• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] DM questions regarding the art of magic war

Alexander123

First Post
Of course, he was saying that because it takes more than a round he can look up on his next turn, whereas a reflex save would be required then and there. Of course if you are required to make the spot check then and there, you could spot it, which would only leave the question if you spot the boulder do you have enough time to move out of the way or is a reflex save required. The question was when do you spot the boulder. I was saying that spotting the boulder after six seconds isn't going to do him any good, so unless he spots the boulder as the wizard is letting it fall, he will not have enough time to move out of the way. Now if you cast invisibility on the boulder he would not be able to spot it anyways and would be caught unawares. It does not matter whether the boulder takes .25 seconds more to reach the ground, that is negligible.

One question, if you cast shrink item on the boulder and speak the command word for it to enlarge to its normal size after 3 seconds (100 feet down.) would the boulder still do 20d6?

Last edited:

anest1s

First Post
Of course, he was saying that because it takes more than a round he can look up on his next turn, whereas a reflex save would be required then and there. Of course if you are required to make the spot check then and there, you could spot it, which would only leave the question if you spot the boulder do you have enough time to move out of the way or is a reflex save required. The question was when do you spot the boulder. I was saying that spotting the boulder after six seconds isn't going to do him any good, so unless he spots the boulder as the wizard is letting it fall, he will not have enough time to move out of the way. Now if you cast invisibility on the boulder he would not be able to spot it anyways and would be caught unawares.

One question, if you cast shrink item on the boulder and speak the command word for it to enlarge to its normal size after 3 seconds (100 feet down.) would the boulder still do 20d6?

It would do the same damage no matter its size, me thinks...

Dross

Explorer
I would rule that .25 seconds is not enough time for the monster to be considered as having a chance to look up and step out of the way. I would still require a save. If a large boulder was falling on anyone in real life and they had .25 seconds to look and get out of the way, almost all of them would fail. Consider that the very act of looking is going to take up time. I would rule that the boulder hits their face the moment they look up.

So you don't consider there is any chance that the boulder and/or wizard are visible any time before the boulder is dropped because they are higher than the monster? Not even when leaving the ground?

I do wonder if an invisible boulder dropped is considered an "attack" by a strict reading of the rules, but I would consider it so.

Alexander123

First Post
In which case, the spot check DC would be near impossible and he would be forced to make a reflex save. Now I just need a reliable method of keeping time.

Dandu

First Post
Falling objects/creatures take damage to a maximum of 20d6. They deal damage according to weight and distance fallen. A table for this is given in the Complete Warrior.

anest1s

First Post
I think there is a "Bag of boulders" magic item somewhere...it would speed the whole thing...and it would be considered an attack.

Alexander123

First Post
If the wizard and boulder are visible then yes the person could be aware of them as the boulder leaves his hand. Unless you take steps to get a surprise round a spot check will be necessary, in which case the person can simply move out of the way. I don't consider it an attack, it is purely accidental that a person happens to be standing where I am dropping this boulder.

Dandu

First Post
Relevant portion of the spell description:

The spell ends if the subject attacks any creature. For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe. (Exactly who is a foe depends on the invisible character’s perceptions.) Actions directed at unattended objects do not break the spell. Causing harm indirectly is not an attack. Thus, an invisible being can open doors, talk, eat, climb stairs, summon monsters and have them attack, cut the ropes holding a rope bridge while enemies are on the bridge, remotely trigger traps, open a portcullis to release attack dogs, and so forth. If the subject attacks directly, however, it immediately becomes visible along with all its gear.

Alexander123

First Post
Falling objects/creatures take damage to a maximum of 20d6. They deal damage according to weight and distance fallen. A table for this is given in the Complete Warrior.
I don't have complete warrior, but does that mean that if the boulder is enlarged to normal size half way down, it only deals damage as if it had fallen 100 feet? I think the weight would be considered added (since it did not weigh that amount at 200 feet) at the time of being enlarged and therefore it would only be considered to have fallen 100 feet. To have it deal 20d6 you would have to enlarge it at 20d6.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads