25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials (upcoming Kickstarter)

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Here's a rough draft version of the most recent map tutorial posted at my Google+ community: Quick & Dirty Map Tutorial 11: Creating a Winterscape Map.

Enjoy!

quick-and-dirty-tutorial11.jpg

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I'm pretty interested in using this for fantasy regional map making.

While the majority of tutorials offered in the first book (initial goal of the Kickstarter) will focus on encounter scale maps, there will definitely be tutorials for regional maps, though with the stretch goal books there will be even a greater focus on regional maps. So I think this project will definitely be able to helpl you achieve your goals!

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
While I wanted to start the Kickstarter yesterday, I only got verified by Amazon Payments on Thursday, which delayed my hoped start of the project on Friday - I still want to start it on a Friday.

I got invited by Gygax magazine to do some print brokering, as the print volume for their needs exceeds the ability of my shop, through industry contacts I'm finding what they need. As a bonus for getting them quotes, Gygax magazine as offerred me 2 full page ads in issue #2. So I want to hold of the start of the Kickstarter, so that the magazine's release falls in sometime during the Kickstarter funding period. (One ad will be for Gamer Printshop, and this Kickstarter project, while the other will go to promoting my Kaidan setting of Japanese horror, PFRPG). If you get a copy of the next issue, look for the ads!

This is a really big deal, and I am greatful of the opportunity this provides me! :D

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Alrighty! Got the Kickstarter video shot last night (during the hottest day of the year) in 3 takes. Just need to add in the music, mix in some maps with cool image fades and that is done. I've found out that Gygax magazine will be released August 2nd, with about 2 weeks to get to everyone - so that's mid August.

I will start the Kickstarter on the Friday, the 26th for sure!

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Sorry for the delays. First Amazon Payments verification process got stalled, when they lost my verification request (it took a full 7 days to get that verified), followed by a problem setting my Project Location (Ottawa, IL), apparently 3PP software on the Kickstarter site didn't include Ottawa, IL as a possible site selection, so I was forced to choose a different, nearby community. The project has now been approved by Kickstarter and activation is ready.

Following advice for optimal start and ending dates for a Kickstarter, I've decided to activate it on Friday, August 2nd running 31 days until Sunday, September 1st. I will post again on the official start date!

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Looks like I'll be writing a regularly column on Game Cartography in Paco Garcia Jaen's G*M*S online magazine starting next week. Also for the Kickstarter, Paco will have me as a guest in the next G*M*S podcast. So I'll be able to keep you updated in more ways than one, regarding my mapping expertise.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Thank you to all contributors, those thinking of contributing and to those spreading the word! We're into day 5 with 74 backers and 3/4's to goal - moving right along.

I did Email Interview with Rob at DestinationRPG.com blog site about me and the Kickstarter.

We've added a couple extra backer levels to meet contributor requests.

A $50 backer level gets you all PDFs of funded books, a map object set of all elements used in the tutorials guide, and a 250 map object set for outdoors, indoors, dungeons and exotic terrains.

A $250 backer level gets you a hard cover autographed copy of the first book shipped to you, all the rewards of a $50 backer, and Personal Tutoriing for up to 3 maps (3 - 6 hours of my time) to help out with problem you may be having trying to create maps using the techniques from the tutorials guide.

Remove ads