• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 1-3 Encounters per Adventuring Day

Thinking more about guidelines to design 1-3 encounter adventuring days.

I guess let's start with 1 encounter. If the players are only having 1 fight then how big of a solo can they take on experience wise?

Maybe look at level 3, 5 and 9? Party of 4 players to start with.
A semi well put together party can handle 2X deadly encounters without much riskof they have full pools.

Xeviat

Hero
Thinking more about guidelines to design 1-3 encounter adventuring days.

I guess let's start with 1 encounter. If the players are only having 1 fight then how big of a solo can they take on experience wise?

Maybe look at level 3, 5 and 9? Party of 4 players to start with.

The Daily XP budget is about 3 times the deadly XP threshold. I wouldn't put them against a solo more than 2 levels higher than them to start, though, as it can do enough damage to drop characters in one round.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The Daily XP budget is about 3 times the deadly XP threshold. I wouldn't put them against a solo more than 2 levels higher than them to start, though, as it can do enough damage to drop characters in one round.

I don't believe the daily XP budget for 6-8 encounters per day is a good daily xp budget for 1-3 encounters per day.

I was looking at CR 6 enemies for the level 3 party. I agree those seem to hard even for a single encounter.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I have had a 1st level party take out a owlbear before the owlbear even had a chance to go. I have had a 5th party take out a 13CR big bad when he was placed there to scare them away and foreshadow the end.

Granted my guys are on the edge of powergaming at times and very experienced but yeah if they are fresh and feel free to nova......little in the game threatens them unless I go into ridiculous CR and numbers for their levels.

Now this group rolls stats. Uses feats and goes out of their way to hunt down magic items as well as works very well as a team.

I can wear them down over time but even that is sometimes impossible to do at the mid/higher levels with so many easy ways to grab a short or even long rest with spells.

FrogReaver

I have had a 1st level party take out a owlbear before the owlbear even had a chance to go. I have had a 5th party take out a 13CR big bad when he was placed there to scare them away and foreshadow the end.

Granted my guys are on the edge of powergaming at times and very experienced but yeah if they are fresh and feel free to nova......little in the game threatens them unless I go into ridiculous CR and numbers for their levels.

Now this group rolls stats. Uses feats and goes out of their way to hunt down magic items as well as works very well as a team.

I can wear them down over time but even that is sometimes impossible to do at the mid/higher levels with so many easy ways to grab a short or even long rest with spells.

It's not the party that beat the CR 13. It's the magic items. (Barring some kind of stunlock they managed to inflict on it)

FrogReaver

Single targets will be more swingy but if they had the right planning I'd say they a solid chance

I think as long as they have in combat healing they got it beat.

Yea it would be swingy. Healing fixes that. On average it will down a PC in about 2 Rounds. As long as the PC's don't run out of healing words I see very little risk. Now if the cleric is the only 1 with healing magic and he gets targeted then they may be in for a rough day.

I think as long as they have in combat healing they got it beat.

Yea it would be swingy. Healing fixes that. On average it will down a PC in about 2 Rounds. As long as the PC's don't run out of healing words I see very little risk. Now if the cleric is the only 1 with healing magic and he gets targeted then they may be in for a rough day.
Also low AC and no real ranged ablities means it wouldn't be that hard to kite a werebear.may not kill it but would come out on top.

Remove ads