1st Edition AD&D: Greyhawk (Full)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I'd like to see if anyone out there is interested in a 1st edition AD&D PBP game. While I like 3.5 for it's internal consistency, I feel like 1st edition is relatively rules-light and easier to run combat via the PBP format.

The setting would Greyhawk. I'd use the 1st edition AD&D Player's Handbook and Unearthed Arcana for character creation (owning either a hard copy or pdf of both books would be a requirement). I would also use a few house rules, such as flipping some of the combat tables so that high numbers are always good. AC would be similar to 3e/4e starting at base 10 and increasing with the addition of armor, Dexterity adjustment and so forth (e.g. AC 6 would become AC 14). I would either run an adventure module that no one in the group has ever played or come up with my own campaign. Play style would be quick and dirty, focusing on action and adventure.

So what do you say? Interested?

UPDATE
Recruiting is over. I will consider alternates but this game is currently full.
See post #10 for character creation rules.
Current players:
possum - elf fighter/thief
pneumatik - human ranger
InVinoVeritas - human paladin
HolyMan - human cleric
Voda Vosa - dwarf fighter
Kobold Stew - human mage

Rogues Gallery
In Character

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Since I'm using Unearthed Arcana, I'd allow all of the variant sub-races except dark elf and gray dwarf, as they are a bit too associated with evil to be accepted by mainstream society. Evil alignment would be fine, as long as your character doesn't have a diabolical mindset ("I'm going to blow up the whole world! Muahahaha!"). But most people wouldn't be able to look at a dark elf without being afraid for their lives.

I'm not sure about starting level. If I run my own campaign it would probably be 1st. I won't subject you to 0-level mayhem. And challenges will be appropriately scaled for such characters so that you won't be expected to take down something as nasty a troll while still in your character's formative stages. I would also remind interested players that 1st edition does not feature critical hits except as an option, an option that I will not be using. Thus you need not worry about one lucky strike from a goblin taking down your heavily armored fighter. I'll also be using minimum 1st-level hit point rolls from Unearthed Arcana, so you'll be guaranteed a fighting chance.

I am thinking of allowing Method V (Unearthed Arcana) for ability scores for humans in order to allow a player who wants to play a human to play any character class desired. If you want to play a demihuman, I will probably use Method I or Method II from the DMG. I might even give the player a choice before rolls are made. I will eschew any point-based generation methods though. It tends to encourage too much optimization IMHO.

If there are any adventure modules that interested parties have never played but would really like to play, let me know. I have almost all of them, even some 2nd edition ones, which are backwards-compatible enough to run with minimal changes. If it is something I feel like running, I'll consider it.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Count me in. Definitely, count me in.

Here's a human paladin:

7d6;5d6;8d6;3d6;6d6;9d6;4d6 → [4,6,3,6,5,4,3] = (31)
7d6;5d6;8d6;3d6;6d6;9d6;4d6 → [4,6,4,5,1] = (20)
7d6;5d6;8d6;3d6;6d6;9d6;4d6 → [1,4,2,1,1,6,6,4] = (25)
7d6;5d6;8d6;3d6;6d6;9d6;4d6 → [1,3,3] = (7)
7d6;5d6;8d6;3d6;6d6;9d6;4d6 → [6,4,3,4,5,2] = (24)
7d6;5d6;8d6;3d6;6d6;9d6;4d6 → [6,4,1,6,4,6,1,3,6] = (37)
7d6;5d6;8d6;3d6;6d6;9d6;4d6 → [6,5,6,1] = (18)

7d6=31, 5d6=20, 8d6=25, 3d6=7, 6d6=24, 9d6=37, 4d6=18

Strength 17
Intelligence 15
Wisdom 16
Dexterity 7
Constitution 15
Charisma 18
Comeliness 17

Adjusted for minimums and Cha bonus for Com, we get:

Strength 17 (+1 to hit, +1 damage, +500 wa, 1-3 open doors, BBLG 13%)
Intelligence 15 (4 additional languages)
Wisdom 16 (+2 Magical Attack Adjustment)
Dexterity 15 (-1 Defensive Adjustment)
Constitution 15 (+1 HP, 91% system shock, 94% resurrection survival)
Charisma 18 (max 15 henchmen, +40% loyalty, +35% reaction)
Comeliness 20 (Beautiful; +30% reaction, fascinate at Wis 13 and below, rejection causes effective Com of -10)

Class Benefits:
Detect Evil 60'
+2 to all saving throws
Disease Immunity
Lay on Hands to cure 2 hp
Cure Disease 1/week
Protection from Evil 10'
+1 to hit, +1 damage with mounted lance
Can Parry to reduce opponents' attacks (-1 to hit)
Can attack at +1 level while mounted
85% unlikely to be thrown from the saddle, 85% unlikely to be injured if mount falls
Appraise horses: estimate hp, +2 hp/hd for steed
Fear Immunity
+2 to saving throws against illusions
Paladin Code of Conduct: Can only have 10 magic items, no excess wealth, 10% tithe, only Lawful Good henchmen, associate with Good only

I'll work on the rest later. Should I roll normally for starting funds and hit points?

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I rolled using straight 3d6. The first character had a 4, 10, 12, 7, 10, 11

My next one is survivable with a 13, 10, 11, 11, 12, 15. Looks like a fighter with 13 str and 15 cha.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Deuce, this isn't OD&D. I would never ask you to roll 3d6 in order unless that is the method you really, really want to use. If you want to play a human, use Method V from UA. If you want to play a demihuman, you can use Method I or Method II from the AD&D DMG. If you stick with the method you used, I'm afraid your character might have difficulty surviving or at the very least wouldn't be on par with those characters using the other rolling methods.

Anyone have any preference for the campaign? I have a number of adventure modules I would be happy to run. I've also been thinking about doing a dungeon crawl set in the middle of the Bandit Lands.

Since IVV wants to play a paladin, that is going to mean everyone has to play good alignment. So I'll allow the paladin if everyone is happy with that. A paladin will only associate with non-evil neutrals on a single expedition basis provided the expedition serves the cause of lawful good. That means no long-term adventuring group with non-good characters.

Last edited:

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
I'm fine playing a good character. While I don't have an adventure preference, I also haven't really played any 1st ed. modules. I'm happy to play anything you want to run, airwalkrr.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I've thought about doing the Bandit Lands dungeon crawl before. Something akin to a secret or abandoned lair discovered in the Rift Canyon. I'd like to try out that idea. I'm thinking we start the adventure at the entrance to the dungeon. Skip the boring stuff about how your group got together and how you got there. We can just make that up as we go along. I'd like to just dive right into the adventure.

possum

First Post
1st Edition? Never played it before despite owning the books (I have both of the required, thank you garage sales.) Sounds like fun.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Looks like there is plenty of interest. So here's a brief recap of those who have said they are interested.

pneumatik: hasn't decided on race/class
InVinoVeritas: would like to play a paladin (approved as long as everyone is okay with playing good alignment)
Deuce Traveler: needs to reroll, hasn't decided on race/class
possum: hasn't decided on race/class

Character Creation​
-Unless otherwise stated, use the rules as written.
-All characters begin at level 1 with 0 experience points.
-All races from UA p. 7 allowed except dark elf and gray dwarf.
-All classes from PH and UA allowed. Character class limitations (UA p.7) and Racial Class Limitations (UA p.8) apply.
-Armor and weapons permitted as per UA p.13. Use Weapons Proficiency table from UA p. 26.
-All PH and UA spells allowed.
-Choose a method for ability scores.
If playing a human: select a class and use Method V (see UA p. 74)
If playing a demihuman: use either Method I or Method II (see DMG p. 11); choose rolling method before you roll; roll 3d6 for Comeliness (adjust for race and Charisma normally)
-Use starting hit point minimums (see UA p. 74). Roll normally and take minimum or roll, whichever is higher, before adjusting for Constitution bonus (if any).
-I will roll for secondary skills and starting age. Most characters will begin at either young adult or mature age. Demihuman clerics tend to be older, possibly middle-aged. Take this into account when considering background.
-Starting money represents inherited wealth and savings. Use the Starting Money table (PH p. 35) to roll starting wealth. Paladins and cavaliers roll percentile for starting status as follows (see UA p. 25 for starting equipment by status):
01-69-Horseman of the Lower Middle Class
70-85-Horseman of the Middle Middle Class
86-93-Horseman of the Upper Middle Class
94-97-Horseman of the Lower Upper Class
98-99-Horseman of the Middle Upper Class
100-Horseman of the Upper Upper Class
-Alignment may be any provided there are no conflicts within the group.
-I will roll for psionic ability unless you indicate that you do not wish for your character to have psionic ability.
-Player Characters start the adventure with no hirelings and no henchmen.

That should cover character creation. Ask me if you have any questions.

Remove ads