• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2007 ENnies Nominees - announced!

yavftm

First Post
GlassJaw said:
I'm in the same boat. As I've stated earlier in this thread, I'm an avid gamer and buy a decent amount of stuff and there are products nominated that I've never even heard of or seen discussed on EN World.

I don't feel right voting in categories in which I'm only familiar with one or two of the products.

I have to assume the vast majority of votes are in the same boat. I'd almost prefer for the winners be selected by the judges and announced at the ENnies. At least I'd know that they had equal opportunity to review them all.

As a nominee, I have mixed feelings about that. While I appreciate the hard work that all the judges put into the process, it would be amazing to be able to win an award based on the wishes of a large portion of my peers. Although Fabled Environments is a gaming company, I am and will always be a RPGer and if the fans are gracious enough to chose our product as the winner of our category, that will be very special to us!

As far as familiarity is concerned, I agree that it is sometimes difficult to become familiar with products. Some are only available as a .pdf download while others may only be available in limited markets. I hope that the samples that we and other companies have offered help you all make your decisions. In addition, I can only speak for myself, but as a game company, we'd be happy to answer any questions about our product that you have in an effort to aid in your decisions.

Whatever your decision is, just know that your votes are precious to all of us involved in this competition. Your participation drives us harder to produce even better products for your consumption. Please exercise this wonderful opportunity you have and cast your votes in support of those products that have intrigued you.

Charles White
Fabled Environments
2007 Ennie Award Nominee: Best Miniatures Product

If life is but a dream, then dreamers are those who see a vision of a reality soon to come.

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
GlassJaw said:
LOL. This is exactly what I said I don't want to do. As a "fan" of the industry, I don't think it's fair to a publisher/product if I just vote for the one product in each category that I'm familiar with. In a political election I'll do that, but not for RPG voting. ;)
Understood. So review samples, visit publisher sites, read reviews, visit the FLGS to browse, or just buy... outside of that, I am not sure what else you can do.

I felt the same way, as I saw the nominations, so I did some footwork so that I would not denying a deserving new publisher or product a vote. Dictionary of Mu is a good example. I had no idea what the product was until I did some research, and ended up rating it fairly high in one of the categories.

It my opinion that an informed vote is better than a blind one, but an only semi-informed vote is better than nothing at all.

GlassJaw

Hero
catsclaw227 said:
It my opinion that an informed vote is better than a blind one, but an only semi-informed vote is better than nothing at all.

I thought about it and went back and gave each category and pretty thorough review. I didn't vote for everything but I feel pretty good about what I did vote for. Definitely some tough choices.

matthewajg

First Post
Thanks to the Judges

Thanks to all of the judges on the Honorable Mention for KITSUNEMORI. I greatly appreciate the recognition, and hope that new gamers interested in introducing Japanese mythology and folklore into their games will take a look at this product. It was my first game design challenge (with the help of Alejandro Melchor's material), so I am obviously very honored.

--Matthew A.J. Gregory :)

jcombos

First Post
Many, many thanks to the judges for all their hard work reading, digesting, and ranking all the submissions. It's a daunting job, and I'm in awe of your collective ability to get it done on such a short deadline.

I'd also like to thank the judges for nominating Hollow Earth Expedition for four ENies. All of us here at Exile Game Studio are deeply honored by the nominations, especially since this is our first book. We're thrilled to be in the running for so many great awards.

Thanks!

Jeff Combos
Exile Game Studio
www.exilegames.com

Serious Paul

First Post
I'm not a regular here, but I want to express my dismay at the conduct of the ENnies staff, specifically Micheal Morris who was especially disrespectful and unprofessional, in their handling of Fear the Boot-while I am certainly not a listener of FtB, I heard about what was done, and did some pretty extensive reading on the subject. (And I apologize if there is a better thread for this to be posted in-frankly this forum is so huge I have no idea where to even begin to look for that thread.)

I'm going to press my friends and professional contacts, which are admittedly both very few, to sever their involvement with the ENnies, and not vote until the ENnies staff conduct themselves as professionals, and what is an obvious hole in the system is addressed in meaningful manner.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
The ENnies & Fear the Boot

Hi Paul,

I would like to urge you to e-mail us with your specific concerns rather than vague condemnations. We would be happy to deal with any specific concern you might have.

I suspect that what you "heard about what was done" probably differs from what actually happened, and I would be glad to address your concerns but this is not the place. I can be reached at denise@ennieawards.com.

Remove ads