• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

+0 LA race with WIS bonus?

jayaint

First Post
So far, in my quick, skim-scan page-flipping, I have only found one (1) race in the Wizards books that allows a +2 WIS racial bonus with +0 LA. It was the singing, non-verbal monk-like race from Planar Handbook. I would like to play a cleric in a high powered campaign my group is starting, and while I am giving up one level to Monk-ness for character design & flavor.... I would rather not be 2 levels behind by taking aasimaar, etc.

If anyone here has a point in the right direction to another resource with a race that would help, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help.

-jay

Sejs

First Post
Buomman, you mean. The one from the Planar Handbook.

Why not just use them? They seem quite in-line with what you're thinking, particularly if you're picking up a monk level or two, as well. Monastic is the buomman's middle name. Just pick up the Nonverbal Spell feat early on and you're good to go. Plus it sounds like it'd be kinda fun to play.

As an aside - if you're doing the monk/cleric thing, have you considered the cloistered cleric variant from UA? May be appropriate.

jayaint

First Post
Thanks for the leads, ya'll.

Any speculation as to why the drought of WIS adjusted races? When I had the initial thought to begin this search, I didn't think it would be quite this much of a wild goose chase.

drothgery

First Post
jayaint said:
Any speculation as to why the drought of WIS adjusted races? When I had the initial thought to begin this search, I didn't think it would be quite this much of a wild goose chase.

Bonuses to any mental stat in a LA+0 race are few and far between; no core race gets any. And since there are int and cha based arcane casters, divine casters, and psionic classes (while Wis only has the last two; there's no Wis-based arcanist), they're more common in the rare races that get mental stat bonuses.

Also, not many fantasy race archetypes really scream "inherrently more intuitive and aware".

Vargo

First Post
It's the OMG HIGH SPELL SAVE DC NO YUO! thing that WOTC has going on. Basically, they're terrified that spell casters get a +1 to spell DCs, extra spells, and in the case of Wisdom, a +1 to Will saves, spot, listen, and search checks.

They're also very leery of giving +2 to Int or Cha to a +0 LA race.

frankthedm

First Post
Vargo said:
It's the OMG HIGH SPELL SAVE DC NO YUO! thing that WOTC has going on. Basically, they're terrified that spell casters get a +1 to spell DCs, extra spells, and in the case of Wisdom, a +1 to Will saves, spot, listen, and search checks.

They're also very leery of giving +2 to Int or Cha to a +0 LA race.
They were not terrified, they wisely cut twinks off at the pass to High DCville. Aging characters is perfectly legal by the rules, there was little need to allow other boosts. It is a crying shame the RPGA does not allow age modifiers to ability scores, but that is the RPGA’s prerogative.

jayaint

First Post
Thanks for the input. I might have to wander on over to the house rules forum and see what I can dig up over there, for custom races.

just fyi, I could not find the +0 LA aassimar in Races of Faerun... The section on that race specifically said +1 in the info panel just under the heading.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads