14th level Monster Conversions

the Jester

Legend
ENTOMBED

The entombed are undead preserved by being encased in shells of ice- but are still able to move or kill. Though the corpse at the core of an entombed is human or of similar stature, with its shell of ice the creature has the stature of an ogre. The corpse within an entombed is very well preserved, though often the skin will turn bluish, and the face of the body is usually frozen in a rictus of fear or sorrow.

ENTOMBED WARRIOR--- Level 14 Controller
Large shadow animate (cold, undead)--- XP 1000
---
Initiative +9; Senses Perception +10
HP 141; Bloodied 70
AC 28; Fortitude 28; Reflex 21; Will 22
Immune cold; Resist necrotic 10; Vulnerable fire 15, radiant 15
Speed 6, burrow 6 (ice only); icewalking
---
[Melee basic] Freezing Smash (standard; at will) Cold: +19 vs. AC; 1d8+7 damage plus 1d6 cold damage and target is immobilized (save ends).

[Melee] Immure (standard; encounter) Cold: The entombed warrior makes an attack against an adjacent enemy: +18 vs. Reflex; Hit: 3d8+6 cold damage plus ongoing 10 cold and target is restrained in ice (save ends both); First failed save: ongoing 10 cold damage and target is entombed beneath the ice; a Strength attack vs. DC 25 is required to burst free (save ends); Aftereffect: target is slowed (save ends).
---
Alignment evil; Languages understands Common (can’t speak)
Skills Athletics+19, Endurance +17
Str 24; Dex 14; Wis 17
Con 21; Int 11; Cha 14

ENTOMBED CRYOMANCER--- Level 21 Artillery
Large shadow animate (cold, undead)--- XP 3200
---
Initiative +14; Senses Perception +15
HP 159; Bloodied 79
AC 33; Fortitude 35; Reflex 30; Will 31
Immune cold; Resist necrotic 10; Vulnerable fire 15, radiant 15
Speed 6, burrow 6 (ice only); icewalking
---
[Melee basic] Freezing Smash (standard; at will) Cold: +28 vs. AC; 1d8+7 damage plus 1d6 cold damage and target is immobilized (save ends).

[Close] Ice Shards (standard; at will) Cold: Blast 4; +24 vs. Reflex; 2d6+7 cold damage.

[Area] Ice Bomb (standard; recharges whenever an enemy drops) Cold: Burst 3 within 10; +24 vs. Reflex; 4d12+7 cold damage. On a crit, the target is immobilized (save ends).
---
Alignment evil; Languages understands Common (can’t speak)
Skills Athletics +22, Endurance +23
Str 24; Dex 18; Wis 20
Con 27; Int 11; Cha 14

Rechan

Adventurer
First failed save: ongoing 10 cold damage and target is entombed beneath the ice; a Strength attack vs. DC 25 is required to burst free (save ends)
I assume that the save is related to the ongoing damage, not the being trapped in the ice.

Also, when they're trapped in the ice, I presume they're helpless?

The Entombed Cryomancer doesn't really feel any different from an Ice Archon. I guess that's just because all the attacks are just cold cold cold, nothing really creepy or undeadish.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
The Entombed Cryomancer doesn't really feel any different from an Ice Archon. I guess that's just because all the attacks are just cold cold cold, nothing really creepy or undeadish.

I'm open to suggestions- what do you have in mind? I looked at the ice archon, and yeah, I see what you mean.

the Jester

Legend
Here is my revised version of the thought eater, updated to MM3 standards.

A few notes:

Defenses and damage were too low; I added the "hungry pursuit" ability to emulate its prior-edition ethereal status; changed "thought devouring burst" to "devour thoughts" and revised it for ease of use and less "eat up all your powers har" in favor of more "out of dailies? STUN! har!"

I also clarified its ability to sense thoughts; before it was pretty undefined.

Oh yeah, I added the whole "feed on psychic damage" thing too; it seemed to be a nice surprise waiting to catch a party off guard.

Attachments

• Thought Eater.pdf
    75.6 KB · Views: 61

the Jester

Legend
The alkilith, revised to MM3 standards.

Pretty much just fixed some math and changed its aura to give it more of a soldiery "Hey, why don't you stick around?" kind of effect.

Attachments

• Alkilith.pdf
    76.6 KB · Views: 51

the Jester

Legend
Okay, I am taking another crack at the entombed.

I'm trying to give them a little different feel from the ice archons. I just realized my Monster Vault book isn't in the box- whoops!

EDIT: Found it.

I tried to use the way they interact with cold and fire damage to set them apart.... we'll see how I did.

Attachments

• Entombed.pdf
    81.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Notes on the quaraphon:

This is one of my favorite monsters that I've never used. I'm adding a couple of additional types to this entry to fill in the gaps between levels a little bit, including a minion version at higher levels.

Most of the changes to existing quaraphons are math changes, but there are a few others. The swaggerer gets a triggered action to make him more soldiery (along with marking enemies on a bite), for instance.

The herder's leader abilities when a fairly substantial revision (and I added some leadery stuff to its deafening bellow). As it was, call the herd wasn't really worth wasting a standard action on, plus it triggered an OA; I changed it to make it a more worthwhile limited-use ability.

Attachments

• quaraphon.pdf
    89.3 KB · Views: 150

Remove ads