• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2011 Campaign Setting... Azeroth?

Novaseaker

Explorer
Still don't know why they haven't used the world of Magic the Gathering. That seems like it would have been a no-brainer.

Which one? The original one? The japanese one? The artifical one? The planet-wide-city one? :p

Personally, I think they're going to do Spelljammer next. They said they're focusing on different genres for the settings, so space-opera/high seas would be really different from anything currently out now. (FR = High fantasy, Eberron = Pulp/Noir, Dark Sun = Post Apocalyptic)

But I really do hope to see the return of Planescape, possibly even using the old Great Wheel cosmology, expanding on the page-sized sidebar in the 4e Manual of the Planes.

Squizzle

First Post
Personally, I think they're going to do Spelljammer next. They said they're focusing on different genres for the settings, so space-opera/high seas would be really different from anything currently out now. (FR = High fantasy, Eberron = Pulp/Noir, Dark Sun = Post Apocalyptic)
I very strongly suspect it will be a new setting, though I assume a spiritual successor of Spelljammer will be the Astral Sea setting book.

guivre

First Post
Which one? The original one? The japanese one? The artifical one? The planet-wide-city one? :p

Indications at Gencon were that they won't be doing Spelljammer as a campaign setting. It'll be folded into the various plane books.

I was hoping to hear they scrapped the whole stupid idea but oh well.

CapnZapp

Legend
While I understand how you tend to guess your favorite campaign world; I don't see how people votes Spelljammer.

It's like Ravenloft - many of the concepts are already in the core game. And many of those remaining will be reflavored as "core" too, I suspect. This makes these settings highly unlikely as the 2010 choice, in my opinion.

Even less likely than WoW or Magic, in fact.

There simply isn't enough to justify full books on them (given the current "overview" approach) - a series of DDI articles and there you have it, is my guess.

But to return on topic; Azeroth would be neat neat neat! :)

Last edited:

CelticMutt

First Post
Yes.

And it suffered from editing and balancing issues; even if we disregard the "which edition is a better fit" issue.

So a new attempt would be welcome regardless; especially if it's a WotC official publication (presumably featuring more experienced designers with more time).

Ah well, we can dream...
What the 3.5 WoW game really suffered from was Blizzard screwing over S&S by constantly delaying the books and tying their hands. None of the books ever even got up to post Burning Crusade, even though at least two or three came out after it, and Dark Alliances was delayed for a year or more, supposedly because of Wrath, but when it did come out some of the material was completely contradicted by Warth, especially the Death Knight rules.

CapnZapp

Legend
What the 3.5 WoW game really suffered from was Blizzard screwing over S&S by constantly delaying the books and tying their hands. None of the books ever even got up to post Burning Crusade, even though at least two or three came out after it, and Dark Alliances was delayed for a year or more, supposedly because of Wrath, but when it did come out some of the material was completely contradicted by Warth, especially the Death Knight rules.
While we seem to agree on the relative quality of the 3E WoW books, I still would like to ask you not to make claims about whose fault it was unless you can back them up with references.

Frankly, I don't care who messed up. I just know those books are unusable for me, and I am just sad there probably won't be another attempt anytime soon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads