• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1890 ship speeds?

TheGrandNuge

Explorer
Does anyone know of a good online rescourse for 1890's steam ship speeds? Or just know the answer to the following question:

Our party travelled from England, I think Dover, to Alexandria, Egypt by steamship. How long would that trip have taken in 1890?

Any good rescources for this sort of thing in general? Whether history based or gaming based?

Croesus

Adventurer
Does anyone know of a good online rescourse for 1890's steam ship speeds? Or just know the answer to the following question:

Our party travelled from England, I think Dover, to Alexandria, Egypt by steamship. How long would that trip have taken in 1890?

Any good rescources for this sort of thing in general? Whether history based or gaming based?

You might want to check out the following link for the Cunard Lines, which ran steamships during this timeframe.

Cunard Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Encyclopedia of Ships lists steam-powered passenger ships with cruising speeds of 11-19 knots (approximately 12.5-22 miles per hour).
One top-tier example is the White Star Line's Teutonic, built in 1889 for 300 passengers, with a cruising speed of 19 knots.

S'mon

Legend
I recommend using a speed of about 15mph for your calculations. The need for maneuver, delays etc mean that official top cruise speeds are not a good guide to actual travel time, especially in a Dover-Egypt trip. For crossing the Atlantic they might work better.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads