D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 is the REAL reason everyone is angry

Glyfair

Explorer
F4NBOY said:
Worse than changing ideas is having no ideas to change at all.
Given the timing, there is no way some of their comments were "changing ideas." The one that said something along the lines of "we aren't working on 4E" clearly wasn't true.

Agamon

Adventurer
Ruin Explorer said:
Your name is inconcievably awesome. The sig, the pic, I love you, whoever you are (and on some level I pray you are Bugaboo).

:eek: Bugaboo! Could he be back? Man, I've never been so excited about something that I realy could care less about when it actually comes out. Getting there will be all of the fun! :D

GSHamster

Adventurer
In my opinion, I don't think WotC honestly saw it as that big a change. I think they thought it was closer to releasing a new base set for Magic. The old stuff would still be usable and playable.

Quite honestly the changes introduced in 6th Edition Magic were far greater than the changes introduced in 3.5E. They removed an *entire* class of cards. That's akin to removing the bard class, and saying all former bards are now rogues.

But clearly, they misjudged the reaction to 3.5E.

Thurbane

First Post
I was very lucky in that I went staright from 2E to 3.5 - I missed 3.0 altogether.

I'm planning on doing the same with 4.0 - I'm not going to rush out and buy it as soon as it hits the shelves, I'll stick with 3.5 until 4E has been around for a couple of years...

Eldragon

First Post
If WotC had offered a trade in program for 3.0 books to be upgraded to 3.5, it would have done a lot for the goodwill of the community. e.g. trade in you 3.0 PHB and get 15% off a 3.5 PHB. Doing the same from 3.5 to 4e would help a lot as well.

4 to 4.5... well I'm going to wait for 4e first.

P.S. I'm still mad about 3.5, and I will be until the end of my days. It was like a kick to the teeth without the rubber aftertaste.

F4NBOY

First Post
Odhanan said:
There's nothing more hollow than change for the sake of change. What you end up doing is more of the same with a different dressing.

Maybe it wasn't for the sake of change. Can you confirm that?
And come on, it's business.
It's not our best friend that let us down.
Our girl that dumped us.
Our dog that just left us for the neighbors.
It's business baby. They had a corporative motive to not let the information out, it's not their fault we are some damn curious impatient geeks.

And BTW, if every time the lie to us they come up with a new exciting product, they can lie to me as much as they want. They won't hurt my feelings at all. :lol:

Hail D&D!
Hail 4E!
Hail WOTC!

Last edited:

Odhanan

Adventurer
My statement wasn't about girlfriends and dogs, come on ! :p

I'm glad you rejoice in the coming of 4E ! I hope you and your friends have a good time at the game table. :)

Glyfair

Explorer
F4NBOY said:
They had a corporative motive to not let the information out, it's not their fault we are some damn curious impatient geeks.
There is a big difference between "not letting information out" and telling a deliberate falsehood. The first can be good business practice, the second can get you in legal trouble when done at the wrong time (especially when you are part of a publicly traded company). Most importantly, it can damage your relationship with your customers.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Odhanan said:
I hope you and your friends have a good time at the game table. :)

Which is, ultimately, what all of this is for.

I think WotC didn't handle the 3.5 thing very cleverly, but I found the biggest changes to be pretty good (Ranger, Bard, some spell fixing). I was dismayed at the breadth of the changes though. It was like an important set of bug fixes had morphed into a 3/4 revision.

Eric Tolle

First Post
I personally found the fuss over 3.5 bizarre.

I mean, other companies put out new versions every two years or so, with no real ill-will. Consider Call of Cthulhu; every three years or so they put out a new version that basically consists of altering some fonts, and nobody has a problem with it. White Wolf has gone through four versions of their World of Darkness, Hero is on its 5th edition, and you need a supercomputer to keep track of the Traveller editions. Yet for some reason, if a new version of D&D comes out any faster than a decade, people flip out. Go fig.

Remove ads