2007 ENnies Nominees - announced!

catsclaw227

First Post
HalWhitewyrm said:
Frankly, I feel this is not reason enough and almost irrelevant because, according to the principle of "one person, one vote", the two votes cast by someone voting from work and from home, in the end, account for the two individuals living in the same household (a factual situation for more than half of the FTB staff). The ENnies do not require that a voter be a gamer or even knowledgeable of the nominees to cast a vote, reason enough to simply ask someone with the knowhow (i.e. a gamer spouse) to vote on their behalf, acting as a proxy. If I tell you that I voted twice, but also tell you that there are two individuals in my household, the principle of "one person, one vote" is still upheld.
I hear what you are saying, and "one person, one vote" doesn't mean "one household, one vote", but I think voting from home and from work violates the spirit of the law. It wasn't done as a means of representing additional family members, because it appeared that FtB was trying to get around the "one IP, one vote" rule.

What are general rules regarding voting by proxy? I believe (IANAL) in political elections, there must be power of attorney to cast a vote for another.

In a more relaxed law, would it only require written permission? What is the Ennies rule about the age of a voter?

By this argument, I could hop around to various wifi spots, vote on behalf of my mother, sister, brother, wife, daughter, son, casting votes and tainting the results. And if your definition of "one person, one vote" is used as the reasoning behind it, then yes, it is valid I suppose.

But it still violates the SPIRIT of the law in a malicious, disrespectful way.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
And if your definition of "one person, one vote" is used as the reasoning behind it, then yes, it is valid I suppose.
But it still violates the SPIRIT of the law in a malicious, disrespectful way.
And I actually agree with you, but the point remains that this isn't necessarily spelled out on the rules, and while someone may see it as a malicious way to get around the system, someone else could see it as a valid expression of the rules of the game, and they wouldn't necessarily be incorrect. I realize this is debating semantics, but that's precisely the reasoning behind the decision to request a withdrawal.

Again, I brought this up only for the sake of argument, to get it off my chest and to show one more reason why the rules of the ENnies need to be revamped for the future, which is already on the slate. I also think it's time to let this float away once and for all.

The_Universe

First Post
HalWhitewyrm said:
I would also like to support the idea of setting a forum specifically for the ENnies at the award's website, so that conversations dealing specifically with the ENnies can be conducted in the proper venue, as opossed to spilling it over to EN World or other forums.
I think this is a good idea. It certainly can't hurt.

catsclaw227

First Post
HalWhitewyrm said:
Again, I brought this up only for the sake of argument, to get it off my chest and to show one more reason why the rules of the ENnies need to be revamped for the future, which is already on the slate. I also think it's time to let this float away once and for all.
I completely agree that the rules for voting need to be codified.

• Is it OK to vote for a family member by proxy?
  • How does one avoid the opposite problem? What if my wife and son were gamers and they couldn't vote from our home PC because I already did it?
  • What is the rule regarding the age of a voter? (I am assuming 13yrs is the cut-off, that being the general "internet" cut-off)

Serious Paul

First Post
So are any of us who did what you asked and emailed you going to get a reply, or was this simply a tactic to stop public discussion of this? (If so I find that even more deplorable than the events, or Micheal Morris's conduct during all of this.) As far as I can tell that tactic will fail pretty hard, as this is a pretty serious topic in a lot of places-certainly not limited to here. (Something that I think is good, after all public discourse is always good.)

I'd also like to suggest that like other non-profit and volunteer organizations, which as a law enforcement officer I have some experience with, you codify the acceptable behavior of volunteers. Not everyone, obviously, is able to uphold the standards expected of them.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Serious Paul said:
I'd also like to suggest that like other non-profit and volunteer organizations, which as a law enforcement officer I have some experience with, you codify the acceptable behavior of volunteers. Not everyone, obviously, is able to uphold the standards expected of them.

Believe me, I'm with you on that one. I'm pretty livid right now.

MojoGM

First Post
I just found out about the whole FtB / Ennies controversy. Damn shame how it all went down, and for such a trivial matter at that (come on, are they the ONLY ones to vote from home and work? if you believe that I have a below prime flexible rate mortgage to sell you).

But I think how it has been handled by the Ennies side of things is horrible.

My faith in the Ennies has been shaken. I'm not sure whether I'll even bother with them in the future.

Remove ads