• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

101 Incantations

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
WanderingMonster said:
Brew Elixir of Maleficent Magic

History: Used by an alchmist without sorcerous powers to get sorcerous powers.

Transmutation

Effective Level: 7th

Skill Check: Knowledge (arcana) DC 27, 3 successes; Alchemy DC 27, 4 successes

Failure: Reversal

Components: V, S, M, F, XP, B, SC

Casting Time: 7 hours

Range: Touch

Target: One humanoid target.

Duration: 1 week

Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)

Spell Resistance: Yes

This incantation creates a potent elixir that bestows the imbiber with the fiendish template, and allows him to cast spells as a sorcerer half his character level. If the humanoid already has sorcerer levels, he gains no additional spellcasting benefit.

The elixir is unstable and must be imbibed within an hour of completion or else it is ruined (see failure).

Failure: The caster permanently polymorphs into a lemure.

Material Component: 10 drams of blood from a devil or demon of greater that 7HD.

Focus: An unholy altar built to worship Gulrath.

XP Component: 100 XP.

Backlash: Casters are exhausted.

Secodary Casters: An additional caster is required to continuously chant as the primary caster brews the elixir and continuously samples it throughout the ritual.
This one seems far too good - fiendish template and caster level? For 100xp! Yes please!

WanderingMonster

First Post
It is good. But it's not permanent. It requires multiple successes at a moderately high DC, with a nasty failure (do you want to be a lemure?). Besides, the kind of PCs/NPCs who want the caster levels will probably not have the skill set to make the Knowledge and Alchemy with a large margin of success (why would a sorcerer want to do this?) It's also finite, unless you have an endless supply of demon/devil blood.

Oh and the template makes you evil. So is it really powerful? Yes, it is. Will every player be clamoring to perform the incantation so they can be a fiendish sorcerer? Not in my group. Besides you could be nasty and rule that since they acquired a template, they are now an outsider and cannot be raised or ressurrected once killed. :]

And with incantations (as with PrCs) you should assume everything applies IMC. :)

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Forge the Neggwrought
(snip)
Focus: A 666-link chain made of cold iron.
(more snippage)

As this is for devils, shouldn't the chain be made from silver? Also, that number is generally used in connection with the abyss. I would personally go with something that is a multiple of seven (seven times seven times seven is probably a good number).

Alchemist

First Post
This is very interesting stuff. Unfortunatly, I know nothing of these incantations beyond what has been posted here. Are the fleshed out in a sourcebook? A thread? Some reference material for the interested but uninitiated would be appreciated. :)

Edit: Foolish! After posting this, I re-read the first post and only then saw the Unearthed Arcana reference. Don't mind me, I'm just waiting by the mailbox for my copy to arrive. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads