• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

10th LV Wizard needs help picking new spells

JDRogers

First Post
I play a elf wizard who just reached 10th level. I would like to find more spells to add to my spellbook that cause big damage with ranged touch attacks. Kinda like the scorching ray spell but higher level and more punch! Any ideas?

JoelF

First Post
Spell compendium has a lot of new Ray spells, but from what I recall, most of them are for other effects than damage.

Your best bet might be to empower and maximize scorching rays. Especially at 11th level when you get a 3rd ray to use.

FEADIN

Explorer
Spell compendium has a lot of new Ray spells, but from what I recall, most of them are for other effects than damage.

Your best bet might be to empower and maximize scorching rays. Especially at 11th level when you get a 3rd ray to use.

As above and don't forget Split ray and Energy substitution.

Starbuck_II

First Post
I play a elf wizard who just reached 10th level. I would like to find more spells to add to my spellbook that cause big damage with ranged touch attacks. Kinda like the scorching ray spell but higher level and more punch! Any ideas?
Have you tried the Orb spells?

At 11th level, Disentegrate deals 2d6/level if fail save.

Greater, Disrupt Undead: Only versus undead.

Defenstratingh Sphere can be used that way: Deals up to 1d8 x10 feet (8d6 damage), but last longer than 1 turn.

Belker Claws with reach metamagic (since it is melee touch): deals 2d12/round.

Lucent Lance (if used in bright light): up to 1d6/level. In addition, blinds and dazes foe.

Moon Bow: up to 1d4, each deals electric 1d6/2 caster.

Prismatic Spray: varies depending on color

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Acid Sheath (SpC) at level 5 is a great buff. Not only does it deal acid damage to people who attack you, it also adds some acid damage to your acid spells per damage dice. Now, if you're an element-focused wizard with Energy Substitution [your element], you can change the energy type of the spell and thus what energy type it affects to whatever your favorite is. I loved it on my lightning mage, wish I had noticed it back when I actually had an acid mage.

rgard

Adventurer

As FEADIN wrote, Split Ray is good. My one wizard uses that feat alot. We call it the 'double tap' when using it with any of the ray spells.

One thing to keep in mind when looking for ray spells. WotC's ray spells all (that I've seen) have the extra 'Effect' field in the spell details section with 'Ray' listed. Alot of the third party stuff doesn't use the 'Effect' listing and you have to read the spell description to find out whether the spell is a ray or not.

I think there are examples in Monte's Complete Book of Eldritch Might of spells that could be considered ray spells, but the Effect field is not present.

I'll try to find some examples.

Thanks,
Rich

Remove ads