• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC 2024 D&D Core Rules Will Be Added To SRD In 2025

SRD 5.2 will be released under Creative Commons next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_3469.webp

The 2024 version of the D&D core rules will be included in an expanded version of the System Reference Document, and available to third parties via Creative Commons (though there is no mention of thr Open Gaming License). The new SRD 5.2 will be available early 2025 after the new Monster Manual has been released.

The new SRD will be localized in the languages which WotC supports.

Regarding the long-awaited SRDs for previous editions, WotC says that they will start reviewing those documents once the 2024 rulebooks are out.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The SRD under CC-BY-4.0 allows it to be used with the OGL, but not necessarily the other way around. So adding the 5.2 SRD to OGL is moot if it is CC-BY.
You say that, but then...
It's not viral and if people want to only use WotC SRD content and nothing else, there are no requirements to open their work as well
I'm sorry, but if you break the "virtuous circle" which was the heart of the OGL, then it's very much not a moot point. While I'm aware that a lot of publishers don't seem to reuse existing Open Game Content, the option to do so is a forward-thinking one which helps ensure that the community remains a creative one long into the future, not just for the next year or two but for decades to come.

That's part of why I look askance at the Creative Commons iteration of open gaming; it's less open than what we've had up until now, and so represents an erosion of one of the best things that's ever happened for our hobby.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
why, because they switched to ORC? Them switching proves nothing about the OGL…

Didn’t they say they would go to court over the OGL if they had to? They would not do that if they knew they’d lose…
They said they would be willing to go to court over it, but then changed tactics and sciested from the OGL entirely. The OGL is, from a game theory point of view, safe enough to use now probsvlt, but based on the close legal analysis from actual lawyers we saw during the crisis...WorC did probably have more than a leg to stand on, and likely would have qon in open court. Fortunately, Creative Commona ia actually ironclad.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sure, but nothing for the next 10 years quite compares to the 2024 core rule updates. So they probably have a point.
Yeah, I mean, nobody forced WotC to release this update stating their intentions. If they meant to let the idea of older Edition SRDs going into Creative Commons die, then they would let it die and not all that many people would remember, honestly. That they keep bringing it up is the hardxore fans within WotC signaling to hard-core fans on the outside that they still care, if nothing else.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
They said they would be willing to go to court over it, but then changed tactics and sciested from the OGL entirely. The OGL is, from a game theory point of view, safe enough to use now probsvlt, but based on the close legal analysis from actual lawyers we saw during the crisis...WorC did probably have more than a leg to stand on, and likely would have qon in open court. Fortunately, Creative Commona ia actually ironclad.
I'm not sure what lawyers you were listening to, but the vast majority that I was aware of came to the opposite conclusion, i.e. that WotC would have lost.

As for the Creative Commons being "ironclad," see above. It's not about the actual ability to revoke anything, it's about scaring people into compliance via fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

mamba

Legend
I'm sorry, but if you break the "virtuous circle" which was the heart of the OGL, then it's very much not a moot point.
it’s really just a change of what the default is. In the OGL you specify what you exclude from the open content, with CC you specify what you open up, neither one is really more open

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
it’s really just a change of what the default is. In the OGL you specify what you exclude from the open content, with CC you specify what you open up, neither one is really more open
I disagree. The OGL mandated that anything derived from Open Game Content, had to itself be Open Game Content. Removing that provision nullifies a lot of the benefits for the wider community.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, even granting that the OGL was intending to be a fully viral license...ot did not do so in any legally effective way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads