• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5] Archers nerfed! Meleers/Spellcasters rejoice!

Marshall

First Post
green slime said:
I say, let them stack, nerf the darn spell.

I agree.

As long as you then let Magic Weapon affect 50 arrows were fine. Or even make a Magic Ammunition spell at second level that works like MW.

Nephet

First Post
GMW is the problem.

It shouldn't apply a different effect based on the target - arrows get extra damage and DR penetration, bows get plusses to hit and melee weapons get both. :confused:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Fifty different kinds?

What's your point?

"That magic bow isn't going to be enough. Magic will not overcome the werebeast - he must be struck with silver."
"My bow's got silver on it."
"Do I need to say it more slowly? He must be struck with silver."

-Hyp.

Murrdox

First Post
How is the fact that archers now have to carry different arrows different from a fighter? You're talking about a DR change, not an Archer change.

If Demons all have DR/holy silver

Then the fighter needs a +1 Holy silver longsword to hurt it.
An Archer has MORE options. He can have a +1 Holy Longbow firing silvered arrows, OR, he can have a normal longbow firing +1 Holy silvered arrows.

If Devils have DR/Good

Then the fighter needs a +1 Good-Aligned weapon to hurt it.
An archer needs either a +1 Good bow, or +1 Good arrows.

Since things like "Holy" and such are bestowed on ammunition, it's not a requirement that all the ammunition be enchanted in different ways.

The Archer needs to store different bows and ammunition for different situations... similar to how Fighters and such will now most likely begin carrying different weapons for different situations. ONE weapon won't do it anymore, unless you can afford a +6 or 7 weapon to get all the bonuses you could possibly need.

If anything, this HELPS the Archer. He has more ways to customize his attack to beat DR than the Fighter does.

dcollins

Explorer
Nephet said:
GMW is the problem.

I also agree. The far more elegant and less disruptive solution is to reduce GMW to affect a smaller amount of ammunition, be that 20, 10, 5, or even 1 (based on playtesting), whatever amount makes it helpful but still balanced.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:

What's your point?

"That magic bow isn't going to be enough. Magic will not overcome the werebeast - he must be struck with silver."
"My bow's got silver on it."
"Do I need to say it more slowly? He must be struck with silver."

-Hyp.

So? My point stands. A quiver of silver-tipped arrows is doable in a low-magic campaign. But try explaining why you have a veritable rainbow of magical projectiles in a campaign where +1 weapons are rare and coveted.

That goes for the fighter too. Having to wheel around a cart with all of the characters' extra weapons is a bit silly.

At least the numbers are being reduced to help the PCs cope.

--
Obviously magic doesn't have to enter into it with creatures that have mundane weaknesses. Cold wrought iron is an example of this, fire as well in some situations. But when you start getting into stuff that isn't delivered to the monster as easily, like cold, a magical weapon is preferrable.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
So? My point stands. A quiver of silver-tipped arrows is doable in a low-magic campaign. But try explaining why you have a veritable rainbow of magical projectiles in a campaign where +1 weapons are rare and coveted.

He doesn't need a rainbow of magical projectiles.

He needs some +1 arrows to beat DR/magic. That's it for magical projectiles.

The rest of the DR is either a/ special material DR, or b/ alignment DR that can be built into the bow, which was what you wanted in the first place.

-Hyp.

Creeping Death

First Post
Bran Blackbyrd said:

*snip*

Don't have to. D&D expects a certain level of magic for the CR system to work as is. If you are playing a low magic campaign, then you need to change some of the monsters' weaknesses or raise their CR/ECL.

Instead of holy, change it to washed in holy water or blessed by a cleric.

Instead of admantium, change it to silver mixed with bronze or something weird and rare like that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads