D&D 5E 1st-10th Level: How Many Times Does A PC Mage Cast Magic Missile?

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Sorry for the rant, but evocation spells are pathetic when it comes to empowering them by higher level slot.
No worries.

By any chance have you changed any of the spell mechanics in the D&D games you play to make evocation spells more powerful with higher level spell slots? If yes, what kind of changes did you make?

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Because my Wild Magic Sorcerer had only a +2 in Charisma until level 12, this was one of my go to spells, since I was guaranteed damage and it worked well with Tides of Chaos. Probably used it on average 3-4 times per long rest over the first 10 levels.
This is great information. Thank you OB1.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic

By the Cosmic Laws of Arcane Magic, which I am just now creating off the top of my head, an arcane spellcaster may only ever use ANY spell from their spell list...

...ONCE per caster level! When you go up in level, you can use it again...but only that one time until your next level...and so on.

That's why you are always out to acquire more spells. So you can enact MORE magic as you increase your power and reputation.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
When I had a level 4 wizard, I think I cast it about a half dozen times over the course of an adventure. Most of these were against a Helmed Horror which, as it turns out, is immune to force damage but thankfully my DM had forgotten to check on its immunities and I didn't know about it until after the encounter when I looked up the Helmed Horror in the monster manual so we ended up winning that encounter with only two deaths instead of five.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It is also very good as a cheap way to force concentration saves. If you are fighting g a group magic users it can make a huge difference.

guachi

Hero
Since all the missiles strike simultaneously, you couldn't trigger more than one check per target. Though since they automatically hit they are a cheap method of ensuring a check, especially if there are multiple sources of concentration up.

Remove ads