25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials (upcoming Kickstarter)

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I posted the First Update to the Kickstarter. There's a link to a free download of the Preview PDF for the first guide book, a link to a blog interview I did with DestinationRPG.com, and a FAQ answer regarding the difference between a map object and a map texture.

We are at the start of the 6th day of the Kickstarter and we're at 84% to goal, at $3186 towards $3750 goal. Please join us today. If you've already pledge, I greatly thank you, please spread the word.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I'm glad I saw this in time! For a moment when I first started reading, I thought I totally missed out!

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well, [MENTION=13882]JediSoth[/MENTION], if you've joined in, you're definitely getting something - GOAL has been MET! (woot!) Now on to the stretch goals... thank you everyone for your support!

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
A Quick Overview on the Stretch Goal Products
This is really the second half of the first book. I originally planned on writing a 50 tutorials guide, but after I figured out the page count to do 50 tutorials, plus sample maps and all the discussion chapters that would have been a huge book (500ish pages) and if that were to be sold on a bookstore shelf as a full color interior book, it would cost like $80 which is too much, so I split the concept into 2 books.

Hand-Drawn Map Tutorials Guide is less quick and dirty, my plan is to offer hand-drawn work on 3 different map types - regional map, city map and an encounter scale map (castle or something) and as many steps as necessary to present them - perhaps 20 or more steps each, using my digital-to-hand-drawn to digital workflow technique. Then several tutorials for hand-drawn detailed map objects.

Using 3D Elements in Mapping Guide - I often use 3D to create detailed map objects, detailed portrayal of complex shadows, use to prepare an isometric/orthographic view map, and rarely 3D terrain. To give you a better product I may add a couple additional authors to write a chapter each. I invited Anna Meyer who uses Bryce 3D to create her 3D versions of the domains of Greyhawk, as Greyhawk maps is her productline. Anna is the one of the few pro female RPG cartographer I know - most cartographers seem to be guys. Waldronate (that's his Cartographers' Guild nickname, I don't now his real name...?) Waldronate is a software developer. He created Wilbur and Fractal Terrains which is an extension of Fractal Mapper, Wilbur is the more complex version of that. He's an expert a true 3D terrain - a real techie. But I think he can bring something good to a book on 3D mapping.

While I have a couple more stretch goals, the above is the main stretch goals.

I really, really want to fund these stretch goals at least! Let's see what we can do to get them into pledger's hands.

Lindeloef

First Post
Yay finally got enough money scrapped together to back you up.
Really looking forward to this pdf cause there are so many times, when I end up with pre-made maps, that don't fit 100% (or even 90%) with what i want.

Good luck in reaching those stretch goals

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Thanks, Lindeloef! Here's a sampling of some of the map objects included in the $25 backer level.

map-objects.jpg

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Here are samples from the 250 map object set available to $50 pledges and higher. There will be many categories of objects, the following are sealife.

map-objects-sealife.jpg

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Here's a rough draft tutorial I created today that belongs in the third book (second stretch goal) for Hand-Drawn Map Tutorials featuring a path and a ford at a creek. It uses an advanced technique found in the second guide book (first stretch goal - more than half way there).

hand-drawn-creek-ford.jpg

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I've removed Stretch Goal #4: Old West Map Object set and converted it to new backer levels. Here is a map created using some of these symbols (250 total), and a sampling of included objects.

old-west-objects.jpg

Remove ads