• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Can you use one classes spell slots to boost another classes metamagic?

Vegepygmy

First Post
I have no idea what you're really asking, but I'm going to bet the answer is no.

Can you be a little more specific what you mean by "boost?"

Jeffrie

First Post
Thanks Vege.
What i mean is; if i use Silent Spell Metamagic, it requires using up a spell slot higher. If a character is multiclassed can she use a second class (wizard) to pay for the spell being 'silented' slot in the 'first' class (druid) (and visa versa)?

Example: Druid want's to cast a first level spell with Silent Spell Metamagic. Can she use a second level Wizard slot to pay for it?

radmod

First Post
Normally, no.
However, if you had two separate arcane classes (like Wiz and Begulier) the Ultimate Magus Prc allows you to use up a spell slot of one class to apply the equivalent metamagic feat (e.g. you burn a 1st level spell to do Silent Spell).

I don't believe there's anything like that for Druid (or divines).

There are also a feat or a class that allows you to do something similar but I can't remember it right now. Perhaps someone else will chime in?

Persiflage

First Post
SRD said:
Spells modified by a metamagic feat use a spell slot higher than normal. This does not change the level of the spell, so the DC for saving throws against it does not go up.

Wizards and Divine Spellcasters: Wizards and divine spellcasters must prepare their spells in advance. During preparation, the character chooses which spells to prepare with metamagic feats (and thus which ones take up higher-level spell slots than normal).

So... no. Using metamagic means you memorise the spell with a higher-level slot than normal. Only the Ultimate Magus PrC - as radmod suggests - allows you to sacrifice spells from one class to power metamagic used on spells in a different class.

Persiflage

First Post
Just remembered: I think the feat that radmod was talking about it Alternate Source Spell, which lets you prepare divine spells as arcane or vice-versa. Won't help with what you wanted to do though :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads