• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1E Resurgence?

FriarRosing

First Post
I got started with 3e and have played only that and 4e so far. I'm what I would presume would be the target audience they're trying to reach with the new stuff (or at least I certainly was when 3e came out, I think. I was in adolescence). I was raised on video games, when I was younger I thought anime was bad ass. But I've found myself drawn to the older editions. Recently I got the three core 1e books used (and the Wilderness Survival Guide, for some strange reason. I think it was just super cheap on Amazon) and just today my Rules Cyclopedia arrived.

For me the appeal is the general feel the older games seem to have, or that I at least imagine them having. I've yet to actually play any of them. I think I'm going to start a monthly RC game in addition to my (mostly) weekly 4e game--1e just seemed too intimidating for me. But the idea of not needing a battle mat, and for having freeform kind of play where your ideas were what were most important, not what the books said you should do, is something I find very appealing in a post 3e world of predefined powers and strict character roles. Also for me its a reaction to things like World of Warcraft and its ilk. I kind of want something that actually feels dated. For me, as someone who missed the earlier stuff, the very fact that it seems archaic adds to the mystique and atmosphere. How I perceive the game matches with what it's about--the game seems old and mysterious, just like the forgotten ruins and dungeons and all the crazy loot my players will hopefully find.

It's hard to describe what draws me to want to play it, or at least check it out. I love 4e, and found that, as much as I like Monte Cook's ideas, I don't like 3e much at all. But there's something about everything I've read about the older editions, and the ideas of these old, forgotten worlds people played in, that really draws me towards it.

It's weird.

Last edited:

Goblinoid Games

First Post
Is there a resurgence of old-school games? I think there is no question of that. What really excites me, though, is that I think we are seeing just the beginning. It's only now picking up enough steam to be more noticeable on peoples' radar, and I can't wait to see what happens over the next few years.

bagger245

Explorer
Is there a resurgence of old-school games? I think there is no question of that. What really excites me, though, is that I think we are seeing just the beginning. It's only now picking up enough steam to be more noticeable on peoples' radar, and I can't wait to see what happens over the next few years.

You are partially to blame for these resurgence mister!! Hehe;)
Labyrinth Lord is the best thing that happened since RC.

Grimstaff

Explorer
I really, really hate to ask this - but since we have like 10 other threads about this on the forum, and it's clear nobody's budging with the same arguments, I will. Could we just accept that, for quite a few folks, 4e feels a lot like RC/1e, even if you have no idea why they'd feel that?

I think there are maybe some folks who believe 4E might "win" if we admit it has old-school feel, and 4E must never, ever be allowed to "win". :D

I however have no problem whatsoever with 4E being a "gateway" dru..er game.. leading players to 1E...:p

Again, looking for reasons for the visible resurgence in old-edition interest, not reasons why "4E sux", thanks!

Grimstaff

Explorer

Thanks for helping lead the way!:)

Psion

Adventurer
I think there are maybe some folks who believe 4E might "win" if we admit it has old-school feel, and 4E must never, ever be allowed to "win". :D

It's easier to assume someone has an ulterior motive than admit someone just doesn't agree with you, eh?

As for me, since I don't see "old school gaming" as an inherent positive (having been there for the good and bad), I can say that a game having an "old school vibe" in no way indicates that it "wins".

I just find that 4e is so eager to scuttle legacy D&D elements that it's far more credible to presume people would go looking for old school games because those elements are missing in 4e, not because those elements are present. I mean, if 4e gave you the old school feel you liked, then why would you go looking for it somewhere else?

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Psion said:
...if 4e gave you the old school feel you liked, then why would you go looking for it somewhere else?

Because you want more of it?

Because you like the imitation but might really like the real thing?

Because 4e kicked on the nostalgia nozzle and therefore you'd like to live a little in the past?

Because you miss your days of playing in your buddy's parents' basement?

Because you liked playing D&D on Fridays and watching the D&D cartoon on Saturdays?

Those are some answers. I'm sure there are others. Does it really matter?

If 4e gives folks a 1e feel, as evidently it does, and those folks (unlike you) enjoy that sense of gaming, then - cool. Just that: cool.

I fail to see the problem, nor do I understand how and why people can say someone's "feelings" are wrong.

WP

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads