• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Adding versatility to a archer or monk..

animewatcha

First Post
Ability scores: 4d6 per stat. re-roll 1s. totally is atleast +1 modifier before racial / sterf or reroll. Keep track of the 6 stats rolls and distribute according to wishes.

Tome of battle is banned except for a couple of feats of SUS and Snap kick. Cannot be evil (starting out. Have to prove to DM one can be evil-evil and not killing spree/easy-way-out evil ). If use paladin, can only be LG ( or LE, but again a no-no. ) Incarnum is a no. Psionics is not messed with very much and I have nearly no knowledge of it so please nearly none of it. DMs I am with usually go with a mixture of monsters and mobs with equipment. It also isn't uncommon for my party to be total meleers or meleers with a little of offensive casting( like duskblade ). So assume no healer-healer or party-spellcaster-crafter. And party goes with what class levels they want for the character they wanna play and we all generally have varying levels of equipment so 100% optimization via equipment is nearly out the window. I generally don't know their classes ahead of time.

Wanting at most a total-LA of +1 or +2 only if desperate. Need multiple options in case of specific regional stuff ( like how dragonmarks/shards are only in eberron .)

Large size being pretty much a given for the fighter or monk so half-minotaur is likely option. I can see a dip into cloistered cleric for strength devotion ( and the ever-abused knowledge devotion ) combined with education regional feat. What domain or devotion would go well with this?

For the archer. Mainly what will aid in ranged disarm, and ranged sunder? I already know of spllitting enchantment and force enchancement and the blunt and slash arrows. What else is there? Levels are mostly pure 'fighter.' I acknowledge not being the party tank, not crowd control, etc. Ranged support being through damage, through limiting the enemy means of damage, etc. That and strength devotion can help sunder enemy weapons that come into melee with me. Basically, taking away from 'damage feats' to add 'more options' feats.

For the 'monk.' Using the dragon mag, fighter bonus feat variant ( no to epic feat cheese ). Going the opportunistic combatant approach so, tripping, disarming, sundering if need be. Call it troubleshooter if you want. Basically, if not doing damage, then screwing with their ability to fight if I can. Generally, adding options besides 'I punch their face in.' I don't mind that I won't be full-attacking all the time or that have lowered BAB.

Called shots are allowed at a -4 penalty. Flaws are allowed ( though generally use only 1. Might be able to convince for number 2. ) If 2 flaws, then no traits. If one flaw, then only one trait is allowed.

As far as sundering goes, party seems to be okay with it as it is needed.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
...I'm confused.

Is there a specific question in there?

I mean, I think I saw a few occasional questions, but I was having a hard time following exactly what you were saying.

Could you summarize your post into something brief and clear?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
On monk races: check out Githzerai or Anthro animals (like Ape) from Savage Species for large Dex bonuses (+6 or higher) and Wis bonuses.

Also in Savage Species, check out Feral, Winged and Multi-headed templates, possibly Reptilian or Insectile.

animewatcha

First Post
...I'm confused.

Is there a specific question in there?

I mean, I think I saw a few occasional questions, but I was having a hard time following exactly what you were saying.

Could you summarize your post into something brief and clear?

Given the above. What races/feats/item combos would help add a bit of versatility to an archer or a monk? Besides the general I do damage via arrow/punch.

Wyvernhand

First Post
I got nothing for the Archer. Archers are boring. Maybe Swift Hunter? Doesn't really "arch", since he has to stay within 30' for Skirmish.

For the "Monk", I'd go with either Half Giant or Goliath for the LA, or Half Mino if you feel really cheezy. Then build Monk2/PsychicWarrior18. Feats of note should be Monastic Training (ECS) at 2 in place of your Monk Bonus Feat and Tashalatora (Sec of Sarlona) at 3 as your general feat. Other feats of note would be Link Power (CPsi), Snap Kick, Imp Natural Attack, etc. Possibly with Imp Grapple since you'll be Expanding up to Huge or Gargantuan (with Half Mino). You'll have a ridiculously high grapple check with Expansion + Grip of Iron, high UAS damage to compliment it, and decent defenses and mobility with Inertial Armor, Hustle, Greater Concealing Amorphia, Weapon of the Vampire, Psionic Dim Door, etc.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Ah, ok. Are you sold on the Fighter as the base class for the archer? If not, I've got more suggestions.

So assuming you are dedicated to the Fighter build and don't want to detract too much from your Archer usefulness, some ideas:

1) I made a Fighter for a 1 shot game that had taken a feat to grant Perform as a class skill. Than, keeping max ranks in Perform (String Instrument), used the Anstruth Harp magical instrument line to cast spells as swift actions:

-Fochlucan Bandore 1350gp- Flare, Light, Mending, Message each 1/day
-Mac-Fuirmidh Cithern 2100gp- Cure Light Wounds, Mage Armor, Sleep each 1/day
-Doss Lute 4100gp- Delay Poison, Hold Person, Mirror Image each 1/day
-Canaith Mandolin 8100gp- Cure Serious Wounds, Dispel Magic, Summon Monster III each 1/day
-Cli Lyre 18100gp- Break Enchantment, Dimension Door, Shout Each 1/day
-Anstruth Harp 32100gp- Control Water, Mass Cure Light Wounds, Mind Fog each 1/day
-Ollamh Harp 50100gp- Control Weather, Eyebite, Repulsion each 1/day

This is the simplest method I know to add some casting diversity to a pure Fighter at the cost of a feat, skill points and gold.

2) Get an Arbalester Homunculus (Magic of Eberron p.152). Shoulder mounted sentient crossbow turret. What's not to love? Make 2.

3) Wild Cohort feat. Get yourself an animal companion, for all the reasons animal companions are useful.

4) Symbionts. Psionic Sinew from Fiend Folio p.218 and Throwing Scarab from Magic of Eberron p.157 are two of my favorites that may benefit the Fighter Archer.

5) Slippers of Spider Climbing 4800gp. 10 minutes per day, broken up however you want (That's any 60 rounds you want!), you can climb up non-slippery surfaces at a speed of 20'. Always find a sniper perch. Third story building? Large tree? Upside down on a cave ceiling? Check.

6) A Rust Monster Mount. Because everyone should have one.

Last edited:

Remove ads