• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 2nd Edition Multi-Class to 3.5 and Pathfinder

PoorPC

First Post
When 3 and 3.5 editions came out there was one thing that annoyed me. Even when years had passed and we enjoyed the game, it was not there. The awesome multi-class choices that 2nd edition had that were removed and only the dual-class option was left and renamed to "multi-class".
So now you can use Fighter/Mages, Cleric/Mages or any other combination you want.
The following list Multi-Class 2nd edition style for Fantasy campaigns 3.5 and Pathfinder. A Dark Sun version exists, and this can be applied there as well as is.

I don't understand why they did not include when 3rd edition first came out. I call this homebrew class choice "amalgams" since the term multi-class was used for dual-class.

Have fun. I am very interested in suggestions and anything else you guys think about it. If there is anything wrong with it, please let me know.

Amalgams, Homebrew multi-classing for 3.5 and beyond

HOW AMALGAM WORKS
Class Combination: Any allowed in specific campaign.
Alignment: Any excluding class restrictions.
Hit Die: Highest of two or three classes.
Starting Wealth: Highest of two or three classes. In addition each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.
Class Skills: Add the number of skills from all classes and divide by number of classes rounded-up. Create a unique list from these skills, as your class skills.
Skill Points at 1st level: Highest of two or three classes.
Skill Points at each additional level: Highest of two or three classes.

Class Features: Gain the features of all your classes. If a feature is shared by two or more classes then it is gained at the rate of the class offering it sooner.
When a usage limit exists then this is cumulatively increased, if there is no limit then a free general feat is gained.
Restrictions: All class restrictions, such as druid and mage armor restrictions, apply to amalgams, no matter what their class combination is.
Base Attack Progression: Highest of two or three classes.
Saves: Choose a progression set from one of your classes at level 1 for your save progression.
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The broadest weapon proficiency feature from his classes.
Spellcasting: Since all restrictions still apply, meaning an elf fighter/mage would suffer a chance of failiure when casting in chain mail, lest it was
enchanted that way, feats like quick draw are essential in some amalgams.
Specialized Arcane Schooling: Elves and half-elves can be universalists or aeromancers, gnomes can only be illusionists and halflings can only
be enchanters. Dwarves cannot be wizards or sorcerers but can be gunslingers, something which others races cannot.
Elven Magic: Elves and half-elf amalgams do not suffer a chance of arcane spell failure while wearing armor up to chain mail as long as the spell
has only verbal components. Other spells fail normally and non-amalgam elves and half-elves do not have this advantage.
Quick Draw Feat, update: A character with this feat can draw or sheathe a weapon a number of times per round equaling his dexterity modifier +1, this
a free action. So a character with 12 dexterity can once per round draw and sheathe this long sword. He can cast a spell in-between.
Special: Amalgams may take only a single prestige class prior to level 20. Amalgam class combos always count as 1 class and a 1 level when estimating total
levels. An elf 5th/5th Fighter/Sorcerer is a 5th level character. An amalgam may not advance a single class on its own under normal circumstances, though
NPCs may have this feature. To do that the amalgam must spend twice, or thrice if he has three classes, the xp it would take to advance a single amalgam level
He may only again advance as an amalgam if he spends enough xp to balance the classes, incurring the same cost as the aforementioned one. Again this is almost
always for NPCs.
Table, the Amalgam: See each class.
Table, XP progressions: Two class amalgams divide the xp they take by 2 and three class amalgams by 3.
Restrictions of Dissimilarity: Amalgams cannot take Epic levels in a non-prestige class. Amalgam classes cannot be taken as a secondary class option by
single class character, or any character for that matter. Amalgams cannot multi-class (dual-class in effect) with anything other than a single Prestige Class
prior to level 20.
Favored Class: All amalgams lose this benefit.

EXAMPLE

AD&D 2nd Edition;
If a party had each 750,000 xp they would be in this state; Fighter would be 11 level, Ranger would be 10 level, Wizard 12 level, Cleric 11 level and Rogue 13 level. A dwarf Fighter/Cleric would be 9/9 and a half-elf Fighter/Mage/Thief would be 9/10/11. The dwarf split his xp by two and the half-elf by three. Also, the single-classed members have been at their levels far longer and most of them have xp towards their next levels. The xp progression is geometric and level limits for F/M/T is 14/12/12, at most 1-4 more with high stats. The 3 classed was very limited; armor prohibits him from casting and thieving skills.
Amalgams 3.5;
Experience points are divided by two or three, according to the number of classes. When your party is level 10 with 45,000 xp you would have divided them to this effect; A Half-elf Rogue/Mage would be 7/7 with 22,500 xp. An elf Fighter/Mage/Rogue would be 6/6/6 with approximately 15,000 xp. Is a single classed 10 level wizard better than a 7/7 or 6/6/6 character? They are both competent. A 20th level human Wizard compared to a 14/14 level Elf Cleric/Wizard? The Wizard is powerful, but the Cleric/Mage is truly unique.

Last edited:

thedmstrikes

Explorer
Multi Class

I can understand your position, but at least in 3.5 they did address the lack of old style multi class with the Gestalt in the Unearthed Arcana. The cobination of the two classes at each level is slightly different, but easier to figure out. Basically if the two classes have a similar improvement at a given level, such as hit points, then the class that has the better advantage wins out (D6 and D8 for the two classes being combined equals a D8, no averaging). Otherwise you get the full benefits of each class at each level. Unearthed Arcana is available online in the SRD.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I think you mostly got it with the skill list, just apply that concept to the whole thing

Instead of getting the best hit dice, use the one closest to the average of them (d4-d6= d6, d4-d8=d6 d4-d10=d8 d4-d12=d8; d6-d8=d8, d6-d10=d8, d6-d12=d10, d8-d10=d10, d8-d12=d10, d10-d12=d10)

For skill points use the average of them

For Attack bonus progression, use the one closer to the average (or provide an intermediate like 5/8 or 7/8).

For spellcasting, delay increasing spellcasting 1 level the first time you would learn a new level of spells, if the character has more than 1 spellcasting class, the first one gets delayed 1 level, the second one 2 levels and so on.

With all those changes characters could earn xp normally.

PoorPC

First Post
I used the Skill mix-average so that characters can be a little more unique since they are multi-classed, and for some balance. I went with the xp dividing to keep it a bit more retro, as i saw it.
When the party is 9th level a 2 class multi-classed character would be 6/6 and a 3 class one would 5/5/5. Though the multi-class choices can also be duplicated by creating class from scratch that simulate, fighter/clerics - fighter/mages and other such combos, i feel that its more fun when done 2nd edition style.

I am also going to try your suggestion and playtest it if possible.

Last edited:

Remove ads