• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.0]compare these two clerics (power-wise)

mooby

First Post
[all the following is using the 3.0 PHB only]

I'm starting a new game soon, and I want to make a character w/ some min/max'in in him.

my choices have been narrowed down to two different things:

a elf cleric of fharlanghn, modeled after the cleric archer munchiness. Of course, the character isn't as powerful without the elf domain or persistant spell feat, but it's still pretty good.

or

a dwarf cleric of kord, concentrating on melee combat. he will also aim towards the extend spell/ bulls strength combo and will kick butt in melee instead of ranged attacks like the archer.

my question is: which one is more powerful? Also, if I go the dwarf route, is it worth taking a level of fighter (hurting my spells, but giving me proficiency with my greatsword as well as 2 feats)?

Thanks for any help

Zogg

First Post
Can you give us a list of their respective domains (and domains you may be taking)? Domain choice can really effect the power level of a cleric - trust me, I specialize in this class.

mooby

First Post
archer: travel/luck

melee: strength/luck

(I love luck!)

btw, the archer could have tirckery instead of travel.

Zogg

First Post
I for one would vote for the dwarven cleric of kord. Now that archers can only use the 'best of' their equipment instead of combining the bonuses (ie., a +3 bow and a +2 arrow is no longer a cum of +5. It stays at +3), and clerics still have uber-buffs, I would go with him. Furthermore I would prefer a race like dwarves that get a CON bonus than an elf that gets a CON penalty - it helps for both hitpoints, fort saves and concentration checks.

I would also take a level of fighter for the dwarf - if he's going to be a melee fighter he needs access to better weapons and an extra feat like dodge can be most beneficial.

Power_Munchkin

First Post
hm

Fharlanghn has the best domains.

Travel lets you get around the battlefield which is essential for archers. Fly, dim. door, etc. Domain ability is nice also, multiuse freedom of movement contingecy essentially.

Spatula

Explorer
Zogg said:
I for one would vote for the dwarven cleric of kord. Now that archers can only use the 'best of' their equipment instead of combining the bonuses (ie., a +3 bow and a +2 arrow is no longer a cum of +5. It stays at +3),
3.0 cleric, not 3.5.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads