101 Peasant Games

Is_907

First Post
I once played a Pathfinder campaign set in a northern/Scottish themed country... for a big festival in the first game session we had everything from a caber toss, to wrestling, to pie baking, to poetry readings.

I had a ton of fun with caber toss as a Dwarf...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tangent: threads like this and the one a while back with the debate over what does a high-level Commoner look like remind me of why I like HERO so much.

Some of the skills developed playing some of these games would have direct combat applications, but tied to a class & level system, it's hard to see how an adventurer couldn't just come in and dominate at the fairs. For instance, I would bet that most participants in knife- or axe-throwing competitions (RW or RPG) never got into serious fights, so you probably wouldn't consider them "warriors" of any real sort, but their skills could prove deadly if turned to violent ends.

(Kind of like the Welsh hunters of a few hundred years ago...)

In D&D, though, it's hard to separate that level of accuracy with a deadly weapon from being a member of a warrior class...or having LOTS of Commoner levels.

In HERO, though, it's just skill levels. The knife-throwing Champion of the Shire could be an Average Joe who just happens to have great skill with knife throwing...enough to put a trained assassin to shame.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I use a lot of peasant games imc such as:

Bladderball - An inflated pig skin is hung in the town square and then teams of 10 (an unlimited number of teams are permitted) gather around the edge of the square and on the whistle attempt to possess the ball and run it down the length of Docks road to be placed into a barrel set up on the wharf. Running with the ball is not allowed, there are no fouls and the game usually results in a number of injuries:)

Dweily Flonk - Played on a circular pitch a cloth (the Dweil) is placed into a pot of scrumpy. Players then use sticks (Drivelers) to pick up the Dweil and flonk (throw) it to a team mate. The objective is to hung the Dweil from the opponents goal post (a five foot high post (fence posts are ideal))

Plegas Orchard - a nighttime raid on a haunted orchard in order to steal three golden apples protected by an ogre with a horseskull for a head

Bally Towers - A Harvest game played when the grain has been stacked in the feilds. In the night a druid will place a corn dolly at the top of one of the stacks (the bally towers) and in the morning the farmers go out to see if they have been so blessed (they must shout out that they have possession). They then spend the rest of the day defending their tower from attack as other farmers attempt to steal the dolly for their own...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There are many towns with festivals that involve the throwing of fruit- oranges, tomatoes, etc.- as reenactments of conflicts. And in a South American nation, there is another one involving hitting fireworks with large mallets.

Remove ads