• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1 round summons!

bestone

First Post
I pulled this from another thread, where everyone is saying summons are useless at level 1.

I always thought (i could be incorrect, and if i am please tell me) That even 1 round effectively was 2 for summons.

You summon the creature, it acts on the round you summon it. (as its a 1 round cast, it comes into play just before your next turn (dmg p 174) then acts immediately. Then you get your next turn, you do your thing, it can act, then at the end of that turn, it ends.

Meaning you get a summoned monster with a mage 1 out for the round its cast, plus your next, right?

Get two hits off and you could do more damage at level 1 than any other spell. Plus being able to place it tactically to flank and such is a boon.

Anywho, Am i correct or completely wrong on this?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
bestone said:
You summon the creature, it acts on the round you summon it. (as its a 1 round cast, it comes into play just before your next turn (dmg p 174) then acts immediately.

It attacks immediately, on your turn. You start casting in your turn in round 1. It appears just before your turn in round 2. It attacks on your turn in round 2 - that's its first action. It's gone before your turn in round 3.

It only gets one round of actions.

It's even worse if you have the Rapid Summoning alternate class feature from UA, because then it only gets a single standard action before the duration expires...

-Hyp.

bestone

First Post
Ah thanks for the clerification hyp. I dunno why but i always thought it was out on the first round, then was out for 1 round, till the end of your next.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Nope, although Astral Constructs actually do get a quick final attack on the following round because of the line
The astral construct acts normally on the last round of the power’s duration and dissipates at the end of its turn.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads