• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2 PCs charge 1 NPC from same direction

Endovior

First Post
Don't apply that, no. That's for situations like two people are next to a treasure, and they both dive for it at the same time, or other similar things.

The Charge rules should be the same for standard charging as well as for Ride-By-Attack: as there is no notation that they are different. Clearly, RBA does not follow the absurd center square rules, otherwise you'd have a notation like:

In addition to attacking, you run over the opponent, doing extra trampling damage.

Also, if the rules were different, you'd have a notation like:

Normal: Without this feat, you may only charge along a straight line to the center of your opponent's square.

Clearly, neither are true.

Also note that if you take away the grid for a reality check, consider jousting Knights. They are clearly charging, and yet they are not noving directly into their opponents... there is a barrier between the two that prevents this. Thus, they are charging along a line that does not directly pass through their opponent's 'square'... realistically permitting this situation.

gabrion

First Post
frankthedm said:
Closest Creature: When it’s important to determine the closest square or creature to a location, if two squares or creatures are equally close, randomly determine which one counts as closest by rolling a die.

Endovior said:
Don't apply that, no.

Oh but I really really want to. My players will be so happy when I take their free will away from them.

Player: I Charge right up in front of the Orc and attack with my greatsword.
Me: *rolls some dice* Well it looks like you actually charge one square to the left for some reason. Unfortunately the Orc is standing on the edge of a cliff...

Edit: For the record, I'm sure there is some reason that doesn't work, but it just creates such a funny image in my head.

frankthedm

First Post
gabrion said:
Oh but I really really want to. My players will be so happy when I take their free will away from them.

Me: *rolls some dice* Well it looks like you actually charge one square to the left for some reason. Unfortunately the Orc is standing on the edge of a cliff...

Edit: For the record, I'm sure there is some reason that doesn't work, but it just creates such a funny image in my head.

:] Oh, it works, I reserve that for mounted twinks who try and argue 2 handed powerattack damage when they only have one hand on thier lance.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
gabrion said:

A space from which the person making the charge cannot actually make an attack that round does not qualify as a space in the random determination of spaces. You have to move to the closest space from which you can attack, not just the closest space.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Mistwell said:
A space from which the person making the charge cannot actually make an attack that round does not qualify as a space in the random determination of spaces. You have to move to the closest space from which you can attack, not just the closest space.
Right, but gabrion's point is that one of those spaces might not have ground underneath it. Or, it could be filled with lava, etc. :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Infiniti2000 said:
Right, but gabrion's point is that one of those spaces might not have ground underneath it. Or, it could be filled with lava, etc. :)

Yeah I get his point. However, I don't think the rules or logic work that way. Taken to the extreme, even a wall would qualify as a space you could attack from, since plenty of magic would allow you to occupy a wall (just as magic could allow you to attack while flying, walking on water, walking on lava, etc...). I think it's implied a space from which you can make a normal melee attack without the aid of magic.

Remove ads