• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1930's Pulp True20 Game

I'm cool with your reason for the Doc and Mac knowing each other, Quickleaf.

And I agree that Colin probably guided him in Africa. (How long ago, though? Didn't Colin leave Africa at age 18? Or just South Africa?)

I don't know if he and Hawkeye know each other yet or not, but doubtless the Doc is looking to hire a pilot to get to a little-known island chain to do research. Possibly they've done business together before, possibly even through Mac.

I have no idea if he and Haarland have met. About they only thing they have in common is nationality. Still, anything is possible, and unlikely coincidences are part of the genre.

Why Doc Raven is in Shanghai: Why is he anywhere? To do research, of course, and maybe picking up some public-speaking appearances to pay the bills. I figure he's been going to and fro Southeast Asia (and up and down in it) lately, and has worked his way back up to Shanghai, hoping to follow up a lead of some kind in some little-known islands.

Trilobite, if you want that lead to be something related to the adventure, go for it; just let me know. Or possibly he was invited up to Shanghai to give a talk - which can be either genuine, or a fake intended as a trap. Since Shanghai is a great place to hire a charter plane, he readily agreed.

He finds the war stuff to be unutterably boring and inconvenient - a distraction from the important things in life.

Last edited:

Trilobite,

Just curious how you intend to run social skills in the game? (Since my character has a lot of 'em.) I know that people have different takes on this point.

Quickleaf

Legend
Have you guys set up the pbp yet? I was away for a day.

My preference around social skills is:
* Make social skill checks optional (the player can just play it out if they wish, if the Narrator is uncertain he can always assume all sides are taking 10), but if the player chooses to make a social skill check the result is binding for the player to role-play.
* Rich Burlew's Diplomacy variant (which involves risk v. reward, and relationships).
* Sense Motive doesn't detect lie, it does what its name implies.
* Gather Info only for secret or hard to find information. Basic info which moves plot forward is hand-waved by Narrator.

trilobite

Explorer
I am working on getting the game started. Hopefully I can begin the first In Character post today or tomorrow. I will also be briefing everyone on what is going on with their characters and give some background information on 1930's Shanghai.

Galethorn

First Post
Sounds good; I'll be away from home GMing an in-person game for (effectively) all of today, but I'll have for all of this tomorrow.

trilobite

Explorer
iwatt has be having problems getting on EN World for the past week or so. I will delay the game a bit to give him a chance to get things fixed.

trilobite

Explorer
With the problems that iwatt has been having. I have decided to move the game over to the True20 boards. Check out the Pulp True20 thread in the Settings section for more info.

If that is ok with everyone that is. :)

Remove ads