• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] DM questions regarding the art of magic war

Magesmiley

Explorer
4. A wizard casts fly on himself and levitates on a big massive boulder making it weigthless and pushing it over a stationary or big slow moving target. He goes to maximum fall damage height , casts true strike and removes the levitate from the boulder. Any ideas about making these strategy more difficult? :rant::rant::rant:

So, having a particularly twisted thought about this one specifically, how about having an enemy wizard/sorcerer also cast levitate on the boulder while the wizard is dragging it around. If the PCs aren't paying attentention (or the NPC is invisible) they will have no idea. Just imagine the Wile E. Coyote moment for the wizard when he dismisses the levitate on the boulder and it just hangs there. It might be even more amusing if you have the (invisible) wizard have a readied action to cause it to move upwards with the levitate when the PC dismisses it.

anest1s

First Post
How about the NPc invisible and flying wizard, throwing a tanglefoot bag while the PC wizard pushes the stone? :p

LOL best kill ever o.0

TanisFrey

First Post
So, having a particularly twisted thought about this one specifically, how about having an enemy wizard/sorcerer also cast levitate on the boulder while the wizard is dragging it around. If the PCs aren't paying attentention (or the NPC is invisible) they will have no idea. Just imagine the Wile E. Coyote moment for the wizard when he dismisses the levitate on the boulder and it just hangs there. It might be even more amusing if you have the (invisible) wizard have a readied action to cause it to move upwards with the levitate when the PC dismisses it.
Feather Fall can be used on Objects and at range. The bolder fall is slowed to the point where no one is harmed. Even with the reduce item idea, 1 Feather Fall can be use on up to 1 object/person per level of the caster.

Great 1st level spell for a wizard to memorize when fighting Giants whom like to chuck rocks at him. Spell Compendium changed Feather Fall to an Immediate action to cast.

athos

First Post
Hi,
I'm an medium experienced DM with focus on storytelling but plaqued by power gamers in the group (currently Level 8, DnD 3.5) :.-(. Powergamers not by power character building but by "creative using of magic" in combat which i can not easily match due to lack of experience (or skill:blush:).

You have some great questions, that show you have a very creative group. I try to reward creative thinking with experience points just like I award xp for overcoming encounters and not just for defeating them in combat. My suggestion to you is that you make a ruling based on what you believe is logical, tell the players as soon as the ruling is made what it is, and then be consistent in enforcing it for both PCs and NPCs.

Your players might not like the ruling, but as long as they are notified of it and you are consistent in enforcing it for EVERYONE, then they must either go along or get along :). As a DM, I see myself as the referee between the players and the monsters/NPCs, even though I am the one that has written the encounters, I try to be fair and not arbitrary or too much in favor of one side or the other.

Some players will hunt the internet, looking for cheesy or broken things in the game and try to convince you to allow them, you are the DM though, and it is your option to refuse. If the PCs figure out a "broken" tactic, in spite of your rulings or because of them, that they use all the time to kill monsters and NPCs, there is absolutely no reason your NPCs and monsters can't hear of this "new strategy" and use it against the players.

In Living Greyhawk, the war between blasphemy and holy word got pretty ridiculous for a while making clerics a nuclear bomb in an otherwise normal combat. Both the mod writers and the senior players eventually had to agree that they would not "abuse" these spells along with DSP and items that boosted casting level.

I prefer to remove the cheese whenever I find it in my games, I purposefully do not give it to the encounters and try to be preemptive in not letting PCs have any either, I just like my games without a bunch of rules lawyering and loopholes, my personal preference. If the players whine too much, I just ask them if they would like me to make the encounters as cheesy as I think their character is, which usually ends the discussion and we can get back to gaming and RPing.

Best of luck to you, and hopefully your players will respect that you are the DM and the moderator of the game and that what you say goes. If they do not, you really do not want that person as a gamer.

Athos

Remove ads