare, messengers, trickster, logic of the absurd, sudden insight, enlightenment
some adherents worship Ben Duín as an incarnation
clerics among dwarven cults of the deep
domains: Animal, Earth, Luck, Trickery, Travel

Crhywil
the locust, greatest good for the greatest number, collective identity, utilitarianism
ambisexual parent of Fero and Feneth
dogfly as messenger, unclear as to whether one or many
influenced/tricked by Caladú to procreate
significant in that the death Ben Duín was caused by the rarely-fatal sting from a dogfly
clerics are rare, very few in Alfaad (Lawful neutral), some among anti-Doma cults of mountains of southern Gallume (Lawful evil)
domains: Air, Animal, Law
chwil (beetle)

Fero and Feneth
First Boy and First Girl, innocence lost, original sin, mortality, knowledge
forbidden children of Crhywil
parents of men and the subhuman races
banished (killed?) by Era and set in the sky (Twin Moons)
clerics do not exist

mikeg

First Post

RELIGION

Classical Pantheon (The New Gods)

New Gods. Preservers.

Hual
the sun, light, fire, healing, song, truth
illegitimate son of Jovurno
cult was once predominant in Arta and Paestum, then eventually throughout much of the Teulan Empire
few clerics left, some in Alfaad and isolated pockets, practice divination and healing
the sun cults of Hual serve as the philosophical and organizational basis of the Order of the Doma, and Ben Duín is Hual's successor
Fire, Good, Healing, Sun
haul (sun)

Blarún
the blue moon, indirect strategies, theory, deliberation, malleable/agreeable slow/deliberate passive/welcoming, half of complex notion of duality which supersedes good/evil dichotomy
sister of Anweird, keeper of the corpse of Feneth
Healing, Protection
clerics

Monya
the white moon, direct action, praxis, spontaneity, permanent/obstinate fast/careless active/aggressive, half of complex notion of duality which supersedes good/evil dichotomy
sister of Anweird, keeper of the corpse of Fero
clerics
superstitious sailors of both sexes will still forbid passage of two sisters the only offspring of the same parents, bad luck, strange tidal currents
Luck, Protection

Eaphalla
beauty and physical love, transformation, redemption
born of the sea, consort of several gods (including Gual Nas), instigated the conception of Hual, associated with great leviathans of the deep, whale as hermaphroditic symbol, myths of redemption/rebirth
matriarchy, clerics tend to be female
accepts a share of the fallen in battle
the Doma regard her as goddess of beauty but is in fact goddess of physical love, withholding of full depictions of Eaphalla are a more recent phenomenon of increasingly patriarchal clergy, Cwfenn of Eaphalla is keenly aware of this phenomenon and seeks to subvert the role of the Doma - regaining feminine authority over sexual congress, Doma sees the Cwfenn as vulgar, backwards and barbaric, much animosity between Doma and Cwfenn of Eaphalla
Good, Protection, Healing, Enchantment

mikeg

First Post

RELIGION

Classical Pantheon (The Dark Gods)

Dark Gods. Destroyers.

Caladú
dark, fallen brother/son/twin of sky deity. Era's secret lover. (Jovurno's uncle?) Etrych covers/protects Era but smothered Caladú supports her and may devour her. If Etrych is Era's Atticus Finch, then Caladú is her Ike Turner.
Animal, Evil, Chaos, Death

Gual Nas
Galanastra (slaughter), Rhyfel (war), Galanas (murder), Llofruddio (to murder)
God of Slaughter, and sister Anweird
some cultures still reserve a portion of the battle dead for twin pyres devoted to Gual Nas and Eaphalla
Chaos, War, Destruction, Strength

Anweird
anwiredd (falsehood)
Fell Maiden, keeper of the dead, enemy of those who follow Ben Duín for eternal life, the Doma negatively characterize her feminine role and associate her with evil
sister of lunar deities Monya/Blarún according to some, and she is therefore entrusted with the earth as her dominion, some adherents see her as the rightful heir to powers of a deteriorating Era, one aspect of the Triple Goddess cult of Blarún (blue moon), Monya (white moon) and Anweird (underworld/earth)
clerics use necromantic powers associated with her stewardship of the Underworld
Death, Trickery

Last edited:

mikeg

First Post

RELIGION

Creation Myth

How does it start? See Norse/Greek/Hopi/Babylonian/Egyptian traditions

Boreal lodge cults maintain ties to these animist traditions

Locust deity Crhywil creates Fero and Feneth, First Boy and First Girl.

The term "Butterfly People" refers those descendants of Fero and Feneth who manifest the sin of incest. These Butterfly People would be seen as the ancestors of the humanoid races such as orcs, goblins, kobolds, etc. Descendants who did not manifest the sin in physical form were the ancestors of the races of men: humans, elves, dwarves and their brethren. Thus the races of all peoples, men or goblinkind, are in fact brothers. They are both products of the same original sin, with the resulting stains manifested bodily in the case of goblinkind, or manifested among men in the hidden chambers of conflicted hearts.

Äram is doomed. The deeps of Anweird are rotting, and the lands will sink, the seas will drain, the skies will crumble. That day has come and gone according to the faithful of Ben Duín, the successor of the failed gods of Äram.

Last edited:

mikeg

First Post

RELIGION

Teulan Secularism and the Motherhood

Origins within the cults of the locust deity Crhywil
Philosophy espouses a collective utilitarian concept of the greatest good for the greatest number

Contrast with Artan ideas of priority of the individual as most basic agent. Teleological vs. deontological philosophy

Artan ideal realm/Teulan natural realm

Teulu Lleian
elven matriarchal order, "The Motherhood"
predates the Imperial line, matriarchs were source of authority for chieftains, their order would appoint a time to murder the aging chieftain among their sacred cairns or hedgerows and instill his successor.
Although these rites had been discontinued, Baniorath, the last elven emperor, after murdering all potential heirs to his throne, willfully succumbed to death by garrote at the hands of the Teulu Lleian Matriarch, this symbolic act ceding authority of the Imperial Lineage to the Motherhood from which it came.
elven genealogical records are exhaustive and maintained in secrecy, some memorize lineages to safeguard libraries, used to arrange marriages
not uncommon for most elves to be visited by an envoy of the Teulu Lleian requesting presence in Alfaad for a sanctioned marriage, if you're an elf they know where you are
Despite the historical value of the Lleian genealogical records, there is a strain of thought among humans on the Continent that sees their existence as proof of Teulan bigotry, "My brothers of Ayr, why do they keep a tally but to ensure that it never bear your name?"
eugenics
to produce Inun Eisu, the Anointed One, who will save all elvenkind (humans, dwarves, halflings too? ambiguous)
life span, diet, meditation, elves during the late Empire rarely lived longer than 180 years
some in isolated sanctuaries (mostly on Alfaad) have been living over 1200 years old, as in antiquity
these practices are seen as a return to pure elven life and blood

Wow, that's some thread necromancy. Is the [a] supposed to be pronounced differently from the [ä]? In general, diacritics just to "fantasy up" a name is something I don't like, although as a little bit of a linguistic nerd, I don't mind them at all when there's a practical reason for them. For similar reasons, I'm not a fan of the over-use of the vowel [y] just to make names look all elfish or something.

mikeg

First Post
Yeah, I just got released from a 2e Imprisonment Abjuration.

The A-dieresis (Ä) in Äram is meant to indicate the 'a' sound in English 'father' or 'car'—and so differs from Swedish or German, for example.

Within the campaign setting, this sound is normally implied by simply 'A', and newer scripts from Friedbeck to Homar begin to employ 'Ä' as a version of 'AE' or 'Æ' (sounding like the 'a' in 'ash').

But the Ä in Äram is a more archaic character and comes from the scripts of the western steppe and beyond, predating the Teulan expansion. My intent is that the language that originally referred to the setting as 'home' is even older than what its characters already think of an ancient—and so players may learn that the ancient ruins that they explore may be hiding even older and weirder remnants farther down.

The 'y' usage is leftover from a lot of the Welsh that is stolen for elven Teulan names, but it's not used indiscriminately. Names from the western shores in Csorna, for example, won't use this 'y' in place of 'i', and in fact a lot of those place names have a Slavic character (with more ancient pockets of names related to Hungarian or Estonian).

Linguistic geekdom aside, the primary concern is that the scenarios and encounters are terrifying and fun. Players don't need to know what goes on under the hood, but the helps me to create something that feels more organic, and starts to take on its own logic.

Oh, I wasn't refering to your use of [y]; that was a not-so-subtle dig at Forgotten Realms. I like your linguistic explanation, though. Clearly you've thought through the issue much more than most would have.

Sadly, I've found that my interest in linguistics greatly outstrips that of any players I'm likely to have. Therefore, I've greatly truncated and simplified by linguistic schemes; assigning real world naming conventions to various ethnic groups for simplicity, not unlike the Hyborian Age in some respects. I think I might still have gone too far with my "Terrasan Empire" which has three dialects that correspond more or less with Catalan/Occitan, Ligurian, and Romanian/Moldavan. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one who even notices the attempt at dialectical differences.

mikeg

First Post
Oh yeah… Arilyn, Kymil, Tethyr etc.

I like the Hyborian approach also, but I think I have disguised it only about one degree more and generally reversed east and west.

I appreciate the use of less common European languages you've used (Occitan, Ligurian etc.), and I've definitely checked out some of those online dictionaries for my own naming conventions.

Thanks for your interest. I just started getting into the Dark Heritage wiki and it's got a really good flavor.

Heh. If you're looking at the link in my sig, it's way out of date... but apparently I can't update it, because I'm grandfathered into some kind of sig setting that I can't change, or something. My campaign wiki is really at http://modular-DND-setting.wikispaces.com. Despite the name, it's evolved beyond modular setting elements.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:

Remove ads