24 hour comics, 24 hour RPGs... how about a 24 hour module?

Janx

Hero
In the early days of 3e, I saw some micro adventures, not sure who wrote them. They were about the size of a religious pamphlet, very few pages.

Would a 10 page minimum be reasonable? The assumption is, if you can't fill 10 pages, you don't have enough material. The expectation would be, that more pages would likely score better in a contest (though quality may beat quantity).

Janx

zenld

First Post
i like the word count over page count. if all you go with is page count, you can fill it with stat blocks and maps and art. i'd like to see the adventure in there.

just a thought.

zen

This idea isn't really much different from the Iron Ref idea (Originating in Pyramid magazine 3 years ago) that has become Iron DM and Ceramic DM on these boards. All you are doing is ditching the secret ingredients.

Jeph

Explorer
Hi guys,

I've done two 24 Hour RPGs (One Upon a Time and Long Ago for 2004, which is rather good, and Sunrise for 2003, which is rather bad), so maybe I can offer my perspective on this. In the 24 hour game and 24 hour comic, you have a GOAL of reaching 24 pages: it's not a requirement, it's something to shoot for. Some people did just a plain word document with nothing but text, some people did a bit of formatting, some people, like Mr. Reed here, did the whole shebang.

The point of the 24 hour time limit and 24 page goal is to stimulate creativity under pressure. Some people are liable to have more of those pages be filled with stat blocks or art than plot and character descriptions, some aren't--point is, the way that you fill those pages doesn't really matter in the end, and if you hit your goal or not doesn't really matter either. You can always come back and touch up the game later, like Phil again.

Basically, I'm saying that 24 hours and 24 pages is the way to go, rather than a word count requirement or what not. :)

--Jeff

Remove ads