• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

10 foot step

Kingreaper

Adventurer
I'm currently working on a martial artist class, and as a class feature I've given it the ability to make a 10-foot step rather than a 5-foot step once per round; as long as they're unarmoured and only lightly encumbered.
This is intended to provide tactical mobility.

How powerful is this ability? It's going on a 3/4 BAB class with two mediocre and one good save.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
What level are you giving the ability out? Any level 9+ Warblade or Crusader character can take 10 ft steps every round they want to, or a 5 ft step in difficult terrain.

[sblock]Via the Press the Advantage level 5 White Raven stance. Thus available at level 9, though to take it that early would require a feat. Otherwise, Warblade can pick it up as a class feature at level 10, and crusader...I forget. Oh, Warblades do get a bonus feat at 9, it could be spent to get the stance, too. Having this stance carries no real downside. It doesn't require a swift action to use, it doesn't restrict the character from doing other things (other than having a different stance operating), etc...[/sblock]

So, using those classes as a base, I'd say even letting your class take 10 ft steps at will wouldn't be that overpowered, as long as it is obtained not too early. For reference: Warblade has d12 HD, full BAB, good fort saves, and 4 + int skill points. Crusader has d10 HD, full BAB, good fort saves, and 4 + int skill points. :)
All mentioned material is in Tome of Battle.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
So, using those classes as a base, I'd say even letting your class take 10 ft steps at will wouldn't be that overpowered, as long as it is obtained not too early. For reference: Warblade has d12 HD, full BAB, good fort saves, and 4 + int skill points. Crusader has d10 HD, full BAB, good fort saves, and 4 + int skill points. :)
All mentioned material is in Tome of Battle.

In other words, if you give it out around levels 6-9 it shouldn't be a problem at all, and if you do it after 9th you might want to add some other benefits to make it more worthwhile than taking Martial Stance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads