11 Hours Ago

Zappo

Explorer
I prefer it like it is now... with the timestamp, I've got to actually think about how long ago the date was. That's some stuff that a computer can do for me. ;)

Berandor

lunatic
I love the realtive time (except for Ceramic DM, I guess), because that way, I can come back an hour or two later and quickly find new posts in a thread or in the overview.

When I opened PCat's SH, I always had to think about how long ago my last visit was, where the thread was then, end so on. Now I see "5 days ago" and I know the post is new.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
As Berandor said, the real problem of relative time is in competitions like Ceramic DM where "3 days ago" just isn't accurate enough. Nevertheless, relative time clearly has its fans. We're still wrestling with the best way to handle this.

GentleGiant

Explorer
jonesy said:
Couldn't we have both? :)

I'd second this... or rather, maybe a combination. Say, go with the new relative time, but as soon as you pass 2 days (or some other set time), it changes to the old date formula.
Is that possible?

As some have pointed out, the new relative time is nifty in some regards, but it becomes wildly inaccurate when past a certain time (a week).

If not, I'd prefer the old time stamp.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I like absolute time stamps rather than relative stamps. The absolute ones are always "true" where as the relative ones are not if the screen hasn't been refreshed. Plus you can't see if there is something goofy going on with the clock.

Remove ads