• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

101 Incantations

Olive

Explorer
Macbeth said:
hmmm, I can't seem to find a way to subscribe without posting on these new boards, so don't mind me. I'm just subscribing.

Use the thread tools list at the right hand top of the page...

Saeviomagy said:
This sounds like you're trying to make a reverse incantation - the negative effects of failure are so much worse than the positive aspects of success that I doubt anyone would ever cast it intending to succeed.

Except I can imaigne huge roleplaying aspects to it. The risk is huge, but there could be situations where the players have no choice etc. Fun!

frankthedm

First Post
The risks of the spell going wrong may be worth it [you don't get much worse than the Far raelms], but, 80 minutes spent within a stone's throw of the portal [which leads to the raelm of 20 ton tentacled terrors] has me far more concerned. 800 rounds is a long time to stand there and cast...and hope that nothing gobbles you or your bodyguards. Not that i am questioning the sanity of those who would go within 50 feet of said portal. After all, they won't have any sanity once they get visual on the portal

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Olive said:
Except I can imaigne huge roleplaying aspects to it. The risk is huge, but there could be situations where the players have no choice etc. Fun!

That's exactly the point of it. In my campaign, the Far Realm operates completely outside of known magical laws. None of the "standard" gate-closing spells work and the PCs had to go through all kindsa crap to get this incantation (including retrieving a dracolich potion for a big, bad, very old red dragon).

It will be a desparate last battle to fight off the Kaorti and their minions and keep them from interrupting the ritual...:)

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Olive said:
Ohhh... now this is something I can use in my campaign!

Just one thing: is this really a abjuration, and not a transmutation?

I was tossing back and forth as to whether it should be abjuration or transmutation, whichever you feel is best, I'd say. :)

Olive

Explorer
Nightchilde-2 said:
That's exactly the point of it. In my campaign, the Far Realm operates completely outside of known magical laws. None of the "standard" gate-closing spells work and the PCs had to go through all kindsa crap to get this incantation (including retrieving a dracolich potion for a big, bad, very old red dragon).

This is more or elss how I intended to use it as well. Now to figure out the incantation to open the portal in the first place!

Storminator

First Post
I wrote up one on my other PC, and once I have it here I'll post it. It's specific to both FR and our campaign.

I'm also planning a whole slew of incantations for my homebrew PBeM, so once I get them going I'll post as well. These things really work great for that whole forbidden knowledge/demon pact thing; give a fiend what he wants, and he teaches you an incantation...

PS

WanderingMonster

First Post
Forge the Neggwrought

History: this incantation was needed by the BEG to bind a devil so he could contonuously harvest its blood.

Conjuration

Effective Level: 8th

Skill Check: Knowledge (arcana) DC 21, 4 successes; Craft (blacksmithing) DC 21, 4 successes

Failure: Reversal

Components: V, S, M, F, XP, B, SC

Casting Time: 11 hours, 6 minutes

Range: Close

Target: A single devil

Duration: Permanent

Saving Throw: None

Spell Resistance: No

This incantation summons a specific devil and binds it forever in a knot of mystical black chains known as the Neggwrought. The spell renders the fiend helpless: it is unable to move or use any of its spell-like abilities. The caster(s) are immune to any supernatural abilities the devil may use. This spell does not ensure that the devil will be cooperative, truthful, or deferential towards the caster. In fact, the opposite is likely to be true. The devil only receives half its SR against spells cast by the caster of forge the Neggwrought.

The Neggwrought is impervious to damage and magic of all kinds. It cannot be dispelled, and wish cannot free the fiend. Only the caster can free the devil, and to do that would be certain death.

Failure: If the caster fails, he is bound by the Neggwrought forever, and usually taken prisoner by the fiend he tried to bind.

Material Component: An unbroken circle of diamond powder worth 5,000 gp.; 13 pure souls; the true name of the devil to be bound.

Focus: A 666-link chain made of cold iron.

XP Component: 1,000 XP.

Backlash: Casters are exhausted after completing the incantation.

Extra Casters: 13 required to harvest (sacrifice) the pure souls as the caster binds them to the chain.

Brew Elixir of Maleficent Magic

History: Used by an alchmist without sorcerous powers to get sorcerous powers.

Transmutation

Effective Level: 7th

Skill Check: Knowledge (arcana) DC 27, 3 successes; Alchemy DC 27, 4 successes

Failure: Reversal

Components: V, S, M, F, XP, B, SC

Casting Time: 7 hours

Range: Touch

Target: One humanoid target.

Duration: 1 week

Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)

Spell Resistance: Yes

This incantation creates a potent elixir that bestows the imbiber with the fiendish template, and allows him to cast spells as a sorcerer half his character level. If the humanoid already has sorcerer levels, he gains no additional spellcasting benefit.

The elixir is unstable and must be imbibed within an hour of completion or else it is ruined (see failure).

Failure: The caster permanently polymorphs into a lemure.

Material Component: 10 drams of blood from a devil or demon of greater that 7HD.

Focus: An unholy altar built to worship Gulrath.

XP Component: 100 XP.

Backlash: Casters are exhausted.

Secodary Casters: An additional caster is required to continuously chant as the primary caster brews the elixir and continuously samples it throughout the ritual.

Olive

Explorer
Cool ideas here. Any more that people have come up with yet? I've been soooo busy I haven't had time, but this thread is giving me great ideas.

Storminator

First Post
Here's the incantation we'll be using. Couple of notes: GM said duration should be instantaneous, not permanent, as the knowledge should not be dispelable. I didn't refigure the DC. I figured the knowledge checks should be very difficult, as it all happened thousands of years ago, and we're 25th level so no gimmes. As it is there's only a check or two that's in any doubt.

Bones of the Dwarves (divination)
Effective Level: 8th

Skill Checks: Knowledge (Arcana) 3 successes DC 44, Perform (Storytelling) 1 success DC 44, Knowledge (History) 1 success DC 44, Knowledge (Dwarves) 1 success DC 44, Knowledge (History) 1 success DC 44, Knowledge (Arcana) 1 success DC 44

Failure: angry spirits

Components: V, S, M, F, SC, B

Casting Time: 80 minutes

Range: Touch

Target: Dwarf secondary caster

Duration: Permanent

Area: 3000' radius

Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)

Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This incantation imparts knowledge of the location of the bones of the dwarven victims of the Dark Court Slaughter to the dwarven secondary caster. The incantation must be completed inside the Elven Court, by exactly three casters. The primary caster makes all the Knowledge (Arcana) checks. The second caster must recite the history of the Elven Court, ending with the Dark Court Slaughter. This requires a Perform check and a Knowledge (History) check. The third caster must be a dwarf, and must recite the names of the dwarven clans that died at the Dark Court Slaughter. This requires a Knowledge (Dwarves) and a Knowledge (History) check. The primary caster must then finish the incantation with a final Knowledge (Arcana) check. All casters are fatigued at the end of the ritual.

On a successful casting, the dwarf secondary caster knows the current location of every bone from a dwarf that died in the Dark Court Slaughter, provided it is within the area of effect. This dwarf will always know the location of these bones, even if they are moved. The duration is permanent.

Material component: blood of a survivor (Shevarash)

Material focus: bone of a descendent (a currently unknown dwarf)

Extra casters: Two required; one must be a dwarf

DC breakdown:

30 base for Divination incantation

+4 minutes to hours

+6 hours to days

+10 days to permanent

+3 Double range

+3 Double range (total range increase is tripled)

-4 Expensive material (blood of a survivor)

-1 Expensive focus (bone of a descendent)

-2 secondary casters (<10)

-1 more than one skill

-1 skill not on wizard list

-2 backlash: exhausted

-1 backlash effects secondary casters

44 Total

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Nightchilde-2 said:

It will be a desparate last battle to fight off the Kaorti and their minions and keep them from interrupting the ritual...:)

I'd suggest that you make the backlash something more restrained then - as it is, this is the perfect "destroy the world incantation", and is far more of interest to those wishing to widen the portal than to those wishing to prevent creatures from coming through (for which one could do things like encase the portal in walls of force etc).

Remove ads