• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

20 Questions about your Game

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I'm playing in 3 games right now and DMing none, so I'll answer based on the game I enjoy the most (by a fair margin over the other 2).

1. Ability scores generation method?
    - Point Buy. PF 25 points, which is ~ 32 point buy in 3E
  2. How are death and dying handled?
    - It's a gestalt party of 2 in a game with a 2 years in development plot (originally had more PCs), so dying would be really bad. We use spells like Breath of Life / Revivify to undo recent deaths and on rare occasion find Fenix Downs to auto revive someone (Final Fantasy based game). Thus far, the longest anyone has been dead is 3 rounds (me!).
  3. What about raising the dead?
    - See above.
  4. How are replacement PCs handled?
    - We've had none. We are the chosen warriors of light and bearers of the orbs, it'd destroy the plot if there was a revolving door of new PCs. DM is extremely lenient with retraining if we want to tweak things.
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
    - Individually rolled, though pets (familiars, animal companions, etc...) use their master's roll.
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
    - Critical hits, as RAW. No fumbles thank god, my DM is an intelligent and decent man.
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
    - Not unless it's a wondrous item...
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
    - No, THAT would be silly. And against RAW. Sometimes if we have energy res 30 up, we'll fire indescriminantly to catch more enemies b/c we both have evasion and "what's the worst that could happen?" ;)
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
    - The early levels we perfected the art of running away and hiding in trees. Past that, the only thing we ever have run from is if we encounter a Triceratops. As it's a long running gag that "there's a Triceratops in the way" means X area is off-limits and if we tried to fight it, it'd be a celestial half troll pseudo-natural paragon advanced HD Triceratops most likely. :)
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
    - Boss encounter just last session, he opened up the fight by shooting an Energy Drain at me.
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
    - Unlikely. Game originally ran 6 years ago and DM only recently picked it back up. Back then he threw rooms of mind flayers and bodaks at us. Since, he's learned those aren't fun encounters and part of the appeal of switching to PF rules for him was less save or dies.
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
    - Very loosely. It'd have to be pretty blatantly exceeding encumbrance or supplies for the DM to care or notice. Last time it came up at all, we wanted to fly past an encounter so as to not slaughter some dinosaurs in our path. We happened to have a charmed dino from a previous fight that couldn't fy and needed to break out the chart to see if we could bear it aloft. I think that's the only time encumbrance has EVER come up.
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
    - No training, automatic. Level up usually happens after gaining enough xp and resting for the night. Sometimes DM withholds level up till the end of a quest or dungeon.
  14. What do I get experience for?
    - Combat and role play. Bonus xp for saying something really funny either IC or OOC, though it's only like 25 xp. Most xp is from combat, though.
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
    - Mostly with rolling. Not much time is spent roleplaying it out or describing things, just obstacles that either mess the party up or they disarm and then move on.
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
    - We have our pets. Sometimes a friendly NPC tags along, controlled by the DM. No real use of hirelings or anything. It's far too dangerous and the DM doesn't want the slowdown of a big group. But the other player and I feel the same, so issue's never been pressed.
  17. How do I identify magic items?
    - Previously: Artificer's Monocle is the best item ever! With the PF update: Detect Magic + Spellcraft does the trick (PF basically just gave every group an artificer's monocle for free, effectively...).
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
    - Locations have limits, but otherwise yes. At our level (just hit 17), it's hard for towns to have what we need, so we mostly rely on ourselves w/ craft feats and the high level NPC allies we have to custom craft the stuff we need. Getting a desired item is only a matter of gold and downtime between quests, no big issue is made about it at all.
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how?
    - See above. We get a disturbingly large amount of downtime for a game where the bad guys are plotting to destroy the world...
  20. What about splitting the party?
    - Only happened once ever, in a dungeon with random teleportation spots all over designed specifically to split us up and test us. We stick together always, or only scout ahead 100-200 ft forward, at most.

Vegepygmy

First Post
  1. Ability scores generation method? Currently point buy, though I prefer to roll.
  2. How are death and dying handled? By the book.
  3. What about raising the dead? By the book.
  4. How are replacement PCs handled? "Death penalty" of starting one level beyond the surviving party's average.
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else? Individual, by the book.
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? No fumbles. Crits by the book.
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? Nope.
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? Yep.
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? Run, you fools!
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no? YES. (Mua ha ha!)
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? Oh, yeah.
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? Every pound and every arrow.
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? No training. New spells automatically, by the book. Can happen in the middle of an adventure.
  14. What do I get experience for? 95% overcoming challenges, 5% good role-playing, reading between-session e-mails, and/or showing up on time for the game.
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? 50/50.
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? Neither encouraged nor discouraged. Morale is strictly the DM's judgment call.
  17. How do I identify magic items? By the book, but hopefully you're smart enough to figure out the easy ways and save us all some hassle.
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? You can buy magic items, but there are no "Magic Wal-Marts." Gather Info checks will almost certainly be required to track down a seller. Or you can commission an item from a crafter, who is easier to find but will probably take more time.
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how? Absolutely! By the book.
  20. What about splitting the party? Sure, but it can get them killed.

Li Shenron

Legend
It's not always the same for me on some of these points, I can change my mind from campaign to campaign, but here are my most likely choices.

1. Ability scores generation method? 4d6 drop lowest, arrange freely
  2. How are death and dying handled?Unconscious below 0, dead at -10
  3. What about raising the dead?I ask the players if they prefer to just raise-and-forget with the right spells (no discounts tho), or if they want to handle it in a more colourful way through a mini-quest (in which case I let the dead PC's player play a temporary PC or help me run monsters and NPCs)
  4. How are replacement PCs handled?New PCs start at the lowest level of the party, minimum XP
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else?Individual
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?Critical hits per the standard rules, no fumbles
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?Only if the helmet description says so
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?It can happen (e.g. AoO spells, range-shooting a target to which your friend is proviging cover), but you pretty much always know beforehand if there's a chance or not
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?Sometimes enemies cannot be killed, and you "win" the encounter (and get XP) if you survive, but I'll try to give you clues on such case
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?Yes, but don't worry too much because by the core rules there are many ways to avoid really permanent level loss
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?Yes, but I'm open to house rules if players are very uncomfortable with the idea
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?Encumbrance is handled very loosely, as in "I will check the numbers only if it looks you're trying to carry something ridiculous"; resources (food, ammunitions, adventuring gear) are tracked fairly strickly at low levels, but should become moot points by mid-levels
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?No need to mention training, you're just assumed to be training all the time on and off adventuring; you level up on your next full-night rest
  14. What do I get experience for?Roughly half from encounters and half from problem-solving, plot advancing etc... (group XP, no individual bonus/penalties); note however that random encounters or anything that doesn't have much to do with your current quests will give you half XP
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?A combination depending on both the circumstances and your own style of play
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?They aren't explicitly encouraged but you can get any retainer you want as long as you pay the costs, loyalty is not guaranteed (unless the companion is granted by a class feature or Leadership feat) and they will be played as NPCs by the DM not the player; morale is handled for NPCs only, with some dice rolls by otherwise pretty much loosely
  17. How do I identify magic items?There's plenty of options: the Identify spell, some of the Knowledge Skills, Bardic Lore, trial-and-error...
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?There are no magic shops, but occasionally some merchant has magic items, hardly what you are looking for tho... If you want a specific item, craft it yourself or find someone who can craft it on demand; healing potions (to heal damage, poison, paralysis, disease and other fairly common afflictions) are definitely easy to find in temples
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how?Yes, just get your PC all the appropriate requirements, and remember not to count on scrolls since as magic items they are usually not readily found on sale; crafting is for downtime only
  20. What about splitting the party?It's obviously up to the party; it can also happen due to circumstances but not too often because it's quite hard for me to run the case properly

Fun. I'll do this for my primarily D&D 3x game. I also have another game that is somewhat less D&D 3x, but still uses that for a basis.

Figure out who your character is. Write down ability scores to suit.

Unconscious at 0, death at negative Cha.

Raise dead is moved to Clr 6, Resurrection to Clr 9. True resurrection is an epic spell.

Characters start at one level below their previous level, with about one-half starting gear. They are integrated as soon as reasonably possible.

Individual initiative.

Critical hits are as D&D 3x. There are no critical fumbles for PCs and very rarely, when it amuses me, for NPCs.

You get a cool looking helmet. Sometimes they are magic.

Its possible, but not likely, due to the way that cover works in 3.x I have considered using a line of fire rule similar to that found in GURPS, but have mostly decided against it. Sometimes NPC critical fumbles result in friendly fire.

7. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
If you do not run from some encounters, you are likely to be eaten by a grue. Whether you need to avoid that fate is up to you.

8. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
Yes.

9. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
Yes.

10. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
For this campaign, not very. I do use monthly upkeep for restocking supplies.

11. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
Gaining a level requires one week of down-time. Player characters can pretty much determine when they take that down time.

What do I get experience for?
Characters gain experience for participating in the session.

How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
Traps are located primarily through die-rolling. Description can apply modifiers to those die rolls.

Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
Retainers are highly encouraged. Morale is a Will save, modified by the Charisma bonus of the employer.

How do I identify magic items?
Magic items are identified via the Knowledge, Craft, or Profession skills. The identify spell grants a bonus to those checks.

Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
All characters can make their own magic items. There is no need to buy them.

Can I create magic items? When and how?
All characters can create their own magic items, using the Knowledge, Craft or Profession skills. Also a magical substance called motes, which characters gain as treasure, or through various uses of their Craft, Knowledge or Profession skills.

What about splitting the party?
Yes.

All the following is Rules-as-Written for Darker Dungeons, which makes it mostly Rules-as-Written for BECMI

Ability scores generation method?

Standard array, arrange as desired.

How are death and dying handled?

Unconscious at 0, save vs Death each round with a cumulative -1 penalty per round until you die or someone heals you.

What about raising the dead?

The Raise Dead spell is mostly available for free providing you have a reasonably intact body (but you might have to wait a few days - which may be critical if you've taken a long time to get back to civilisation). If you don't have a reasonably intact body, you'll need a Raise Dead Fully instead for which you'll need a finger or equivalent sized bit of the body.

If you were disintegrated or otherwise have no bits of the body, tough. You can't be raised.

The Raise Dead spell does not cost money or reduce your level or Con, and there's no limit to how many times it can be cast on you.

How are replacement PCs handled?

A new PC is brought in with the same XP total as everyone else. The players co-operate in handwaving a reason why the new person should join the party.

Initiative: individual, group, or something else?

Individual for players. Theoretically individual for monsters, but groups of the same monster type might roll as a group.

Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?

A natural 20 always hits. A natural 1 always misses. Other than that, there are no criticals or fumbles.

Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?

There's no rules for helmets either way.

Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?

If you shoot a fireball into an area where your friends are, sure. If you're just shooting arrows then no.

Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?

You will sometimes need to run or negotiate rather than fighting.

Level-draining monsters: yes or no?

Yes, but being Raised from the dead recovers drained levels along with the rest of your life force.

Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?

Yes, quite often as you go up levels (but then at high levels the cleric can raise you easily and your saves will be good).

How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?

Mostly handwaved rather than tracked.

What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?

You need a night's rest to go up a level. Level bonuses are gained automatically, with the exception of Weapon Mastery - which must be trained. You must also train/research to learn new spells, although learning new spells is not connected with level gain in any way.

About 50% for treasure acquired, about 10% for monsters killed, and about 40% for generally achieving goals.

All party members get equal XP, I don't do individual awards.

Combination. If a player does something that would make them notice a specific trap, they notice it with no roll. If a thief (or similar) declares that they are searching the ares, they notice it with a roll.

Retainers are available, but are optional depending on party size. Morale for retainers is mostly roleplayed, but there are rules for morale checks if necessary.

Usually by casing the first level "Analyse" spell. This does require you to "use" the item though, which may result in accidentally activating a cursed item.

Generally, no. Magic items don't have costs. However, there will be opportunities to barter magic items for other magic items.

Healing potions can sometimes (not always) be bought from major temples.

It's possible, but the rules really discourage it. The chances of success are low and the costs are high. For most items it's easier to barter existing items for them or to go looking for them in dungeons than to make them.

It's fine if it's temporary ("we'll wait here while you do X") but as a group we're not keen on long-term party splits.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous

Different, but usually 4d6 drop lowest, re-roll 1s

They... die :) In a few games we try to avoid it.

Yes. And no. Depending on the game, their cash and the level of magic in the game.

With care. We'll see where they can pick up new party members most logically.

Individual, groups in army battles.

Yes. As per rules or GM's imagination (har har)

Yeah, as we actually have a hit chart in most games

Of course.

Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?

Running happens. Or TPK happens, their choice :)

No. We don't exactly use the standard level system either.

Yup.

Depends on situation, really. In the wilderness or dungeons, rather strictly.

What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?

We don't do levels as such, what you can or can not do depends on what you chose to train for and which spells you learn. So yes it can happen at any time.

Anything you aren't already doing automatically. Like killing rats or goblins. Or tying your shoes.

Combination.

Depends on game.

Certain spells and rituals, and/or research

Sure, at least in most games. Not cheap though.

Sure, if you've the feats for it. And the resources, and time, and don't get disturbed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUMCIn2swTU"]Don't you know, you never split the party [/ame]

Yeah, well, player's choice and it happens all the time.

delericho

Legend

Current campaign was 30-point buy, using standard 3e costs.

The next campaign, each player will get a choice: 4d6-drop-lowest (standard 3e reroll applies), 28-point buy (standard 3e costs), or fixed arracy 16/15/13/12/10/8.

0 is disabled, -1 is dying, -10 is dead. Healing starts from 0 hit points, regardless of the actual total.

The next campaign will handle this differently: 0 is disabled, -1 is dying, thereafter make death saves - 3 strikes and you're out.

Standard 3e.

You can retire a PC at any time without sanction. New PCs come in at the same XP total as everyone else, with standard equipment for their level. I'll write in the new PC at the earliest opportune moment.

Individual, 3e standard.

Yes and no, 3e standard.

No. Wear a helmet or don't; it's a flavour thing. Unless the helmet is magical, of course.

Been a while since I checked; I think 3.5e eliminated this risk.

You don't need to run from encounters, but you won't be able to kill everything... :)

Yes, 3e standard. If I ever write my homebrew, they'll be going.

I presume you mean save-or-die, rather than just "the fireball does 30 damage; you're dead?"

Either way, for the current campaign, the answer is "yes". If I ever write my homebrew, explicit save-or-die will be removed.

Encumbrance is by armour only. For the next campaign I'm looking to change this.

You get enough XP, you get the full suite of powers immediately. XP is dished out at the end of the session.

At the moment, every PC gets a fixed amount at the end of each session, regardless of what they did. They get XP even if the player (and even character) wasn't present - I don't want to bother with mixed-level parties, and I find that 'penalising' XP gain for absent players just encourages further absenteeism.

A combination.

"I search for traps" - you get to roll.

"I search <location> for traps" - you get to roll. You get a bonus of +2 vs traps in that area, no adjustment on closely-related areas, and a -2 penalty on the rest of the room.

"I <do the specific thing to find the trap>" - you find the trap, of course.

Where possible, I try to provide clues in the adventure to enable players to find the traps without defaulting to character skill, but allow character skill as the fall-back. A dedicated trap-finder can expect to find about 70% of traps by rolling.

Neither encouraged nor discouraged. Morale will depend on Charisma, diplomacy and intimidation skills, and how well the retainer is treated.

The identify spell, whether cast directly, through a scroll, or by a sage.

Potions may be identified by a Spellcraft check, while scrolls are done by read magic.

Yes, 3e standard.

If I ever write my homebrew, this will be changed - you'll be able to buy 'trinkets' (potions, scrolls, and other one-use items). More powerful items will be considered Artifice powers, and selected the same as any others.

Yes. 3e standard.

If I ever write my homebrew, creating items will be the purview of Artificers and similar. See above.

It's discouraged by the nature of the challenges faced, but permitted. Ultimately, players play their characters, not the DM or the game rules.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
So...in Orea, World of the Steel Dragons, my homebrew setting (mostly 1 & 2e with a couple of other random elements tossed in over the years)...

4d6, drop the lowest, arranged as desired. If a player doesn't have a concept and wants to let the dice fall where they may and go in order, they are welcome to. If a player gets pretty "sub-standard" or "nothing that good (15 or higher)" results I am inclined to allow re-rolls of some or all and/or, rarely, a 2-to-1 "point swap" (take 2 out of some ability and add 1 to the ability you want better).

Unconscious at 0 HP. Dead at -10.

It is uncommon to rare, difficult and expensive. Not all temples are capable of doing so and those they do, having clerics capable of the miraculous feat are fewer and farther between. Mostly just an issue at lower levels, once the party can do it themselves, it's no big deal...though sometimes the Goddess of Death doesn't want to let them come back...side-quest to the Underworld, anyone?

As seamlessly as possible. They are found captive or fighting or fleeing, alone, some monster and need the party's help. If in civilized areas (towns, a keep, etc.) easy enough to have them "assigned" to help the party or just "bump into them in the tavern" or whatever. But some kind of "story/in-game" reason for them to be joining the group. Noone just "appears" there or is "retcon-ed" in.

Group...unless a member of the group is separated or far enough away from them (a thief or ranger scouting ahead, for example), then individual first and group coming into play when everyone catches up.

There are. Natural 20 always hits. Max damage (including strength and all other bonuses) X 2. If that's a killing blow, then probably some cinematic moment of "awesome" (a decapitation or what have you).

Fumbles, generally, only mean that you've, literally, fumbled and dropped your weapon. I have played in games/had groups where all kinds of bad things can happen (damage the weapon, hit your friends, hit yourself!, etc). But we generally do not pull out THAT chart in most of my games.

Only if something is landing on their head. :)

Uh...YEAH!

9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
Discretion is the better part of valor! Learn it. Love it. Live it...and maybe be able to keep living. :devil:

10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
Nah. I, long ago, did away with that. Replaced it with ability score drains, lingering effects, and the like. Can kill ya just as easily without taking away from the PCs' hard won XP. I reeeeally reeeeally hated doing that in yester-years and basically just never used any Level-draining monsters in my games until I switched that.

11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
Sure. Absolutely.

12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
Meh. Encumbrance, not really until it starts getting ridiculous/someone tries to take advantage. My players are typically pretty realistic about their PCs and how much they can carry v. how quick they want to move. Arrows and food and water, how many coins you have left (only really a concern at low levels) YES! But not much further than that.

13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
When a PC gains a level...this is largely circumstantial. Training during downtime whenever possible...but it's not always...and I don't like to screw my players in the middle of a adventure nor do I care for the story interruption of "Ok, then we're leaving/have to go back to town"...particularly when there isn't a town for quite some distance.

Fighter and Rogue-types I generally let just level up. Clerics and Druids can more or less "meditate" their way up. Special Abilities (Paladinic powers, druidic/specialty priest abilities that come at certain levels)? Yes, those require "training."

Mages are the most difficult, since they have to have spells to study/learn...NO, you absolutely do NOT get spells automatically! Spells do not just twinkle into existence on the pages of your grimoire! So if you go up and can get 3rd level spells, but have no 3rd level spells on your person, you're kinda SOL. So I do tell players to be thinking ahead, keep some scrolls on them for such an occasion, etc.

In those cases when there's a spell slot with no spells to fill it, I generally allow the MU to take extra lower level spells to fill that spell level. i.e. A mage gains enough mid-adventure to begin using 4th level spells, but has none to put in their spellbook. Until such time as they can, they can take an extra 4 1st level spells or 2 extra 2nd level spells or 2 1st and 1 2nd, whatever as long as they don't exceed 4 spell levels. (I do not allow higher than 2nd level spells in these kinds of RARE substitutions).

I have, on occasion, been known to allow for "full training/resources" to be found mid-adventure...in limited/particular circumstances that will allow for the increase of ALL abilities and skills...but, again, as makes sense/keeping the world's internal consistency.

14. What do I get experience for?
Treasure (GP value). Monsters defeated (not necessarily "kill" but "defeat"). Completing a story arc/adventure. Good, I should say "Exceptional" Roleplaying ("Good" Roleplaying is expected as a given or you're not gonna be playing for much longer)...Doesn't have to be some amazing speech to an NPC. Sometimes, just making the table crack up will get you some XP.

15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
Find traps roll? Otherwise, they are "located" via the "*Click*Sproing* Wuh? *GACK!*Urk*" method.

16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
They aren't discouraged. I've just never had players that were really interested in using them. Morale is case-by-case thing. Some creatures will run. Some won't. Some aren't smart enough to. Some have reason to or reason not to. I do not make the party roll Morale or anything like that.

17. How do I identify magic items?
Vewwwwy carefuwwy. ;) Nah, I have the "identify spell" in my world, but it is mostly the purview of NPC mages, the diviners' guild, a cleric at the temple of the god of knowledge (or goddess of magic), or some such.

Yes, it will cost you (though I gave up on 100gp pearls a loooong time ago, but at least some kind of "service/favor" if not actual gp) and yes, it takes time. But I basically say, ok, in a day, you can ID everything you need to...unless it's some kind of mega-uber-magic artifact thing...might take longer. But generally, when the party gets to civilization, with a decent magic-user in it, they can ID their stuff...unless the party mage has the spell and they want to waste the day's worth of time out in the field.

18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
Curative Potions, yes. Relatively easily. Other simple potions (Strength or Speed, etc) perhaps. Depends on the size of the town/city, the relative skill of the apothecary or local witch or the priests in the abbey, etc.

Scrolls of low level spells are basically able to be found/purchased in any "medium sized town or larger", somewhere there is a tower of the mages' guild or a reasonably adept scribe. But nothing over 2nd level spells are generally available. Even in large cities, getting a 3rd level spell on a scroll is going to be very rare (unless you're best friends with the resident archmage or something) and expensive (in gold and/or favors).

Wands are generally not for sale though may be commissioned if you can find a mage or priest of adequate power and disposition...and also, will be expensive.

Staves, rods, "major" magical items (like helms of brilliance or ethereal platemail), etc. will not be found "for sale."

Weaponry and armor over +2 (whether by enchantment or "masterwork" skill) will never be available for purchase no matter how large the town or city.

Some minor miscellaneous items may be found/acquired, sometimes by accident, in larger settlements from merchants, "minor magic or potion shoppes", an aristocratic dealer in "arcane curiosities" and the like...or particular smaller communities (getting some boots of elvinkind in a village in the kingdom of the elves is not so difficult, for example).

19. Can I create magic items? When and how?
Maybe. When you're older. ;) But yes, over 10th level, a mage or priest may opt to create items of their own...given the proper materials, immense amount of time, energy, and wealth it will require on a case-by-case basis. "Altering/adding" to an existing item is not so difficult...though still expensive and requires time (if not as much). Needless to say, I've yet to have any PC craft their own items.

20. What about splitting the party?
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!!!! Are ye daft, man?!?! NEVER split the party! But...ya know...Players will be Players and they do anyway...hilarity oft ensues.:devil:

xigbar

Explorer
  1. Ability scores generation method? Point buy, usually 32. Players generally know what they want to play when they come to the table, and imposing random roll on them may make it hard for them. I leave improv to the actors. My players get typecast.
  2. How are death and dying handled? If a character dies, they're out of the game. The player can make a new character who must be of a different class, unless they're mutliclassed enough that's it's essentially different.
  3. What about raising the dead? Sure. If the spells are there for them, the spells are there for me as well.
  4. How are replacement PCs handled? I will accomodate a new character in to the story, but encourage the new backstory to aid the transition.
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else? A mix. PCs and boss type enemies get individual initiative. Common groups of thugs and other packs of generic enemies get group initiative. Unexceptional people usually work in hivemind anyway.
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? Yes. Criticals are per the 3.5 PHB. Critical fumble only applies on skill/ability checks, with varying results based on how much they failed.
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? The drawing for most armors imply that a helmet is already included. So, yes, but, you always do anyway. Magical head gear confers benefits as described.
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? Of course you can. It may be unlikely at higher levels, but a level 1 aspirining marksman has only the aspirations.
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? You'd better run from some encounters. Your directions might not be so explicit in real life, and accidentally wandering in to the dragon's cave is a possibility. The world does not simply level up when you're ready for it to do so.
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no? Yes. But I and some of my players are optimizers, so it's necessary to keep them on their toes.
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? If those are the rules.
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? As strictly as is realistic if you're stranded and are far from replenishing resources, survival is a very real threat.
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? You level up. You've been training for a while, and then, I sum it up as the "Oh!" moments, where your character realizes how tp piece together all the new things they've been learning, causing a jump in capabilities.
  14. What do I get experience for? Killing the right enemies, sneaking past ones you shouldn't try to kill, roleplaying well, completing a dungeon.
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? "Located?" Strategically. Enemies will likely be placed so that you'll be in their charging range at the same time you run on to a trap. Players must be paying attention, and check as precaution to prevent this. These are adventurers. I leave it possible for the enemy to charge in to the traps too, Int score pending.
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? I'm not sure what you mean by retainers. If you mean "retraining," then no. The idea that a character simply "forgets" how to do something in place of something else is silly. The only exception is if the player was inexperienced, and didn't know why their choice would end up useless until after the fact, but I give plenty of opportunities for more devious players, I draw the line somewhere.
  17. How do I identify magic items? Usually some combination of things. Appropriate spells like Detect Magic will usually be required to notice if it even has magical qualities. A good Appraise/Spellcraft/Knowledge Arcana check will reveal more specific details of the item's function. I always make it at least possible to full identify the item, with some work.
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? Up to a certain value. Unique items, no matter their "price" can't be bought. Weapons of up to a certain enhancement bonus, dependent on the game's relative level of power, can be purchased. This rarely goes past +3 abilities, if that, and then only in places with high economic activity, and high quality blacksmiths.
19. Can I create magic items? When and how? Yes. As per the rules. Artificers will be given a watchful and vindictive eyeballing.

20. What about splitting the party? Absolutely. I've always though it would be interesting to split game sessions once and a while, if and when PCs have been split by some event, and keep the events of those sessions secret, for a time. It also gives me, as a DM, an excuse to use multiple story ideas, if I can't otherwise get them both out at once.

1. Ability scores generation method? 4d6, drop lowest die and assign at will. Re-rolls per GM discretion.
  2. How are death and dying handled? Death occurs at negative con score. Knocked out at negative HP. Though I don't go out of the way to kill PCs. Most PC deaths I've had are because the PC did something stupid.
  3. What about raising the dead? If the PCs have the time, money, and access to the spells they can raise the dead. Assuming the soul is willing and/or able to return.
  4. How are replacement PCs handled? I try to find a way to work them into the group. Why are they there, what's their motivation. Sometimes it's easy to work them in other times it's hard.
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else? EVERYONE roll for Initiative. Though sometimes if there are large hordes of monsters I'll have them go in groups.
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? Yes to both. A natural 1 always misses. Roll the die again to see if something awesome ... or horrible happens.
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? It's part of your armor. So it helps protect you. Though there may be times when I will specifically ask but that is only in special cases.
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? If you don't care about hitting them with your bow, then yes its possible. Dropping a fireball on your friends hurts them just as much as your enemy.
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? Just because it has stats doesn't mean you should fight it. Though I try to make it obvious that you should change tactics or flee.
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no? Yes. Though I try to take each party's abilities into account when I plan encounters. A permanently lost level does not actually result in an actual decrease in level but instead the PC gains an XP debt.
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? Yes, but only in climatic battles. Or if the PC is being stupid.
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? I keep track of weight carried mostly. Things like food and generic ammo I just ask the PCs to drop some gold to replenish their supply when they get back to town. I don't see the reason to slow down the game even more with making sure the archer has "enough" arrows. Besides, this usually becomes trivial pretty quickly due to magic items.
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? PCs level up when they hit the required XP, which is handed out after a session. If that happens to be in the middle of a dungeon so be it. They gain everything that they would get at the new level except spells which requires rest.
  14. What do I get experience for? What don't you!? Role-playing, mapping, combat. All of it! If I have a player that enjoys some aspect that the DMG doesn't consider, why should I punish them?
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? Usually when the lead PC walks into them. ;) If someone that can find traps announces they are searching for them I'll ask for a roll when it becomes relevant just to speed things up.
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? You should always wear your orthodontic devices. ;) Depending on how a battle is going for the monsters, they may flee or press the attack.
  17. How do I identify magic items? Per the spells or skill checks. The one exception is scrolls. If it's written in a language you know and the spell is on your list, you can figure out what the spell is just by looking at it.
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? Depends on where you are. If its a big city with a magic academy and lots of churches, sure. If you're in a small fishing village then probably not.
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how? Sure you can craft your own items! A crafter can start working on items right away in the field. So if the wizard wants to magic up the barbarian's sword, he can start imbuing it with magic in his off time, such as before bed. When the party gets back to town the wizard spends a day to finish the crafting. This needs to be roleplayed so it isn't cheating.
  20. What about splitting the party? If the party wants to split, then they can. It can lead to some interesting moments.

Last edited:

Remove ads