• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

10:1 illegal downloads

resistor

First Post
I don't share it with friends, I don't create a new torrent, I don't put it on a binary newsgroup, encode it on paper punch tape, dump it onto a 7-bit EBCDIC reel tape, none of that...

Just to be a bit picky, this scenario's not really possible, at least with torrents. What makes it such an effective protocol for transmitting large files is that every peer is transmitting at the same time that it's receiving. So it's not really possible to download a torrent without also uploading.

Krensky

First Post
I went through point by point why I think it will decrease pirating. Your response seems to amount to "Nuh uh".

Care to back up your position? Kinda hard to discuss "nuh uh".

Fine.

If the PDFs are no longer sold legally, and you know for sure your copy is illegal and easily recognized as such (because it's never been released legally as a PDF),
Just like most music, movies, or D&D books before recent history...

and you also know they are going after illegal downloads,
Just like the RIAA!!

you are less likely to share out that file.
Facts not in evidence. The RIAA's suits didn't stop or slow piracy.

Less sharing it means fewer people downloading it and slower download rates, which decreases the spread of that PDF.
There is more to illegal distribution the bittorrent, and based on five minutes of checking, the D&D torrents are still as healthy as they were before this.

Kaisoku

First Post
Just to be a bit picky, this scenario's not really possible, at least with torrents. What makes it such an effective protocol for transmitting large files is that every peer is transmitting at the same time that it's receiving. So it's not really possible to download a torrent without also uploading.

Not really anything to do with the conversation... but can't you just limit your uploading in your favorite torrenting program to 0 connections? Or 0 bandwidth.. whichever way the program deals with that?

Then you are only downloading, and not technically sharing at all.

It's bad piracy etiquette (you will be called a "leecher"), and won't get you good standing on any filesharing sites that require a quota, but it's technically possible.

Krensky

First Post
Not really anything to do with the conversation... but can't you just limit your uploading in your favorite torrenting program to 0 connections? Or 0 bandwidth.. whichever way the program deals with that?

Then you are only downloading, and not technically sharing at all.

It's bad piracy etiquette (you will be called a "leecher"), and won't get you good standing on any filesharing sites that require a quota, but it's technically possible.

Your download rate will, typically, suck though since most popular BitTorrrent clients use :):):)-for-tat prioritizing of their connections.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads