• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

20 Questions about your Game

howandwhy99

Adventurer
This was making the rounds since last week. I just wanted to post my own answers, blogless as I am. Here are the questions:

1. Ability scores generation method?
  2. How are death and dying handled?
  3. What about raising the dead?
  4. How are replacement PCs handled?
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
  14. What do I get experience for?
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
  17. How do I identify magic items?
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how?
  20. What about splitting the party?

Nebten

First Post
Yah sure, why not. I'm pretty straight-foreward though.

1. Ability scores generation method? Typically depends on size of the party. I give the option of point buy, 4d6 drop lowest (re-roll ones for a small group)
  2. How are death and dying handled? I try to avoid it until level 5 or so. Otherwise, by the rules.
  3. What about raising the dead? If they got the cash and ability to do so, it is fine.
  4. How are replacement PCs handled? I'm not a fan of of replacements. Most PCs will get some special ability in my game. New PC's won't get this ability. They will also come in at the base of the lowest current PC. Anything can be discussed though.
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else? Individual
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? This will be discussed before hand. Fumbles provoke an AoO in most games
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? Only if its magical or certian situations.
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? Not from physical attack. Fireball a buddy and he makes a reflex save.
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? Nothing wrong with running away to fight another day
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no? Yes
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? Yes but that is typically in a climatic scene.
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? I use them, and I hope the players to do. I will only call it into question during certian situations.
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? No need for a mechanic. Throw me some fluff and I'll be happy. XP comes at the end of the day.
  14. What do I get experience for? Anything I see fit.
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? My players don't use retainers, even though they should at times. Morale is dependent on the type of combat and if I want to drag out a loosing battle.
  17. How do I identify magic items? Per the rules
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? I factor in the type of world they are in and size of the city. Trying to rob a magic store in my games can be just as difficult as raining a red wyrm's lair ;)
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how? Yes if the rules allow it. I will warn a PC if they won't have time to create items. I had a druid who picked up a bunch of crafting feats but it as a long, multi-level dungeon crawl. I didn't know until mid-levels.
  20. What about splitting the party? As a DM, I always recommend splitting the party. :devil:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Ability scores generation method?
3d6 in order. Kill 'em to reroll everything. 3:1 swapping.

How are death and dying handled?
One of the few PC-Only rules is -10 hp = death. Everything else dies at 0. PCs go unconscious at 0 and begin dying in the negatives.

What about raising the dead?
It's possible by many means, but more difficult at lower class levels. Resurrection chances put in place a random ultimate limit on coming back from the dead.

How are replacement PCs handled?

Tons of ways by player choice. Roll up a new PC, level 1, 0 XP. Play an NPC with DM supervision. Roll dice for the monsters. Etc.

Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
Yes. By player choice. d6 rolled every round. Round lengths can differ.

Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
No, but there are many other ways to increase to hit odds, damage, and much, much more.

Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
Yes. If worn on a head, helmets typically help that head from being hit.

Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
Yes. However, firing into melee may result in hitting any target therein. Missile into melee or reach into wrestling, distance and speed of attack affect targeting. Characters may attempt to fire at their friends when out of melee too.

Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
Yes. May the luck of the dice be with you.

Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
Yes. The game includes Class Level increase and decrease. Some stuff may drain levels, but they are typically rare. Level bolstering is not available, Class advancement is only through role play.

Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
Yes. And die rolls other than saves may result in death as well.

How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
by player choice. I track many, many factors behind the screen. If something in the world effects your character within their perception, I will let you know.
- However, players who track the few stats & equipment their PCs have are appreciated.

What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
Some stats go up upon level gain. Some new abilities may be gained as well.
Training is required to gain a level.
Spellcasters gain spells in many different ways. Some include: Divine casters upon spell level increase with the next level's list. Arcane casters every arcane class level, 2 spells / level, custom or pick from available lists.
XP is given between game sessions. Level advancement for PCs is between sessions too. Downtime is unnecessary unless this is a reference to training.

What do I get experience for?

All XP is by Class for class activities. Separate totals are tracked for each class per character.

How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?

Yes. By player choice (player initiation).

Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
Retainers are possible. Morale is for NPCs only, PC actions are always by player chosen attempts. However, morale remains the domain of the Cleric. The Alignment/Morale system is only somewhat less complicated than the magic system and slightly less than the combat system.

How do I identify magic items?
By any means you wish to attempt (within table rules). Some are more reliable than others.

Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
Trade, buy, cajole for, yes. Alchemists are a good bet for buying potions, by default campaign design.

Can I create magic items? When and how?
Yes, but it is very difficulty until higher levels, then it is only mostly difficult. When is by player choice, How depends upon the item. All item creation is costly and time intensive.

What about splitting the party?

What about it? By player choice.

Crothian

First Post
Ability scores generation method?
I allow the players to pick their own scores for the character concept they have developed

How are death and dying handled?
Death is very rare in the game. I prefer other penalties to the PCs then death.

What about raising the dead?
As per the rules

How are replacement PCs handled?
If a player wants a new character we work to make him hit in the campaign and with the group.

Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
individual

Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
Normal rules

Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
Nothing extra, it is assumed most armor has head protection as part of it.

Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
It is not silly, and yes you can.

Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
You can try to kill whatever you want. You might need to run if you get in over your head. I never design encounter assuming the character will run or not run.

Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
YES!

Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
Yes, it can happen. Just like a failed save can result in the death of an NPC.

How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
They are considered and looked at but not audited.

What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
PCs gain levels when the DM says they do. This rarely if ever happens in the middle of an adventure. Adventures are usually pretty short I dislike long dungeon crawls. But there are no training rules. Spells are gained when levels are achieved.

What do I get experience for?
Doing things and learning.

How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
Yes, either way depending on what is needed.

Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
If the PCs wan them they can have them. Morale is based on many factors the DM tracks.

How do I identify magic items?
With spell or skill

Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
If you can locate a seller and afford them. Not all magic items are going to always be available and the cost will vary depending on circumstances.

Can I create magic items? When and how?
We use the rules of the game. So, if you have the skill, the feats, and the resources, and the time then you can.

What about splitting the party?
Encouraged!

kitcik

Adventurer
I am going to answer this based on me being DM, not based on my current campaign.

1) Ability scores generation method? 4d6 any order
2) How are death and dying handled? RAW
3) What about raising the dead? If you can afford the appropriate scroll, you can gave it done.
4) How are replacement PCs handled? start 2 levels lower than lowest party member, but I will work you in right away.
5) Initiative: individual, group, or something else? individual
6) Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? crits by RAW, fumbles by DM discretion (not too terrible)
7) Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? If it's stylish, it could make you happy I suppose
8) Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? Yes on a fumble if you don't have Precise Shot
9) Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? If you need to run, I will give you a chance to
10) Level-draining monsters: yes or no? Yes, at appropriate levels
11) Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? No doubt. Be ready.
12) How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? The intention is to be strict on encumbrance (up to the player to be honest tho) and lenient on resources (I assume you get the appropriate food/drink/ammo at your every opportunity).
13) What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? At the end of the day, you get XP. get enough and you level. No multiclass penalty, but I am strict on requirements ans no re-training unless an error was made or I pity your sorry character
14) What do I get experience for? besides killin stuff, whatever i want to encourage
15) How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? combo
16) Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? never came up
17) How do I identify magic items? I'll let you ID most level-appropriate items with a Spellcraft
18) Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? The opportunity will arise occasionally. items available will depend on how well i did as a DM in providing decent stuff for each character
19) Can I create magic items? When and how? i won't make it easy, but if that is the basis of your character concept then who am i to spoil your fun
20) What about splitting the party? yes I will try to do this - good luck!

Duke Arioch

First Post
  1. Ability scores generation method? -Point buy or 4d6-worst roll
  2. How are death and dying handled? -PC: -Con score=death, 0=unconscious; NPC: 0=death
  3. What about raising the dead? -Try to avoid (timely rescue by a recurring uber NPC) but, if funds are available, resurrection is possible
  4. How are replacement PCs handled? -Woven in storyline, if possible
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else? -Individual, but sometimes last for encounter
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? -Crits are per game rules, fumbles depend on situation - from AoOs to dropped weapons...
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? -As per rules
    Full Plate: This armor consists of shaped and fitted metal plates
    riveted and interlocked to cover the entire body. The suit includes
    gauntlets, heavy leather boots, a visored helmet, and a thick layer of
    padding that is worn underneath the armor. Buckles and straps
    distribute the weight over the body, so full plate hampers movement
    less than splint mail even though splint is lighter.
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? -Yes. There are feats (precise shot) that would be obsolete if ruled otherwise. Same goes for spells
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? -Depends on situation. Sometimes, party simply rolls badly, and even simple encounter can end up in disaster. Why not run and live another day, then return when you are ready again?
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no? -Yes.
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? -Ofc. Barbarians like beating you to pulp. Wizards like to make you think giant monster wants to eat you. Why deny him that?
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? -Not very strictly... with those haversacks and bags of holding, it is not very difficult to pack 12 tanks, a ship two horses and an elephant and not be encumbered anyway. Resources are tracked strictly. Except for ammo, and food.
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? -I usually dole out XP at the end of session or adventure, so it can't happen in the middle of it. Some things are immediately upgraded (saves, BAB, HP, skills) others need training (feats, spells). I assume time spent on previous level counts as training for BAB, saves, skills.
  14. What do I get experience for? -Wit, originality, and per rules.
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? -Search, spot. XD
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? -I usually disallow retainer/cohort feats/classes, but there are missions/quests/encounter where there will be NPCs working with party.
  17. How do I identify magic items? -If PC has knowledge/appraise, I let them roll percentile, and on certain (very high) roll they remember or discover what the item does. Or, in shops (or with scholars/sages) percentile roll decides if the shopkeeper/scholar/sage knows it or not. Fee is in place, ofc.
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? -Yes. Not every shop has every item, but many of them can be ordered and would arrive a bit later in game time (if shop doesn't have it in stock)
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how? -I tend to discourage players from item creation feats, but if they want to do it, I let them per game rules: skills/feats and XP cost
  20. What about splitting the party? -Player choice, and also, sometimes storyline demands it.

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
  1. Ability scores generation method? We prefer point buy, but allow rolling 4 D6 lose the lowest.
  2. How are death and dying handled? Neg hit points equals dying. Hit points at or below the negative of the character's Con equals dead.
  3. What about raising the dead? We've eliminated the Raise Dead spell, and it's relatives. In place, we run an adventure where someone has to go to the "Land of the Dead", in whatever flavor, to find and retrieve the person.
  4. How are replacement PCs handled? New characters joining the group, whether as new players or replacement characters, enter one level lower than the lowest in the group.
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else? Individual
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? Critical hits as per the standard D&D rules, no fumbles.
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? D&D 3.5 doesn't give explicit advantage, but rather presumes that a helmet is included as part of whatever armor your character is wearing.
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? Yes.
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? Our game world doesn't level up with the characters. Some encounters are best avoided, and victory in battle is never guaranteed.
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no? Yes.
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? There are "Save or Die" spells in the games, and there are monsters with death gazes, petrification attacks, and/or just really deadly poisons. If you want guaranteed safety, visit Disneyland.
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? We start out fairly strict, but as Bag of Holding and it's cousins come into the game encumbrance becomes less of an issue. Resources are always tracked, as limited food and other resources are basic of our game world.
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? No training as such. The level reflects the fact that you've been "training" as you gained the EXP for the level. New spells are automatic. Advancement seldom occurs in mid-adventure.
  14. What do I get experience for? Successfully facing challenges, be they combat or RP. Noting that sometimes "Success" is a relative term, and in some cases, escaping with your life is counted as a success.
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? Most commonly, the first trap of a scenario is located by someone triggering it :). Then, and only then, do they remember that they're supposed to be looking for traps. Dice rolls are used.
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? Retainers and hirelings are rare enough that morale has never been an issue.
  17. How do I identify magic items? Potions can be identified with a Craft:Alchemy check, as per the rules in the book. Scrolls can often be identified with Read Magic (if you have confidence that it isn't trapped or cursed). All of these, and anything else, is identified using Identify, or Analyze Dwoemer.
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? It depends on where you are. Large city? Probably, but there isn't a "Wiz-Mart" anywhere in our world. Some items get rolled for to see if they're available, some are common enough that you just buy them, and some simply aren't available.
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how? Yes, using the normal Feats designated for the purpose. When? Any time you can take a day off (Per the rules, creation efforts are done in 8 hour chunks, not a few minutes here and a few minutes there.)
  20. What about splitting the party? In town? Happens all the time, particularly when there's a shopping trip planned. Elsewhere? Generally not. And in a stress/danger situation? Someone will begin to sing: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waa2ucfgVgQ]Never Split The Party - YouTube[/ame]

Sekhmet

First Post
  1. Ability scores generation method? Usually 3d6.
  2. How are death and dying handled? Sometimes you die. Either your friends help resurrect you or they don't.
  3. What about raising the dead? Available in all large cities and any Cleric of high enough level.
  4. How are replacement PCs handled? I'll find a way to drop them into the adventure.
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else? Individual.
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? Yes. Threaten/confirm and rolling 1.
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? -2 Spot and Listen, 25% Fortification.
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? Yes.
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? Sometimes you run into something that can beat you. Keep your options open.
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no? When they make sense. I won't substitute a goblin for a wight if you're in a graveyard.
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? Yes.
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? Resources are very strict, where encumbrance is a little fudged. I try not to worry about "how you pack it", instead "how much does it weigh". It doesn't make much sense packing twenty Orc Waraxes, but I can overlook it.
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? I generally just wait for the first "rest" period. If that means sleeping the night in the wilderness, or in the dungeon, that is okay.
  14. What do I get experience for? Using skills well, overcoming challenges, fighting, roleplaying, and thoughtfulness.
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? A combination. I'll describe the area, and if a trap is evident (DC10 or less) it will be included. Sometimes, you can see the trap (spiked floor) but not how to avoid it.
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? Yes. I start with morale of about 10, and modify for style of play and buffs. A courageous, heartstrong Paladin would probably have a 12, before his buffs. A sneaky, selfish Thief might have an 8 - he'll probably run if his own life is on the line.
  17. How do I identify magic items? Cast Identify (or equivalent) or use Spellcraft for minor magical items (up to +4) or Knowledge: Magic for +5 and higher.
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? In some cities, and not all items are available. Most towns will have a priest or apothecary that can sell minor potions.
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how? Absolutely. Anytime you can spare the time, so long as you have access to the materials and work space. You might be in a small village, using the local blacksmith's forge at night while he's sleeping.
  20. What about splitting the party? I don't do it often, but it can happen.
[/QUOTE]

Mercutio01

First Post
This was making the rounds since last week. I just wanted to post my own answers, blogless as I am. Here are the questions:

1. Ability scores generation method? Usually 4d6 drop lowest. Sometimes I allow a reroll of the lowest score.
  2. How are death and dying handled? Up to the player whether they want to roll up a new character or wait to get raised/resurrected. Most choose to roll up new characters
  3. What about raising the dead? See above
  4. How are replacement PCs handled? Come in at lowest level of the party member
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else? F2F games--individual. PBP, I try to group all the PCs and NPCs.
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? Yes to critical hits, but those are based on the RAW. No to fumbles.
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? No
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? No.
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? It'll be fairly obvious if the party is overmatched.
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no? Yes
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? Could be.
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? I track resources (arrows, daggers) closer than encumbrance, but I do keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't ridiculous.
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? Funny, that hasn't happened yet, but will be soon. General consensus is increased ability scores, BAB, HP, but skills, spells, feats, and class abilities wait until the next 8hr rest.
  14. What do I get experience for? Overcoming obstacles (traps, enemies, quests). Enemies don't have to die, but they do have to be "beaten," however that may happen.
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? Dice rolling and description. "I look for traps." "Roll Search." I generally do a reflexive Spot check against a trap's DC to see if the rogue spots anything strange, and find an in-character way to hint to the player that he/she should Search.
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? No retainers. Morale is not being used.
  17. How do I identify magic items? Detect Magic and Identify
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? Well, it's an XCrawl game, so buying items is different.
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how? See above.
  20. What about splitting the party? Hasn't come up in game yet, but I wouldn't be averse to it.

Last edited:

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
  1. Ability scores generation method? 4d6 drop the lowest, arrange to taste.
  2. How are death and dying handled? Death at negative Con score.
  3. What about raising the dead? Ok.
  4. How are replacement PCs handled? Each player, at the start of the game, creates 4-5 characters. These represent the characters the player has available to them. If a character dies, the player has the option of using another character from their stable or creating a new character (3d6, arrange to taste).
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else? Individual.
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? Critical hits, yes. Fumbles, no. Critical hits are as per RAW with an added bonus determined at random from our critical hits table.
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? No.
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? Our 1st-level PCs encountered a Fiendish Roc. 'Nuff said. We run and hide.
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no? Yes.
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? Yes.
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? Strictly.
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? Training is required to level. Generally, one week is required in study or practice from a more experieced NPC or other powerful entity (dragon, demon, etc.)
  14. What do I get experience for? Combat, role-playing, traps, achieving strategic and tactical goals.
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? Combination.
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? Hirelings are encouraged. Morale is DM fiat at the moment.
  17. How do I identify magic items? Spells, skills, or trial-and-error.
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? Some are available.
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how? Yes, as per RAW.
  20. What about splitting the party? We often split the party.

Last edited:

Remove ads