1st ed ranger conversion?

Pagan priest

First Post
Some time ago, I found a convesion of the 1st edition ranger to 3.0. Unfortunately, my hard drive crashed awhile ago and I lost the file. Is there any one who knows where this conversion was done, or who has a copy they could send me?

Thanks

Steverooo

First Post
Pagan priest said:
Some time ago, I found a convesion of the 1st edition ranger to 3.0. Unfortunately, my hard drive crashed awhile ago and I lost the file. Is there any one who knows where this conversion was done, or who has a copy they could send me?

Thanks

What do you remember about it? (I did one, so it might've been mine.)

Pagan priest

First Post
Steverooo said:
What do you remember about it? (I did one, so it might've been mine.)

It was a while ago that I found it (1-1/2 to 2 years???), I'm afraid that I don't remember too many of the actual details... except that the formatting didn't translate well to my computer, had to do a lot of retyping.

What little bits I do remember are that I felt that it was a good conversion, and it gave a reason for two different types of rangers. At the time I got it, I had no opportunities to run a ranger, and I was running a game in the Forgotten Realms. Now, I am running my own world, and the 1st ed ranger class has long had a significant role to play in events. (Search for the rightful king and all that stuff...)

If you wrote one , is there any way I could see it? I really don't want to take the time and energy to write one myself and I have no clues as to where I originally found that one.

Thanks

Dagredhel

Explorer
Dagredhel said:
I may be mistaken, but I believe what you are looking for was included in the Netbook of Classes produced by the FanCC. If I can find the link, I'll post it.
Here is that link. There is a prestige class in volume 1 called the giant-hunter (or something close) that is a conversion of the 1e ranger.

Pagan priest

First Post
Well, thank you for the link, but what I am looking for is not a prestige class, it is the 1st edition ranger class written up as a core class for 3rd edition. The Giant Hunter PrC may have to do, I haven't found anything else.

The Net Book of Classes was another casualty of the hard drive crash, I'm glad to get a new copy of it.

If there are any other possibilities, I'd be glad to hear about them!

Again, thank you for the link.

qstor

Adventurer
He might mean a conversion that was on the Old conversion area before Morrus took it down.

I'm not sure..but here's my .2 cents. I would limit favored enemies to the races listed in the 1st ed. PHB and give them the spell progression as outlined starting from 8th level in the first ed. PHB and give them alignment: good only and lose ranger abilities if they become any alignment other than good.

I'd use Monte Cook's ranger in addition to the changes above if you're using 3.0 That will enable players to customize their ranger a bit.

Mike

Pagan priest

First Post
I wish I could remember just where I found it. It was a while ago, and after I got it, I changed flavor text to suit my campaign.

I'm using 3.5 currently, but that would not have much effect on this ranger class. It is so different from 3.X D&D that the difference between 3.0 and 3.5 is trivial.

qstor

Adventurer
I did a search on google but only came up with the versions that were on the old EN 3rd edition news site.

I like the 3.5 version a lot better.

Mike

Remove ads