11 Times 'The Hobbit' Is Just Like a Game of 'Dungeons & Dragons'

This article over at Zimbio lists 11 things The Hobbit which makes it just like a D&D game. From Bard's critical hit to Bilbo's clear leveling up, the article takes a tongue-in-cheek look at the movie. "Like some massive battle mapped out on graph paper and playmats, The Battle of the Five Armies feels like the cinematic interpretation of a really great Dungeons & Dragons campaign." Spoilers follow.

This article over at Zimbio lists 11 things The Hobbit which makes it just like a D&D game. From Bard's critical hit to Bilbo's clear leveling up, the article takes a tongue-in-cheek look at the movie. "Like some massive battle mapped out on graph paper and playmats, The Battle of the Five Armies feels like the cinematic interpretation of a really great Dungeons & Dragons campaign." Spoilers follow.

1. Bard's natural 20
  2. Erebor in ruins as the ultimate campaign setting
  3. The dwarves and the loot they get from the dragon
  4. Everyone's alignments
  5. Galadriel turning undead
  6. Killing 100 orcs like they were minions
  7. Legolas' amazing saving throws
  8. Bilbo leveling up and gaining level-appropriate gear
  9. The "boss" battle
  10. Your character dies!

Click on the image below for the full article!

8IMPgEIV66hx.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm also not sure finding and spending mountains of coinage is the biggest issue for some. I imagine just trying to lug it all out from the -Xth floor basement of a cave/dungeon would serve a good post boss challenge:p Thorin and the dwarves were lucky that Smaug's hoard is so conveniently located in their reclaimed home base!

So if you're not reclaiming the lair, you just claim it.

Bagpuss

Legend
28? - Despite facing foes that far outnumber and out class the PCs the DM fudges the dice so no one dies until the end of the campaign.

Zansy

Explorer
(I think yours should be #29 Bagpuss, but Zak S's point transcends the numbers. It's so. Incredibly. True. :p)
30. A random NPC(DMPC?) one-shot kills the boss monster and solves the encounter, whereas the player's tactical thinking, strategy and clever teamwork did not.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Bard's Player: I use my character's son as a make-shift ballista.
DM: I'll award you 4 Inspiration and you may use them all now.
5 dice are rolled with 19-20 for a crit. 2 come up as crits and DM fiats insta-kill.

Legolas's Player: Wait, I let the orc hero bloody my nose, does that get me an inspiration?
DM: No... and by the way, your girlfriend falls in love with the dwarf.

Later...
DM: And you are out of arrows.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Missed the most D&D thing:
The wizard is out of spells for the entire session.

I think Gandalf's player was going for Eldritch Knight but then realized he put too many levels into Fighter instead of Wizard so he only had a couple of crappy spells that weren't worth casting.

Because seriously, there was a night and time to rest during the movie. Which means he SHOULD have had time to prepare new spells for the day!

Ryujin

Legend
I think Gandalf's player was going for Eldritch Knight but then realized he put too many levels into Fighter instead of Wizard so he only had a couple of crappy spells that weren't worth casting.

Because seriously, there was a night and time to rest during the movie. Which means he SHOULD have had time to prepare new spells for the day!

Naw, it's just 4e. He was never sure when he should cap off his Dailies.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Well, based on the content added from the Appendices, Gandalf used all of his spells on a sub-mission where he ran into a bunch of undead and orcs...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads