• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2[W] and Versatile?

jasin

Explorer
If I'm wielding a longsword in two hands (+1 damage since it's Versatile) and use a power that deals 2[W] damage, is that 2[W] + damage from Versatile for 2d8+1; or 2[W, including damage from versatile] for 2d8+2?

Moon-Lancer

First Post
without giving a thought i would say just add it once, but you bring up good question. thinking about it it seems like it should be added to [w]. I don't think the rules say ether way.

Also if you wield a long sword in two hands, is it a two handed weapon for power attack?

Harr

First Post
[W] refers to only the weapon dice. after the weapon dice is multiplies you add each bonus to the result.

Weapon-related bonuses are applied whenever the power has the Weapon keyword, and they are applied one time on top of the damage you get from the power.

So you would end up with (2d8 + whatever ability modifier) +1 on that example.

Kordeth

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
without giving a thought i would say just add it once, but you bring up good question. thinking about it it seems like it should be added to [w]. I don't think the rules say ether way.

Also if you wield a long sword in two hands, is it a two handed weapon for power attack?

I don't think so--versatile weapons are one-handed weapons that you can use in two hands, but they don't actually switch to the "two-handed" weapon type when you do so.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
It specifically says in the combat chapter that [W] is the damage die with no indication that any bonus should be added. Meanwhile, under versatile we see that the +1 is just an unnamed bonus to add to the damage roll. [w], [2w] or[3w] are all just one damage roll so it follows that you only add the +1 once.

So the answer would be no.

Last edited:

Harr

First Post
Kordeth said:
I don't think so--versatile weapons are one-handed weapons that you can use in two hands, but they don't actually switch to the "two-handed" weapon type when you do so.

I haven't found anything to say otherwise, but I would think that a weapon is two handed if you're using it two-handed and viceversa.

What about a halfling fighter using versatile weapon? it's clearly a two-handed weapon as far as he's concerned, but it wouldn't get any benefit from choosing two handed Weapon Talent?

However, if you go strictly by 'keyword' philosophy then yeah I agree.

Harr

First Post
From the WotC Boards:

WOTC Mearls said:
This is not an official answer, but let me give some insight into how versatile is intended to work.

As a rule of thumb when using a versatile weapon, default to giving the player the most beneficial reading of a rule or situation regarding one or two handed use.

So, the fighter would still get his weapon talent, and he could also gain the benefits of reaping strike.

Versatile is intended to let you have your cake and eat it too.

Traken

First Post
WotC_Mearls said:
This is not an official answer, but let me give some insight into how versatile is intended to work.

As a rule of thumb when using a versatile weapon, default to giving the player the most beneficial reading of a rule or situation regarding one or two handed use.

So, the fighter would still get his weapon talent, and he could also gain the benefits of reaping strike.

Versatile is intended to let you have your cake and eat it too.
Link.

Personally, I think the +1 getting multiplied is correct. Either way, it's a swing of 4, maybe 5 damage, later on. Not much to be worried about.

Edit: My first ninja! Noooo.

Last edited:

Remove ads