• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 is Anime! Wait, what?

Xyl

First Post
Nytmare said:
Is this a trick question?

[sblock]
sideboob.jpg
[/sblock]
I laughed.

Nytmare

David Jose
Incenjucar said:
What they really need to do is to completely bypass "anime" and "typical fantasy" and go for a wide variety of art styles.

Bring on the 4E Cave Paintings and 4E Cubism.

Okay, maybe not Cubism, but I really wish they would embrace the VARIETY, and not just stick to pleasing specific existing fan groups.

I'm kinda on the other side of the spectrum. I would rather a rulebook, or better yet an entire system, have one unified style across the board.

Nothing bothers my artistic sensibilities more than having a variety of really different styles clashing together inside a book.

Oni

First Post
Nytmare said:
I'm kinda on the other side of the spectrum. I would rather a rulebook, or better yet an entire system, have one unified style across the board.

Nothing bothers my artistic sensibilities more than having a variety of really different styles clashing together inside a book.

I enjoy variety in artists and styles of painting, but I do agree that products need to have an over arching stylistic direction, some kind of style guide to direct a wide variety of artist toward a cohesive vision of a given setting. There are issues of identity and branding and just plain not jarring the reader as they're flipping pages.

BronzeDragon

Explorer
Rechan said:
Isn't that... like, raging anime? Spikey hair, HUGE sword, etc? So what the hell? I thought Anime influence into D&D was BAD. That it distracted away from D&D's roots and its feel, and all that.

I know I am in the minority, but I really, REALLY hate Reynolds' pieces.

It does remind me of anime and it just isn't for me. I hated them in the 3E MM as much as a I hate them now for 4E. So this isn't some newfangled antipathy that I developed "because of 4E".

Wolfspider

Explorer
I can see some criticisms of WAR's work as valid--the way he draws feet and musculature and facial expressions, for example.

But his work being influenced by anime? I don't see it one iota.

Please refer to the very informational and generally excellent thread about anime that was started several months ago for details. :p

Dark Mistress

First Post
I like WAR's art myself. yes there is a few problems with it, the feet being the biggest most times.

His art work does have a very slight anime look to them. But I think that is more because as things become more main stream everything else gets influenced by it. To me his art seems more pulp with a slight anime influence than anything. But each to their own, some of his stuff I don't like and some i love. most I just like.

But when it comes to art it is very very subjective, same with music. Yes art can detract or enhance a product, but i never judge a product solo on it's art. (talking about gaming books and other things where art is there to add to it but is not the focus of the product)

Now good or bad cover art can get me to pick up a book or over look a book. If I am meh about the title. It was WAR's art that actually got me looking at Eberon at first. I would like to see WotC and Paizo both use some of Mathew Wilson's art, he does a lot of the art for Privateer Press.

Corinth

First Post
The chick's a poser. Real warriors either wear armor that covers and protects their vital organs or wield shields that do the same job. This fake does neither, which is why she fails. (Yes, this includes your Red Sonjas; cover up or get stuck like a pig.)

Remove ads